How can we improve Discord?

Option to turn off loading screen quotes

This really is a first-world problem, but the number 1 complaint I see and have about discord is the loading screen quotes. It's more than often the kind of humour most of us wish to avoid and we kindly ask if we could have an option to turn the quotes off when logging in. Thank you!

1,894 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LauraisLate shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

203 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Feathers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even in the context of "le epic meme culture" most of these jokes are outdated and unfunny. It just feels forced, like corporate people who are out of touch trying to market to a younger more internet savvy generation. It's similar to that Wendy's advert.

• bener commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also adding to this request. I can't help looking at it, it pops up on my main monitor, even when I always have discord on my secondary monitor. Most apps remember the screen they were on.

The loading screen is 'always on top' too, so it pops up in my face, and I can't help reading it and being irritated every time.

Don't go all out and remove the splash screen, just allow us to turn off the phrases. You can add new ones regularly so I would hope it's not too much to ask to have the option to have none at all.

• Flat Dragon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this suggestion 100%.

Those quotes were funny the first 250 times I read them, now they make me cringe or just look away.

Please add this to the user settings menu as soon as possible, dev team. Thanks in advance.

• srmalloy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is nothing about _any_ program that _requires_ splash screens when it loads. Splash screens exist solely to provide additional face time for something that the developers wanted to throw at the user, whether it's advertising or product branding or just proof that the program hasn't gone off into hyperspace and failed to load (one of the purposes of a progress bar). Adding an option to disable splash screens in Discord would actually speed up the program's startup, because it's not spending processor time drawing an animated window on the screen while it's loading. Having a window pop up in the middle of the screen on top of everything else you have on your screen that spins the Discord logo and tells you that "The gostak is distimming the doshes" or whatever tells you _nothing_ about the initialization of the program, and in fact the main loop of the program could have hung, leaving the animated splash screen spinning away. Being able to turn them off does not affect the people who are entertained by them, and satisfies the ones who've gotten tired of seeing the same messages over and over and over again.

• ps4star commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ame, how would this halt their progress on other features? It would take literally no more than 20 minutes to implement this. All they'd have to do is add an option to the settings menu.

• Ame_Rains commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to say that this is something easily ignored. I think you are totally justified and would deserve my upvote but the only problem is that i wouldnt want discord working on this instead of implementing a new cool feature. It is just something that would halt their progress on other things that would be a lot more cool and interesting.

• Windmill_Warrior_420 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

exactly this.
    i like the less formal approach, but it should stay serious.

half of Discord settings and "jokes" make me cringe my fucking spine out rather then laugh.
    remember that humor is subjective, some of us have passed the 9gag humor.

• Craiberk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. An option to disable something is useful for those who want to use it and it doesn't take away from those who don't. So stop whining, you literally have no way to reasonably object to this proposition.
    Fun is subjective. You may think quotes on the splash screen are funny, it doesn't change the fact that there are others who think they are cringy. "Fun" is not an argument either.

• dopeboyb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with post this is really annoying, it is so childish and alot of discord players are trolls kids and meme users. I am so sick of it. Please give an option to remove these retarded quotes.

• CallMeBaguette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There aren't any other voice/text channel applications that actually use this level of humour (as far as I am aware) so y'all have lots to pick from.

• CallMeBaguette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lol use a different application that is more oriented towards a serious crowd. The main reason a lot of people love discord is exactly because of all the memes and jokes they integrate into it.

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I DONT LIKE FUN AND I DONT WANT ANYONE ELSE TO HAVE FUN :REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:

• speedweasel* commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord devs should realise a growing number of their customer are adults and are unimpressed by the sniggering meme culture behind loading screen messages. It gives the impression that the kids are running the orphanage and cartoon frogs and homophobia can’t be far behind.

• Craiberk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love it how a huge crowd of people are saying "If you don't like it, close your eyes and ignore it", whilst at the same time as they voice their dislike of this idea. "Do as I say, not as I do", lol.
    Another group of people that I cannot help but find amusing is the crowd that says "I find it cute/funny, so it should stay", as if an *option* to disable something will take the thing they like away from them, instead of being an option for someone else to remove a frustrating element from their daily lives.
    Goddamn, people are... not smart.

• Kaaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

these people
    "hurr durr just close yeur eyes!?!"
    smh, you have my vote.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base