How can we improve Discord?

Toggle the offline member list

I understand that this was just reverted from only being toggled off if a server has 100+ members. But please let us be able to toggle it off. It lags mobile clients, and completely hard crashes it most of the time. It also really slows performance on desktop as well. Even having an option in the server menu to hide it for yourself would be great. Just something.

2,814 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tombstone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

107 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • numbermaniac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The member list doesn't even fully load unless you deliberately choose to scroll down the list. My 5 and a half year old iPad doesn't have any performance issues even on servers with 10,000+ members because only the first 100 or so in the list load unless you scroll down it. No way it "hard crashes most of the time".

• lou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello !

It's a good idea yes! But I think it's better if this feature is for users on profile settings.

• Zandrae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow us to turn 'show offline users' on a channel by channel basis.

There are some situations where I'd like to see offline members even if my server is large:
    1) A time out channel. I'd like to easily see if people put there are still there.
    2) A welcome channel. I prune people who haven't set a rank after 1 month. Because there's no proper filtering of ranks, and I can now no longer see offline members it's much harder to prune inactive members. (Inactive meaning, hasn't set a rank, regardless of online status.)

• Banlish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we're going to have toggle functionality can we please have it per channel, it makes running the mods/staff section insanely annoying when you have to go into server settings each time if you don't remember everyones exact name (and we have like 44 mods/staff members) so we're respectfully requesting that it be a toggle AND it be a toggle per channel. I'm practically begging so it's easier to see people to send messages, delegate tasks and keep discord being practical and a useful tool, not something that makes communication harder and more cumbersome.

• NickPDX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want server admins to be able to toggle this feature, but the user instead. You should be able to set which servers you want to see an offline list in, and no matter what the owners say, you get the offline list or don't.

• Stripe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please allow us to do this x3 this is essential for moderation in large communities

we can't even see which admins can see which rooms because it doesn't show the ones who are offline, and we have 60-80ish admins in total

• Master commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously. Discord.. how hard can it be to make this a toggle instead of removing choice from us? You know you're going to add this in the future... Just do it already. This just creates unneeded fatigue and annoying workarounds. Non-staff having to add members that are offline as friends? So predict the future of who you'll ever decide to DM after you have a question regarding their post, or DM'ing to help... How's this even a valid solution? TOGGLE IT, damnit! Wumpus is shaking his head.

• JohnWayne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's very inconvenient not being able to see my offline members and staff. I would very much appreciate an option to toggle it on/off rather than be forced to have this. It creates more steps and hassle for me to keep track of inactive staff and members. I haven't had any lag or crashing via mobile or computer when I could see them and as I can see in the comments hardly anyone else has either.

• DylanIninf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I believe we should be able to toggle it on and off at the server members tab any time you would like. I am the CEO of a company and we would like for the new people to think we "Have more meat on our bones" because they will go to another place if they are not on the list.

• Noah F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I believe we should be able to toggle it on and off at discord upon achieving 100+ members.

• Jimpix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know it may still have the lag, but possibly give us the option to toggle it back on even if a server has 100+ members.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base