How can we improve Discord?

Dyslexic and Visually Impaired Accessibility

Add options for custom fonts, colors, sizes, etc. for those who need easier visual access. I am dyslexic and cannot use the desktop app because of the font style. The most I can do is zoom in on my system to make the entire application bigger, but that doesn't help much at all. I would also like to add a colorblind mode to make the app more accessible to those who are colorblind (this especially is an issue with the online status bubbles), as well as a custom background color option. I have several friends who need to use the dark theme for eye strain reasons, and several friends who need to use the light theme because they have some form of blindness and need that higher contrast. Making a custom background color, like the member role custom color options, would be perfect for people who need a kind of grey that is in the middle, or for colorblind people who need a different color all together.

9,452 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

instalocks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminDabbit Prime (Admin, Discord) responded  · 

Hey there! We now have a Dyslexic font available for testing on our Canary build! Don’t know how to get our canary build? Simply join https://discord.gg/discord-testers and read the #faqs channel to learn all about it!

More accessibility improvements will continue to come in the future, so make sure to give yourself the Accessibility role (A11y) to get notified through that server when there’s something new to test!

595 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • xSepticSidx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Dabbit - please get an actual dyslexic on the team that decides how to help dyslexics, and a visually impaired person to help decide whats good for them and so on.
    That would be the best way to help us.
    Thank you for trying though.

• dyeitblue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A high contrast mode definitely needs adding. The use of greys-on-greys rather than straightforward black/white can be visually very tiring.

• 3amar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% I'm dyslexic as well and we need this atleast let us select the font size or change the backround colour

• Kano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it did help me! but it does need to be smaller or sync better with your settings sad it was removed I did love it and it did help me alot as is just wish it could be a bit more nicer in font while also helpful i do hope it comes back soon

• Katya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the invite button isn't working for me? On android 9, Google Pixel 1.

• Count Blecknoir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I appreciate the effort! But it's uh, huge and kind of really uncomfortable to look at! Also doesn't really seem to help make things easier to read, at least not for the short while I used it..

• Kano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree it's overly big and ugly maybe make it smaller and make it a little nicer?

• Keybounce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just got notice that you have a new dyslexic font. On one hand, I want to thank you for adding dyslexic support.

But I can't. You messed it up so badly it isn't funny.

** Adding dyslexic support does not mean "adding support for one new font that we have chosen that we are certain works best for you". **

The font that you have chosen looks as ugly as open dyslexic. It is larger than normal fonts for the same font size. And it doesn't do anything to improve readability.

The phrase that I am used to hearing is "we eat our own dog food". And in this case, I don't think you do.

I don't think you use this font. I don't think you've tried it out. And if you did it, I don't think that you would like it.

If you are going to stick a new text string in your CSS to specify a new font, then let us choose what text string we want to put in there. Let us choose the font that we want to use.

I am still back to having to use the inspector (command option I) and manually altering your CSS live every time the helper program resets and reloads. It is so much easier in the browser version because I can simply load in a stylesheet editor and make that change once and it will always be there. But the browser version can't properly access my microphone.

• RousJuice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

even though i can totally read discord fine, being visually impaired makes using a lot of things a huge pain and this is an appreciated decision! <3 thank u discord team

• LanFour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not dyslexic, but I feel so happy for them now, thanks for listening and thinking about the accessibility of the app.

• Wooferdill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is super exciting! I'm not dyslexic, but I have several friends who are and I know they're SO pumped. Thanks for listening to the community!

• mwindsong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, we could use a way to enlarge the profile picture. BTW, why does the support screen claim to have found 50 or more results, but only show a limited number of them without an obvious way to look through the rest of the results???

• mwindsong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a lot of difficulty reading the text in this app regardless of whether I use the dark or light setting. The grey used on light setting is too faint to read easily, the font is way too small, some people color their text somehow and that makes it hard to even see it on dark setting, & I cant even see the text in sunlight. We need options for the display: text size, font, color, a way to override the color from the sender, & background color options for a middle ground between dark and light.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 29 30

Feedback and Knowledge Base