How can we improve Discord?

Bring back our selfbots!

Hi discordians. We get why you wanted selfbots gone, but we miss the utility of them, and bots often don't suffice. So here is my suggestion.

Option one: Bring back selfbots, but only for nitro users. This way you can combat everyone and their brother using a selfbot OR if everyone does use one, you make some money from it.

Option two (my favorite): Bring back selfbots, but with a dedicated selfbot api. Let it have higher ratelimits than regular accounts to combat spammers. Along with this, you could even possibly add a selfbot setting in the server settings, disallowing it for servers who don't want it.

While I get that some may have been used for the powers of evil, most people just found them fun to play with, and very useful! We miss our selfbots, discord!

1,278 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

210 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joshek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Play with you say, you should say nuke servers and blatantly use them for nefarious purposes. I highly doubt they'd ever support them in any way, also, how would a selfbot get blocked from server settings? Keep dreaming.

• Toby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No for option 1, I'm not a self bot fan really at all but if it was for Nitro only that'd be extremely unfair

• Harsh Noise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only for nitro users? That's a horrible idea. Nothing sickens me more than a paywall. I had a bot owner join my server and I had his bot. He ended up getting owner privileges over me as the creator of the bot so I had to kick it. Nothing would be more obnoxious than having some smug nitro user joining and getting a ton of selfbot privileges and whatnot. Your second option seems much more reasonable. Making it a little more regulated and available for all is always the best way to go in my opinion.

• ⌬ iHack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree, I remember back in the days when I used a selfbot so I could collect information on various users and other data, collect data from my server, and interact with my programming environment from Discord. This was a very nice solution when I'm on a mobile and I didn't have access to a terminal to access my vps, so instead I'd use Discord chat to interact for me. Bots could have been used for this purpose, but would also make a lot of stress to have to host a discord for that purpose alone. Selfbots were just really helpful to walk around in a programming environment.

• Santo04df commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

reactivate the selfbot but create a application of delevopper options
    for the selfbot ,

• BOTS Studios commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i know right some people would find it fun to use and just have fun with them and i wanted dto try selfbotting but could not cuz could not find my own token so LOL *i was just gonna be messing around now like and i also would like it to be bringed back*

• Kupo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i only used a selfbot to add discord desktop features to discord mobile since they're missing (/shrug, /tableflip, etc). now that they're against tos, i'm literally missing out on features that discord allows, but didn't bother programming into their mobile app.

• MyriaCore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've seen a lot of arguments here, and I just want to break a bunch of them down here.

1) "Making space for selfbot users would make it easier to write a spambot and harder to get banned for it"

I think there are 2 approaches to this design problem that are equally valid. IMO it's hard to argue that it's difficult to implement a system that detects whether or not a selfbot is malicious or not. Most servers already have spam protection in the form of raid police, or discord bots that monitor channel traffic on a per-user basis, and monitor the frequency of API calls within the different channels. If a single account or multiple accounts are making similar API calls at inhuman rates, you can bet its either a bunch of people copy pasting, or a bunch of bots spamming. If the users are able to write logic that achieves this using the tools Discordapp has given them, it's unreasonable to conclude that the devs at Discordapp themselves couldn't also write that same logic.

2) "A selfbot API would be stupid / impossible because all requests go through the discord API."

There are a lot of different forms of this argument, but the gist is that there is one REST API for discord that all requests go through, so to make a whole new API would be redundant and bad. This is true, obviously, but if we sorta paraphrase what OP meant here from userspeak to devspeak, you can glean that all they want is facilities for bot authors to better write selfbots. The discord api has specific facilities for bots that are unavailable for user accounts, like rich embeds. This is because the API recognizes user and bot accounts as seperate. Arguably, we could create a selfbot account type alongisde the user and bot account type. I'll admit, I don't know much about API design, but I feel like among stupid ideas, this wouldn't be the stupidest. I'll also argue that this isn't the ONLY way to include facilities for selfbots, this is just one way that I thought of off the top of my head. There is always going to be a way to make space for different user accounts, to think otherwise is just silly.

3) "This post, and OP's post breaks Discord TOS because they both advocate for the return of selfbots, which advocates for platform abuse"

OK, there's a lot to unpack here. IMO even if we assume that everything in a claim like this is true, it shouldn't stop a user from being able to post an opinion like that in a suggestions forum. That would make it hard to keep an open mind because it limits the amount of discourse to only topics that "doesn't advocate for platform abuse". I hate to say it, but this sorta environment reeks of McCarthyism, and it's not one that's helpful to the actual task at hand, which is evauluating a user suggestion for the benefit of the platform.

That being said, selfbots do in fact violate Discord TOS under some kind of platform abuse section, but in their feedback section, I can't find anything about the censorship of posts that advocate things that violate TOS, so I think it's safe to say that neither this post nor OP's post was in violation, although I just sorta skimmed it, so I might have missed stuff. https://discordapp.com/terms

Look, no matter how frustrated you guys get at people who spam with selfbots, or raid servers with selfbots or what have you, it's just childish to want it banned under TOS because of that. Self bots exist on most platforms, and they continue to exist regardless of whether or not they're banned by TOS. It's in our best interest to provide authors with superior tools to write their selfbots, so we can design those tools to make it harder to design with abuse in mind.

Ultimately, if someone's raiding your servers up with selfbots, it's not a good course of action to call for them to be banned, it's typically better to find ways to defend yourself. Bring in raidpolice, bring in adminbots, maybe ask the guys at discord to implement similar functionality into the API calls. But banning them outright is like banning self-driving cars the first time someone has an accident.

• gabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely hard to implement on Discord’s side and it would open up the opportunity to making spambots (which are already made, but this just makes it easier to make one without getting banned for selfbotting)
    Other reasons are said by people below and I agree with them

• RiotIsBored commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've known several people who've used selfbots (I used one for a little while, though stopped because I didn't wanna be banned) and Christ I loved them. I wholly agree with bringing back selfbots — preferably to everybody, not just Nitro users.

• Noxillio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If UserVoice had a "Vote Down" button, I'd be hitting it about 10 times. A "selfbot API" would be impossible because the way that user accounts communicate through Discord is through the Discord API. Bot accounts use the same API. Everything you do with Discord goes through the one Discord API. Ergo, creating a separate API would likely take more work than would be deemed "worth it" by the development team. In addition, currently any ratelimit put on your user account also applies to a selfbot as they use the same token and therefore the same account.

Also, making them exclusive to Nitro users would be a ridiculous limitation.

I don't know if you've ever coded your own bot (or self-bot), but if you have then it may be easier to understand why this idea would be impractical.

• Speed Of Light commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! And I have to admit, I used a self-made selfbot for about 1-2 months ago, but I also found out shortly after that it was illegal to do so, and after I found out I haven't used one on Discord anymore.

Only reason I'd like to use selfbot is mostly just to mess around with friends only, and do so too in a controlled, strict and "kind" way. And I would stop using it if a friend said "that's enough", so I wouldn't abuse it.

Plus, since you can't spam like 500000 messages in under a second (which definitely is good) then spamming with a selfbot is pretty restricted too, therefore, in that sense, there are no worries about that regarding selfbots.

Also, selfbots can EASILY be abused even though they are illegal, so in that way, it mostly doesn't matter if they are legal or illegal.
    Like, I could turn a fully functional and working selfbot for Discord on right now if I wanted to, but since I want to be a kind Discord user to the owners and managements behind Discord itself, I will not use any selfbot unless it's somehow permitted.

In short, I definitely vote for this suggestion and the options Mel have provided!

• pope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This breaks Discord's Terms of Service. You shouldn't be advocating the selfbots' return, as this has a lot of potential for platform abuse...

• Deleted User 3GNxaNez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to make my bots respond to users when i'm away with automated messages too!
    If self-bots are removed, then why does the auto-response still exist in phones?
    Pretty much the same concept, you can simply limit or restrict some functions like mass adding others as friends using the bot API when it's being used by a self-bot, but please just add it back, we need it.

• Micky-kun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

disregarding the fact that people have abused the api because of this, i feel this would be very beneficial. ive seen people use self bots before self bots were banned, and i thought it was the coolest shit. even the api has features that are only available for selfbots, so why even have them in there to begin with? i understand their decision to ban selfbots, but theres got to be a better way to regulate this.

• h0r1zon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Option 1 and 2 put together would be great, considering Discord is a free service and I doubt they're very profitable at this point. Maybe, instead provide the selfbots within Discord altogether. Removes the ability to misuse it if Discord themselves is running it.

• Crowfooted commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree on both points. Selfbots are really awesome and there are ways to reduce issues of misusing bots. At the end of the day, server admins have the power to ban people who are misusing/spamming with selfbots, and this would be even more reliable if the feature is only available to Nitro users.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base