Server Roles Page Makeover
Hiya! Recently I was inspired to take what Discord's current server roles page looks like and give it a huge revamp, changing & adding quite a few things to help management in the roles feel cleaner and more organized. In redesigning this page to fit how I would enjoy seeing it, I created a list of the things that have been changed in the concept image below:
- Hovering over & selecting roles now has an animation, making the focused role larger while all the others are packed neatly together.
- All roles marked "Administrator" now have a special icon next to them in the list as a reminder, much like ones that are locked (Perhaps this could work with "managed" roles that bots are automatically assigned with as well).
- Added exclusive Roles page "dividers" to better help organize server roles. I know, you'll barely ever look at the Roles page, but it's still nicer than clustering all the roles together, or having to create ones that *look* like dividers. The dividers will act as categories, and can be collapsed along with the roles under it. The help message below the roles was also tweaked a bit.
- Added a single button to create & search for both roles and dividers. Typing in a name will either let you 1.) Select a role or divider that fits said name, or 2.) Create a new role or divider if the name does not already fit one (You can still create roles & dividers that have the same names as others).
- Spruced up the Role Name & Color section:
1. You can now select colors from a plethora of different modes, much like photo-editing softwares such as Photoshop offer. (To reset back to the original blank color, you can either select pure black or erase the hex code in its designated box).
2. You can add a description of up to 256 characters to a role. When @pinging a role in Discord, you can hover over the text as it highlights, but nothing happens. Adding a description to the role would instead show there, potentially along with a higher-detail name & color.
3. Put the Administrator and Delete Role options right at the top with the basic role settings, as they are quite important compared to the others. The Administrator option was also tweaked to show how risky it is.
- Lastly but not least, I took all the role permissions and organized them into their own categories, all of which are also collapsible (if you REALLY need to). Here's what they have:
1. "Display role separately from others" and "Allow anyone to @ping role" options are kept at the top, being that they are two of the most significant permissions out of the rest.
2. MANAGEMENT - All permissions tagged with "Managing" have been put into this category, as well as the "View Audit Log" option as well.
3. MODERATION - These are lesser roles compared to Management, but they fit more along the lines of casual moderation of a server. The "Mention @everyone and @here" and "Priority Speaker" options were placed in here as well.
4. GENERAL - The last of the categories contains all of the basic, less-important permissions that usually nobody touches, unless to have a punishment role. "Read & See Text & Voice Channels" was put on top.
5. All three named categories have options to switch on or off all of the permissions in it at the top, along with an "(All of the below)" message to help users know what it does.
6. Almost all of the permissions that didn't have them were given descriptions, as well as the changing of some existing descriptions. The only permissions that don't have them are clear enough in their titles.
That is everything that has been changed in this concept image. It would be great to see some / all of the things I made included in Discord, as it would help greatly in organization and cleanliness. Thanks for reading, and if you have any criticism / suggestions, I'm open to hearing it!
As a server owner, I'd find this alot easier to manage for a much easier expierience finding commands & role catagories!
Gods yes, this + collapsible server roles would be perfect!
This is gorgeous. Absolutely!
👻 GoldenPixel 👻 commented
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS do it please
this would be really helpful for servers with a lot of roles and it would overall look better for roles and help people have the discords better set up
I love this! make this happen please!
Yes! Yes! Yes!
We need this. Much better to see who can do what. Very good managing server site. :)
Would love to see this!
I'd be hugely up for this, +1, YES
Dayum what a neat idea, I hope something like this will be done in the near future!
Please make this a thing, PLEASE.
In all honesty this would be really helpful to have. It would help with organization, it would help with role settings, and it looks a lot nicer in general.
Mazzy 💮 commented
I would suggest the icons by “administrator” roles be changed to a badge that can be enabled or disabled, that way you can maybe mark the most important roles if you don’t have administrators.
I also wonder if the badge should be displayed by users names like the crown an owner has, but that’s a different discussion.
Swap out the picker for the original swatches, I would like to keep the colors simple (with an option to use the picker)
other than that wow that's a nice mockup
I would enjoy this concept very much. Upvoted.
I would only change or add ONE thing. For the colour selection, I would prefer a swatches display. I have a very difficult time using this rainbow color picker. Even in my graphics programs the first thing I change is the display as swatches.
This is an arthritis hand-mobility-control issue.
This would make my life a lot easier right now as I'm making new servers from scratch. I think people with OCD would benefit a lot from this. I'm constantly double-checking to make sure I didn't glance over a permission. Grouping these into categories would help.
Kurisu Kurosu commented
Please add this. It's awesome.