Discord Dream Land

How can we improve Discord?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow only admins/moderators to mention certain roles

For example, let's say there's a beta tester role. We don't want everyone to be able to mention that role, that would lead to tons of spam and abuse. Why not have an option to allow just admins to mention that role instead of everyone?

1,492 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

56 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. role category

See since I've heard that Channel Category has been coming out and now i have seen it in Canary, i was wondering if you guys would do a Role Categories like the channels. It would be useful for a server with a big amount of roles. I haven't thought of how to do like the level of permissions like it is now but i wouldn't be surprised what you, discord devs, think of because you guys are astonishing. You guys never disappoint in what you guys do new to the servers aspect!

184 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make 'admin' role non-movable by 'moderator' role

I mean, I don't want the moderators to be able to move me to another voice room on my server. I've tried it with a friend, who had only the moderator role, and he was able to move me to another channel, even if the admin role, which I had, is higher in the role list than the moderator.

122 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Roles changed to tree diagram

1) Google images for tree diagram.

2) Change the current Role/permission ladder to the tree diagram

Why: Allows for better granting of permissions and leadership assigning. Can also be made to look more graphically intuitive and pleasing to look at.

Main point: one branch should not be able to affect the other branches permission wise, because they are different branches, they have nothing to do with each other, so separate them. The ladder system doesn't allow that.

78 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. secret roles

It would be useful if server admins could create secret roles which can't be seen by regular users. For example, it would allow the moderator of a game of Werewolf to give the werewolves permission to talk in a private channel without giving away the werewolves' identities to the remaining players.

46 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. No perms for new roles

When a new role is created, it shouldn't have any permissions.

Right now, it copies all of the permissions from @everyone, so I get a lot of redundancy in my roles. Everyone is already a member of @everyone, so there's no reason to assign somebody a role with the same permissions as @everyone.

For example, if I create a "Moderator" role, that role does not need "Read Messages." Everyone I promote to "Moderator" can already read messages because everyone is already @everyone. "Moderator" would just need "Kick."

In fact, it makes a lot of redundancies; if I decide I don't…

27 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Mention all users who have not explicitly muted a channel

I moderate a large server with many different channels, each for specific interests. I would like a way to mention everyone without mentioning people who have specifically opted out of notifications for a channel. That way, you can mention people who are interested, while leaving those who aren't alone.

40 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Joinable Ranks

So I run a Roleplay Discord. Its for a garry's mod server. So theres like "Dispatcher" rank and ranks like "Cop" "FBI" "Storm Chaser" "Mayor" "EMS" "Fire Fighter" "CIV" and "Criminal" so I want the SOME of those ranks to be joinable. So I thought maybe while your making a new rank and adding the permissions theres a thing where it says "Make rank Joinable" instead of ALL RANKS JOINABLE or NO RANKS JOINABLE why not make the ones YOU WANT JOINABLE, JOINABLE. I thought this would be a good idea because I don't want a admin of mine to…

24 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Categories for Roles

Since the introduction of categories came out for channel categories, I wonder if it's possible to have categories for roles.

It still follows the idea of the hierarchy, but having categories for roles will help with organizing the roles section.

For example:

Category 1 (Highest Category): it contains role 1, role 2, and role 3. Role 1 will still be highest, then role 2, and so on.

Category 2 (Right below Category 1): contains role 4 and role 5. Role 4 is in category 2, but in terms of hierarchy, it is under role 3.

And this can continue on…

25 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Selecting from Role Colors

Rather than allowing people to choose their own colors from anything, allow them to choose the color they want from all of the roles they have.

Example: Somebody has a Blue Role, a Red Role, and a Green Role, and the Red one is at the very top. However, if someone has the Red and Green role, but want to be Green. Give them a setting that lets them choose between Red and Green.

48 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. You shouldn't be able to move people higher than you between voice channels.

People with move access shouldn't be able to move people at a higher role. For example, someone with a "Moderator" role shouldn't be able to move someone with an "Administrator" or "Owner" role. (This example is of course different for each server, but you get the gist, right?)

120 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Owner Invite Permission Adjusments

1. Allow the owner the adjust the exact time of an invite until it expires. (This will be the time when any invite is created)
    2. Let the owner adjust exactly how many uses an invite can allow.
    3. Owner can create a custom overview of the server so when you type in a link to a discord server, the name, overview, and number of members shows up.

21 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Administrator Approval

Adding a new setting that would be called “Administrator Approval” that would make it so every major change made by a person with big server changing capabilities, but not server admin, would have to get Admin approval to make big changes like deleting channels or other things, would be nice.

This way, people would be given permissions, but would still have to get any of the server admins go ahead. The setting could even be called “Admin’s Go Ahead”. That way, no accidents would happen.

Notifications for admins could pop up like a message does and when new changes are…

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Simplified and Advanced Role/Hierarchy

Hello Everyone!

I know it's been brought up many times about a new Hierarchy for Discord Servers and I know some of them have been kicked back by the devs cause it will make things confusing for people. This I do understand having an extensive background in IT, you always want what is easiest for an end user. This is why I am suggesting have a "Simplified" and "Advanced" permissions menu for roles.

In "Simplifed" setup the permissions for roles and the hierarchy would stay the exact same, whatever is above another role can assign the one below it. That's…

1,054 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

27 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. badges for colorblind accessbility

I moderate a few discords that have 400+ members. all of them have moderator roles, which are color denoted.

In these discords, we have 'color' roles (among other ones) to allow creative presentation for our members, so they can express themselves w/ a color that isn't tied to any specific privileges.

Unfortunately, we also have to use the colors to denote 'moderators' so regular chatters know when the remarks made / moderation done has weight behind it.

This means anyone w/ colorblindness may mix up the colors, & stuff isn't as clear. It also limits the expression of color the…

23 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Can we add Custom Emoji to server roles?

https://imgur.com/a/uozDn

It's making me pretty depressed because of my OCD.

14 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Warning Without a Bot

Have a warning feature that allows moderators and administrators of servers to warn users instead of just warning them verbally or kicking or banning them. Every time a person gets warned, they will get a screen that says "You have been warned, please follow the rules". It would show how many strikes someone when you click on their name, and if they get 3 strikes, they get a kick automatically, and if they get 9 warnings, they are banned.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Read Message History tweak

At the moment, the permission Read Message History doesn't work in the way I believe its intended to work.

If you deny it for a channel, people with discord open can see the messages created from that point forward but **only if they keep discord open.**

As soon as they close discord and reopen it, they will no longer be able to see any of the messages that were written *after* the permission change but *before* they closed discord.

The way the permission should work is that if it is denied to a certain role in a channel, anyone with…

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Shift/Ctrl Click for Setting Multiple Role Permissions in 1 Click!

Shift (or ctrl) click permissions for setting multiple roles with the same permission.

Example: I have 10 roles. I select all of them. I click "read messages". All 10 roles now have "read messages". Victory is yours.

20 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Extend character limit for certain servers.

It would be great if there was a form a server owner could fill out to request a character limit increase for their server.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 35 36
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base