Discord Dream Land

How can we improve Discord?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. secret roles

It would be useful if server admins could create secret roles which can't be seen by regular users. For example, it would allow the moderator of a game of Werewolf to give the werewolves permission to talk in a private channel without giving away the werewolves' identities to the remaining players.

252 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. role category

See since I've heard that Channel Category has been coming out and now i have seen it in Canary, i was wondering if you guys would do a Role Categories like the channels. It would be useful for a server with a big amount of roles. I haven't thought of how to do like the level of permissions like it is now but i wouldn't be surprised what you, discord devs, think of because you guys are astonishing. You guys never disappoint in what you guys do new to the servers aspect!

395 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make 'admin' role non-movable by 'moderator' role

I mean, I don't want the moderators to be able to move me to another voice room on my server. I've tried it with a friend, who had only the moderator role, and he was able to move me to another channel, even if the admin role, which I had, is higher in the role list than the moderator.

274 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow only admins/moderators to mention certain roles

For example, let's say there's a beta tester role. We don't want everyone to be able to mention that role, that would lead to tons of spam and abuse. Why not have an option to allow just admins to mention that role instead of everyone?

1,859 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

88 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Roles changed to tree diagram

1) Google images for tree diagram.

2) Change the current Role/permission ladder to the tree diagram

Why: Allows for better granting of permissions and leadership assigning. Can also be made to look more graphically intuitive and pleasing to look at.

Main point: one branch should not be able to affect the other branches permission wise, because they are different branches, they have nothing to do with each other, so separate them. The ladder system doesn't allow that.

127 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add the ability to selectively enable or disable roles that can be pinged by certain roles

While the ability to disable @everyone and @here pings is already in Discord, a menu that allows administrators of a server to limit the amount of roles a certain role can ping would be much appreciated.

41 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Role Prioritization

Allow people to have roles higher in channel settings to have their permissions come first. For example if you want a specific role to see the chat and another role that cant then the role that cant will still be able to see it if the user has the role that can. Taking away the role also wont help as its automatically put on and the bot will refresh every so often.

The solution I have is to make it so roles higher up have a better priority. Also allow people to have their server or channels able to switch…

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Simple & Advanced Permissions (Switch On Choice)

Say for this, add either a new option in the moderation tab to enable/disable advanced permissions. Or, add a new tab called advanced (which would make a gateway to more settings). have a permission called "Change Advanced Options" (which would make a completely new tab/section more practical) .

Turning on advanced permissions would split permissions like "manage messages" into "delete messages" and "pin messages", and split "Read Text Channels & See Voice Channels" into "Read Text Channels"and "See Voice Channels"

The toggle could either be server side, or activated with developer mode (which anyone who is anyone has on :P)

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Making so only a certain group can mention anither group

Ever get the feeling when someone mentions @batman, when it really should only be @superman who can mention @batman? Well, my idea solved that!

With a new feature in the Roles panel, you would now be able to deny certain users or groups to mention @batman! Great isn't it? That way other people won't have to be mentioned by people that wasn't supposed to mention them.

14 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Administrator Approval

Adding a new setting that would be called “Administrator Approval” that would make it so every major change made by a person with big server changing capabilities, but not server admin, would have to get Admin approval to make big changes like deleting channels or other things, would be nice.

This way, people would be given permissions, but would still have to get any of the server admins go ahead. The setting could even be called “Admin’s Go Ahead”. That way, no accidents would happen.

Notifications for admins could pop up like a message does and when new changes are…

28 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Automatic Role Assignment for New Users (Default Role Options) (Role Automation)

Allow for automatic assignment of specified roles to new users.
    Ex: New User joins and is given one or more 'default' roles.

I would like the ability to specify one or more roles as a 'default role' which could be automatically assigned to new users.

Currently to do something like this you either:
    • Find a bot (including having to figure out whether you create your own, use a self-hosted public bot, or rely on someone else's hosted public bot), configure it so it can set roles, and then tell your users to use the bot commands to assign themselves…

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. No perms for new roles

When a new role is created, it shouldn't have any permissions.

Right now, it copies all of the permissions from @everyone, so I get a lot of redundancy in my roles. Everyone is already a member of @everyone, so there's no reason to assign somebody a role with the same permissions as @everyone.

For example, if I create a "Moderator" role, that role does not need "Read Messages." Everyone I promote to "Moderator" can already read messages because everyone is already @everyone. "Moderator" would just need "Kick."

In fact, it makes a lot of redundancies; if I decide I don't…

34 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. role look update

With the new update, how the roles look when you click on someone on the right hand side.. I hate the new look of them, you can barley see the color of the role and it just is so hard to read if you have a lot of roles. I liked the old look of the roles, not these new ones. Also in the role list in server settings, the roles now have no color, the only time you see the color is when you click on the role. That just makes it way harder to see the color cause…

18 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Permissions & Roles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Multicolored Role(s)

Having the option to put multiple colors in a role could be a neat way of signifying higher ranks such as Owners, Admins, Moderators, Etc.Or even just having it for fun, like having color sets based on whatever.

It'd probably only show the colors in a certain pattern though, like for example "Red, Green, Red, Green" If there were to be more than 2 colors, it'd just be the same, but with the extra color added at the end of whatever pattern.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Image Only

ALLOW! a Chat Channel, Where you can ONLY POST IMAGES and no TEXT, this would work Great for MEME CHANNELS, FAN ART, Graphics COmpetitions and much more !!!!!!!!!

WOuld love to see this implemeneted

10 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Mention all users who have not explicitly muted a channel

I moderate a large server with many different channels, each for specific interests. I would like a way to mention everyone without mentioning people who have specifically opted out of notifications for a channel. That way, you can mention people who are interested, while leaving those who aren't alone.

45 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. purge rols

I have a community, where users get the "member" role. And when they obtain that role, they are excluded from the purge, even if they have been inactive for a year.
    I need an option to purge a specific role.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Permission to Create Channels

Ability to assign certain users to be able to make only temp channels (and they're removed when that user leaves) and to make permanent new channels.

13 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Calling for Nicknames in Channel Settings

While talking in a message, you can either @ someone's nickname or their username, but when you are trying add a member to channel permissions, you must know their username, as their nickname will not work.

I create a lot of channels for projects, and need to be able to add people to said projects, but currently I need to have a roster sheet with everyone's nickname(Their real name) and their username so that I can add them. It would be a lot easier if I could just search them by nickname instead of having to look for them on…

9 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. See all members of role

Currently, clicking on a role mention does nothing, and you can't see how many members a server or role has without admin permissions. I suggest that clicking a role mention show a list of all members who have that role. Clicking a role on a member's card would do the same.

7 votes
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
  • Don't see your idea?

Discord Dream Land

Feedback and Knowledge Base