How can we improve Discord?

Add a search function (CTRL + F)

When you need to get that one kid detention for saying something......

5,950 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Discord BotDiscord Bot shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
D4KiRD4KiR shared a merged idea: search message  ·   · 
SolidBlocks | SlopranoDarkSolidBlocks | SlopranoDark shared a merged idea: Searching Text In Messages  ·   · 
MrLzMrLz shared a merged idea: Use Ctrl + F to find/search for words  ·   · 
New folder(3)New folder(3) shared a merged idea: Add a search function, improve history handling  ·   · 
Anonymous shared a merged idea: Search  ·   · 
Anonymous shared a merged idea: Search  ·   · 
Alejo_47Alejo_47 shared a merged idea: Adding Crtl + F functionality to text channels and messages  ·   · 
OoglyMooglyOoglyMoogly shared a merged idea: Control F  ·   · 
Hydrated12Hydrated12 shared a merged idea: "Users can can read other user's messages" and CTRL+F  ·   · 
BaronBashorBaronBashor shared a merged idea: Add a search function, it's been too long already.  ·   · 
KakkisKakkis shared a merged idea: search in text channels  ·   · 
quoquo shared a merged idea: find  ·   · 
Anonymous shared a merged idea: A Ctlr-F find feature for the text chat.  ·   · 

176 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ShadowShadow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@roope: it's already on its way, some servers and apparently DMs already have it working. Just gotta be patient.

• rooperoope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, make this the highest fucking priority. Should have been there since the launch.

• CorrodiasCorrodias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh boy! Thanks for getting to this, devs. I was surprised to see it wasn't a feature when I started using Discord, and already I've wished I could search a few times, so this will be a nice change. :)

@stop: So far I have seen it only on partnered servers, not sure but possibly chosen.

• stopstop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my server has it. it's a great feature.
    does anyone know if servers with the feature are "chosen" or just picked at random?

@Xishalet: it looks like only a few selected servers have it available for now, the feature isn't fully released yet but it seems they are live testing it.

Agreed Balamung. Also, this feature is already underway, some selected servers already have it since today (12/23). Just a matter of time and testing until it will be available to everyone. People just need to be patient, it's no the "end of world" :P

• BalamungBalamung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Between angry children who don't have their candy and IT geniuses telling how easy this is to implement, you just sound like ungrateful plebs.
    I too, would have much use of this functionality, but when I see posts like Fragier's, I just have to facepalm so hard. You don't know the infrastructure, and your 13 year old niece doesn't have the same optimisation challenges. Her online chat was used by a few people, not thousands spamming at the same time on servers replicated across the planet.
    Cheers everyone, less rage, more good spirits pls

• FragierFragier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous. "Planned" "Started" "Delayed"? You guys seem to know how to program. I am appalled at how long this has taken. This isn't a programming issue, it doesn't matter how you store in your database or what language you use. This is child stuff. Child stuff as in my 13 year old niece has built an online chat application with search functionality. What you have here is management not putting people on functions that matter. The inability to search reference past communication is not just a basic flaw it is UNACCEPTABLE. People have asked: Basic to who? Well, to anyone looking to use this software in a professional format for their community. It's a basic requirement to be able to check if someone said something when you are told someone is being inappropriate. To any developer of an application. It's a basic feature to implement. To anyone who is arguing with a friend about their conversation last Tuesday in a chat session. It's a very obvious flaw that this basic need is missing. Devs, If you want to have any hope for your application to succeed before a competitor comes and snipes you. Get off your butts and implement the stuff that needs to be implemented.

• TotemistSmutTotemistSmut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When? I'm arguing with someone about something they said weeks ago and need to prove them wrong.

You heard that right, someone is WRONG on the internet! I mean come on, somebody already made a standalone plugin in their spare time that performs this function but can't be installed on my operating system. You're the devs, it's your program. It's a basic functionality of text channels and it being missing here is extremely obvious and annoying.

• NegNeg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How much development can this seriously take? I don't notice a single improvement in Discord since I've been using it, it's long overdue you worked on 1 feature we can see with our eyes and appreciate. Logging would be nice too, then it can seriously replace IRC.

• LedoLedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this should've been a priority from the start. If you're in a large chat, and you ask an important question but you log out for the night, when you log in the next day, the message won't be where you left off, it's way down at the bottom, so it can take quite some time to find the answer you want.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base