How can we improve Discord?

Show a timestamp for each individual message

Show a timestamp for each individual message instead of grouping all recent messages from a person together without showing when each was sent.

2,630 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Reaper Halican shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

75 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Trixter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need this. Discord is the primary communication platform for my moderators and precise time is key for certain issues.

• Killy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let me see it on mouse hover or from message menu.
    I not always need it, but when I do - I really do need it.
    No matter how far it will be hidden, just give me the way to get the precise time.

• Kaijobu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either the coupling of several messages should only happen with roughly 3 minutes, otherwise a new timestamp should be written out, or the hovering needs to give precise timestamps on the minute of arrival or sending of messages.

Either way, this is needed.

• Gogeta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really be helpful. You could see the time the message was sent, down to the second, by hovering over the message like on Messenger. +1

• Talikira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 pls, for me on mobile it groups together MULTIPLE messages in a row that are several hours apart from the first one. 3 hours apart is prompting this comment.

• TeenAngst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just decode the time from the message ID, turn the message ID into binary and then take the first 40 bits and chop them off from the message ID and turn it back into base 10, then add 1420070400, and then convert the number from unix time to get the time it was posted - I don't see why there needs to be an easier way. /s

• Yousif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually I had a message at 4:04 pm and another at 4:59 pm both show up, grouped together, under 4:04 pm.

• Xerus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems to be there now, but it definitely needs a grace period of 1-3 minutes. I really don't care if he sent it 10:37 or 10:38.

• CYG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, there should be an option in setting to show a date stamp next to each message.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base