How can we improve Discord?

allow self hosted servers

It would be useful to have software that we can put on a server, preferable linux/unix, and host our own servers on our own machines. There's nothing really wrong with the current existing servers provided, but I like having the server controlled by my own machine.

951 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

カルタ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

141 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • detaybey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide/sell on-premise installation licenses. My organization is happy to pay for it. Discord is standing strong on voip communication and many small organizations like ours moved from Slack to Discord. We just want to be able to use it without dealing with NDA restrictions.

• Lars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to use Discord in my company, but I am pretty sure, that a german authority like mine would never use something, that does not run on their own servers.

But I also think, that Discord is more useful than Skype for Business and there would be companies, that would pay for Discords services.

• specializt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Many people just host a server and it crash whole time ( got it allready many times on Teamspeak )"

....no. Teamspeak servers do not crash ... like ... EVER.

• chuck_strut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe if discord could release a virtual box or docker image that we could host ourselfs but each server needs to be registered with Discord.

1. Discord could maybe make your server a point of presents.
    2. Host your own File repository and set your own file limitations.
    3. Keep discord source safe but still have API's that you can integrate your custom add on without compromising Discord them selves.

But i do believe that Discord should still have some benfit of you running your own server.
    It would also benfit comminities that live far away from the closest server. Use the same identies that are registered on discord on local servers. So every new registration goes though Discord.

• ks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

discord does not sell your data, on contrary, they do everything to protect it as much as possible. Discord is funded by sponsors, and nitro. Self hosting issue is that Discord protect IPs via, as you might guess, connection to their server. If you'd self host server those IPs would go to you and you could get them. Only reason self hosting is not a thing is privacy of users, not data selling

• Piepmatz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a lot of wishes that Discord servers should be able to be self-hosted. I would love to host one myself and see why people want this.

But the major issue, i think, is the money. The free servers are only working because Discord gets data and sells them. This is how all the free accounts and servers work. But maybe there is a way.

Adding licenses. Other VOIP services let users host their servers themselves and get money by licenses. This way a server can be self-hosted and discord still gets the money for it. This could also work out in a way that a license limits the amount of users. So would a higher limit cost more.

By this, the worth of a server could probably be linear exchanged.

• MAXimized commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Coming from Mumble and TS3 myself, I do really like this idea. Then again, isn't the simplicity part of the special charm about discord servers? While I'm not 100% certain, it seems like the whole point of Discord was to simplify the process that you'd have to go through on other services like TS3. Instead of porting and setting up sophisticated roles and using DNS services, you just click "Create Server" and you're done. No need to buy a DNS or use No-IP or blindly hand out your IP; just give your friend the code!

It's a good idea, but it kinda defeats the purpose of Discord's existence. I like the idea, but I think it'll only appeal to us hardcore VoIP users. Pick a side... :/

• Connorwrightkappa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree, especially since it might allow Discord's devs to save money and use that somewhere else to further improve the platform

• Danitsia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of GOD, please make this feature available and TAKE MY
    MONEY!!!!

My community overall is over 2000+ members but because a) we didn’t have categories (we do now and I love them), b) it was hard to manage that many games (we have several chapters of TLP in various games), and c) voice quality sucks for large numbers — I’m the admin of 16 Discord servers. I had to (was forced basically) to split us all up. So while I technically have the numbers to apply for partnership it doesn’t show because we’ve had to split up into 16 servers.

I would much rather bring all my people back to one super hosted premium server. I would also need “master” categories (so they can have sub categories out of those). I would also need the ability to “shout” across channels and have “admin/moderator” whispers and be able to set up “whisper” groups. With premium voice codecs and super high def quality I’d pay a hefty amount to have all of it on Discord.

That would allow us to cancel TeamSpeak and Mumble for good. The only time we use those old programs is for raiding (PvE and PvP) where we need shouts and whispers.

We pay $400/mo for two high premium servers in TS and MUM. I’d much rather give that money to you guys.

• SumTingWong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most importantly, it also would remove large-company/community servers stressing the discord servers

• Aspire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel that Self Hosted Servers could be a very useful addition:

Perks:
    - Use your own bandwidth allowing you to do deeper customisations
    - More cost effective for Discord

Possible Issues:
    - Denial of Service Attacks:
    - This could be overcome by using the Discord Network as a proxy separating the client from the server, would use more bandwidth but... would prevent any user information from being leaked.
    - Abuse (Packet Modifications):
    - All traffic could be scanned by Discord Servers to allow for all traffic sent is legitimate traffic.

• Jack C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To follow up with the 'If its so great on teamspeak, why not just use teamspeak..."
    Teamspeak's design is outdated, it is not very well supported anymore and it totally lacks an offline messaging system. I do not want my community to be hurried around left and right just to organize simple events that should be a perfectly viable option for Discord.

• Lotus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think discord should let people completely host whole servers on their own... kinda like how Minecraft servers work... if you know what i mean

• Zaladin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see this as being viable and just like Acidmoon said I agree with Neptanium this is something I would be willing to see happen and not have a bad opinion of

• Atychiphobic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it's so great on teamspeak, why not just use teamspeak and avoid the whole "months if not years" of work?

• AcidMoon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Neptainium, i have used TS for years and its a great alternative that provides what you are looking for.

• Neptainium commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely something teamspeak holds over discord and is in some cases enough of a reason to go back to teamspeak however implementing this feature would completely eliminate one of the only things teamspeak holds over discord and would be well worth the effort

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base