How can we improve Discord?

allow self hosted servers

It would be useful to have software that we can put on a server, preferable linux/unix, and host our own servers on our own machines. There's nothing really wrong with the current existing servers provided, but I like having the server controlled by my own machine.

770 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

カルタ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

110 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Omnichroma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean of course this would nullify sending people's info Mark Zuckerberg style but instead of choosing one of the set servers available on Discord that we can host our server on our actual servers if we have one running at home?

• Ash-rayy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this... all my server members are having the problem that the voice stutters or the sound cuts off. Mostly on the EU West server X_X

• carbiniz3r commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, If i can host my Server and just use your client id be much more let loose on using your service over teamspeak. But leaving the reliance of my own uptime and privacy comes first.

• Mr_Linux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great! I'd love to have a fully private hosted discord server.

• Geordan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be a really good idea. When discord is down your brand/community can be up. Of course the idea of Discord hosting servers would still be there. But this could eliminate upload sizes and you could run it on your own CDN. It would be a good idea in general.

• Mao _へ__(‾◡◝ )> commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this in china. our isp providers are pieces of shits so accessing discord is almost impossible. Basically it disconnects all the time. This will be a great temporary bandage fix.

• Face it Tiger.. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah, I'd love to have a fully private hosted discord server.

would eliminate upload sizes & I could potentially enable things like end to end encryption, TLS and SHA-256... you know the works.

• marwik15 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree

I'm probably privacy freak but I'm really pleased when I have full control on software hosted by me for me and my friends.
    Many of my 'secret' conversations are still happening in old-fine TS3 because 'security' and full control on network data.

Having my own discord server outside main cloud will be nice to have more privacy and reliability. It's also eliminates 50MB upload file size limit which one is in many cases is not enough.

• DRΞΛMS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And they could solve their money problem by selling hosted servers if you haven´t a discord server hosted on an vps or on you personal rig

• Ronyn 509 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are some jackwagons going onto a Discord blog, saying that they prefer an inferior product? What's wrong with you? Why are you even here? Bye!

• Nycae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a paid, (or free) server version of Discord could bring even more life to Discord. Most of my friends use other comunication engines and they always say the same: "The time Discord Server is runned in my computer the time I will use discord".
    I know that is difficult and probably you earn money thanks to the information that enters your servers, but for that, a (even payed) version of Discord will be great.

• Vin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Metroite interesting. I've never actually opened a server myself, so I didn't even know that option existed. But that's nice to see that's there. Still would like official dedicated server support. One can dream!

• Zacaust commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if we could host our own servers via our own network, cause if we have a server with something, couldnt we just keep the data to ourselves?

• iCE.ChEshirE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes I just don't have a very nice connection to the server. The ping is about 300+ ms even on the fastest server for my location. So it would be nice to have an end to end direct video connection between the computers in the same server.

• PiggyPiglet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea is users can open discord without an internet connection, create a local server and put bots onto it. This would be extremely useful to me, and other developers, who don't always have an internet connection but want to work on their bots, or test new features.

• TroyFoxxin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I simply would just like to do this for voice handling. Text, permissions, etc can stay on their end. It would just be a nice option to have. I could have my VPS handle voice connections.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base