How can we improve Discord?

Generate an invite link to add a user to a role.

When inviting members, and where I have already established that they will be a fully-fledged member of our group, I would like to be able to generate single-use links to invite them directly into a role, rather than inviting them into our server and then having to set the role manually once they join.

476 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

osrel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • etsKi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To have an option to auto-assign a role option when you create invites to specific pages.

For example, I run a mult-platform (XB1 PC and PS4) community with multiple games. I would like to create an invite link for my pc-overwatch chatroom, but would like everyone that joins via that link to auto-role to my PC role, meaning they only see the PC chatrooms and all the general chatrooms, but not the PS4 or XB1 specific chatrooms.

With the 2017 teaser of the chat and voice room groups, my idea would compliment the groups system perfectly, and allow bigger communities to have more automated control of their servers.

etsKi

• Kjara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! Single-use isn't necessary to my particular use case (the current permanent invite link is posted on a private guild forum), but at the moment incoming guild members and potential guests have to wait for an officer to promote them out of @everyone.

• DSG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

had the exact same idea. it could be a great way to get web based businesses to use discord as a support platform or a community platform.

• ReeverM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think it needs to necessarily be one-use only. It should just be an additional option when creating "advanced invite links". It should be possible to set it to however many max users you want, I think it should be up to the users creating it to use it responsibly.

Additionally, I think it should only allow people to add roles for roles under them. Since there is a permission hierarchy, only Admins or Owners should be allowed to add any role to these invite links and mods should not be able to invite other mods, just other users or other roles lower than themselves.

• Tiny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Presently on a server locked down by roles you cannot invite someone without dropping role restrictions on a channel so they can have roles added. Not a huge issue, our work around is to have an "everyone" channel and invite all new users to there but if we could invite them straight into the membership role it would streamline it a lot more.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like for there to be an option to generate invitation links to your server that are role based, instead of every invitation link automatically assigning each person to "everyone". For example on my server the roles include:

"Guest"
    "Guild Member"
    "Officer"
    "Friend"
    "Co-GM"
    etc etc

It would be great to be able to just generate invitation links that will automatically assign a server role based off of the role you are generating the link from. It would just help make organizing the server easier/faster/simpler, especially for servers that experience a lot of frequent growth.

Spank ya vurry much <3 ! :P

• ReFizzed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be so useful.
    Example:
    • Server has 4 rooms
    • @everyone cannot connect to rooms
    • Make a Role for each room
    • Only people with certain role can join room

I know you can do this manually by setting each users role. But I have a server for streaming and i get viewers joining. The thing is, the server is like a Hub for my friends who stream and we each have individual rooms, which @everyone can't join. What I would like is an instant invite that my viewers click that give them the role of "ReFizzed Viewer" allowing them to join my room while keeping them out from the others.

• T0TProduction commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we want to invite people without having to go online ourselves and give them e.g. normal member role, it would be handy to have the option to link one or multiple roles to an invite, so that everyone who uses it is automatically assigned to that role.
    Being able to create these invites should also be denied/possible for certain roles, so that some can create normal invites and others are able to link them to roles.

• Roswell Crash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is great, one use only obviously. Wouldn't want someone finding the old link and it working still

• Autonomous DJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this too. I was just thinking about this a minute ago of being able to tie a role to a invite that is generated similar to how you can already customize invites in other ways.

• swift2plunder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use this, but my use case includes roles with read permissions, not just management roles, so I'd want the full range of expiry options available.

• Karaoke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also wanted to request this, but not just for single use, I'd like to have it for never expiring instant invites.

• art of revenge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this. But I rather want people to be invited to a quarantine zone instead, so that we don't have to lock down @everyone . Currently the process for setting up a private server is a little overwhelming for new users, and tedious even if you know what you're doing.

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base