How can we improve Discord?

Make it open source

There is so many that have declined to use this app with me just cause it's not open source.

255 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ZraixZraix shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • The Anonymous Linux UserThe Anonymous Linux User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I would love it If they become open source! So that we can do stuff with it more easily, so more eyes would be kept on the code (such as lets say Ubuntu Linux, it gets loads of updates compared to closed source OS's like Windows.),so it would be more customizable and so on! Such a shame... that's just the reason why I'm not on discord a lot. So basically, if they became open source, it would be better in many ways. I'm more on open source software and OS's, and less on closed source. I would be more on discord if it became open source. And yes, more developers would want to contribute to discord. So overall, discord would be a better place if it was open source.

• PoetastrophePoetastrophe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be lovely if Discord became open source and came under a permissive license that ensures the users' freedoms to protect themselves against malicious practice. People are becoming increasingly aware of the consequences of closed source and it will affect apps like these.

• MidgyMidgy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too believe that Discord can be great if it became Open Source, there will be a large influx of new developers that will attempt to contribute, cheapening operating costs and allowing talent to reveal itself, that is guaranteed to happen as most people who use Discord are geeks to begin with, It would most certainly be a unique selling point as both TeamSpeak and Skype are propietry, with Skype being a spying galore.

• Black TortoiseBlack Tortoise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So sad this isnt open source. Unfortunately I have to use it to communicate with some online groups i am a part of. Very sad that in 2017 a product like this isnt FOSS by default. Discord not being open source is a step backwards towards the dark ages.

• nitramnitram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

discord is lovely, only thing stopping me and many others from using it: not open source

what a pitty :/ really do not see any disadventages of making it open source..
    some one commented that it would make other people easier to monetize the work others put into. it is indeed a risk, a very small risk. Why would someone pay for a discord clone and not just use the official discord application. I feel like the conversations app is a good example of an open soruce chat application. sure there are many open source clones, yet the main app is still the one mostly used.

i also think that making discord open soruce would add a strong unique selling point. and people that use it will more likely want to donate to the project. It is easy to attach a gratipay or liberpay link to discord and encourage people to donate.

• duxckduxck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this as well, though I understand if they don't. atm they aren't monetizing in any way and just making it all open source would make it easy for others to start monetizing on their work.

• TheTruthBellTheTruthBell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone _should_ care, gameslayer9999. Even someone like you.

If it's proprietary, it's not superior to anything.

• gameslayer9999gameslayer9999 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who cares if it is closed sourced be grateful they even ported it to Linux as it is a far superior voice chat app for chatting and gaming over Teamspeak or Skype and I think it's a fantastic app..

• a lethal nooba lethal noob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have a lot of smart people that could be contributing code to you for free and making some of these requests happen quicker. We can help you.

• randomlurkerrandomlurker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was going to install the app. Nice, a deb pkg but... where is the source?
    That's a dealbreaker for me.
    I really though this was open source, bummer

• eaudelà_éterneleaudelà_éternel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 I think I'm gonna stop discord because of it. Open source is the way-to-go nowadays. Wake up devs and tell your boss ! Please, Thanks

• druga2druga2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    "Proprietary software is often proprietary malware" - RMS
    A company can say they don't collect/sell data but keep its application closed source *ehem* Discord *ehem*.
    Some people are from the spectrum of /g/ and IRS, so it would calm us all down about the privacy aspect.
    Also, free as in freedom software mostly is better with the support from the community, rather than the company, more updates, more builds (older systems/BSD/others), more privacy, etc.
    Can't see any reason not to, other than to take a monopoly.

• 紫陽花子紫陽花子 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least open up some/all of the source for the Android app. Given the relative ease with which they can be decompiled, APKs don't offer that much security by obscurity. Opening things up would fuel the 3P ecosystem and let some folks contribute back better bug reports.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base