How can we improve Discord?

Make it open source

There is so many that have declined to use this app with me just cause it's not open source.

201 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ZraixZraix shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • eaudelà_éterneleaudelà_éternel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 I think I'm gonna stop discord because of it. Open source is the way-to-go nowadays. Wake up devs and tell your boss ! Please, Thanks

• druga2druga2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    "Proprietary software is often proprietary malware" - RMS
    A company can say they don't collect/sell data but keep its application closed source *ehem* Discord *ehem*.
    Some people are from the spectrum of /g/ and IRS, so it would calm us all down about the privacy aspect.
    Also, free as in freedom software mostly is better with the support from the community, rather than the company, more updates, more builds (older systems/BSD/others), more privacy, etc.
    Can't see any reason not to, other than to take a monopoly.

• 紫陽花子紫陽花子 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least open up some/all of the source for the Android app. Given the relative ease with which they can be decompiled, APKs don't offer that much security by obscurity. Opening things up would fuel the 3P ecosystem and let some folks contribute back better bug reports.

• AFlawedMindAFlawedMind commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just FYI, to all the smj's out there: what other product would you consider using that has capabilities similar to Discord but is open-source? There aren't any well-supported ones.

• AFlawedMindAFlawedMind commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While good for third party developers, this is a profoundly stupid idea for the Discord team. IRC is a protocol based on a set of standards - it itself is not a product. I challenge ya'll to find a way to make a communication app (note: not a social media app) that generates profit while being open-source. Hint: there aren't any.

• smjsmj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only thing stopping us from even considering the product

• AtticusZambranaAtticusZambrana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The owners don't make any money from the core part of Discord, so I think that it would allow developers to experiment with the code and how it works. Highly aggree

• rasprasp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's just stupid to launch nowadays a communication software/protocol without showing the sources. Donc make the same mistakes as Skype.

• slangslang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 I can't touch this software if I can't audit it. It's basically useless if it's not free software.

• VVDVVD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1
    Web version is very slow and there are no native build for FreeBSD.

• DittoDitto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree, maybe then I would be able to make a linux build without having to use wine, yuk.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base