How can we improve Discord?

We blind PC users cannot use the windows app with the screen readers, it needs to be blind friendly accessible via screenreaders like FS JFW

4,253 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hareth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

420 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cade_the_Renegade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm 10000% on board with TTS becoming a feature. Its just depressing that visually impared people need to literally ask in a forum to be able to use the platform with the same ease as someone who isn't.

• Firebreak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Text to speech doesn't help if nobody knows to use it, and doesn't work in private messages.

• dewelar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TTS doesn't help with joining a server, or navigating channels on that server, because there's nothing to indicate where you are on the screen.

• Faust commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does not affect me personally, but I see no reason not to support this feature.

• Craeque commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People being left behind as people move to better platforms is really sad. I hope this will become a top priority for the Discord team, so people that may already be more cut off to the "real" world due to inaccessibility, will be able to communicate with the communities they love.

• Hean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have multiple blind friends who I can't interact with over Discord, how can this still not be of higher priority? Get in the game Discord.

• Mishkiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am currently suffering from late stage corneal degredation. Within the next five years, I will most likely be blind. I *love* discord. It's how I am able to talk to my friends, and I'm not a man who has many friends. Please. Please make this work.

• Otterakrobat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a small finnish game studio can turn their Bullet Hell Side Scroller accessible to people with only 1 hand, then you can add a screenreader to Discord. The blind people will have to have options to access ping options, but anything is better than no access.

• endaphia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been three years, Discord. Yes, we are still here. We aren't going away. Please make this app accessible so we all can enjoy it. I get that it requires work, but think of the bragging rights you will get later!
    "Discord is a fully accessible platform. We believe in inclusiveness and strive to make our platform better for everyone, no matter their level of ability."

sounds good, yeah? It will look good, too. To investors, new people joining..

you know you need to do it. You say you're going to do it. Just do it.

• neyo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add option to get beep notification (sounds) even when window with chat is active... We blind pc users or even android users cant possibly know, that we got any response, because theres no beep notification when window is active.
    Also simple option to use different voice synthesizer would also help, because Discords voice synthesizer cant read any other language besides English. (i have checked Czech and Slovak language).

• dewelar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run an online game for the blind and visually impaired, and we currently use an old program called TC Web Conference that was designed by the late George Buys. Unfortunately, we will be needing to leave the community because the Mac version of the program seems to have disappeared, and the ancient Windows laptop that one of our members in Scotland has babied for some years for the express purpose of running that program is about to give up the ghost. We have looked into a number of options, but sadly they are either too expensive (e.g., Zoom) or do not have features we need (e.g. Skype). Discord would be the perfect solution (well, almost, as another of our members would also have to upgrade her OS)...except it isn't, because she and one of our other members have no sight, and screen readers choke on it. Please consider fixing this, if not because it's the right thing to do, then at least because it would increase your prospective user base.

• Mizal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Went ahead and transcribed that hot keys page for anyone stumbling across this place with the same searches for accessibility info I did:

Toggle Hotkeys: Ctrl + /

Return to Previous Text Channel: Ctrl + B

Server & Channel Navigation:

Navigate between servers Ctrl + Alt + Up Arrow or Down Arrow
    Navigate between channels Alt + Up or Alt + Down

Speedy Message Reading:

Navigate Between Unread Channels: Alt + Shift + Up or Down

Navigate Between Unread Channels with Mentions: Ctrl + Shift + Alt + Up or Down

Mark Channel as Read: Escape key

Mark Server Read: Shift + Escape

Return to Active Audio Channel: Ctrl + Alt + A

Menu Surfing:

Toggle Pins Popout: Ctrl + P

Toggle Mentions Popout: Ctrl + @

Toggle Channel Member List: Ctrl + U

Toggle Emojo picker (doubt you'll get much use out of this one May...) Ctrl + E

In Channel Text Cruising

Scroll Chat UP or DOWN:

Page Up or Page Down

Jump to Oldest Unread message:

Shift + Page Up

• Mizal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been on an IRC writing channel and every so often talk comes up of moving it over to Discord. Unfortunately Discord is not accessible to all our members...primarily because putting text labels on buttons is considered impossible somehow?

Even this page: https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/225977308--Windows-Discord-Hotkeys which has the keyboard short cuts has them as images only. WTF? The people most likely to want to use them, can't. There's no technical reason on that one, just a lack of thought.

Communication via text is the one area it makes absolutely no sense to block access for the visually impaired or completely blind. Screen readers have been around for a long long time folks. Blind users have been mixed in with most of the communities I've been a part of since the 90s. This isn't some kind of technological hurdle.

• Zandrae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Accessibility in general needs work. Those with things like dyslexia and light sensitivity may benefit from the ability to choose their own background color.

• Adruidpriestess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - PLEASE add this - and work on accessibility in general - People like me with visual issues and dyslexia need to be able to choose a size for our font and make it brighter and bolder so we can read it clearly and even edit the things we type better. Moreover, hiring a good ADA web consultant will allow you to have informed development of application features - don't try to go it alone.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base