How can we improve Discord?

We blind PC users cannot use the windows app with the screen readers, it needs to be blind friendly accessible via screenreaders like FS JFW

3,274 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

HarethHareth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

340 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • RenoReno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Knights, yes, some visually impaired people *do* game. I am one of them. Without my glasses I can barely see six inches in front of me, and even with them I have the depth perception of a potato. Yes, yes we do.

• Amy MistAmy Mist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a big section of people who want to use Discord but currently can't- it would take a fairly small adjustment to make it more accessible to these people. There's really no good reason NOT to do this.

• ThaiKunoichiThaiKunoichi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As it has been stated many times before, people who are visually impaired can...wait for it...
    ENJOY THE SAME THINGS AS ABLE-BODIED FOLKS CAN! So long as they have the proper accommodations for it. This isn't some "SJW-bullcrap"; it's a matter of not alienating a portion of the population who already use the internet to connect with their friends. Discord isn't some small, start-up anymore. In 2 years, you have become a widely used & recognized brand. You're not lacking funds to add a bit more code to help out the visually-impaired.

Please, implement better accessibility functions. It will be so much more worth it in the long run.

• Grandpa PissGrandpa Piss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

like i can't have expected you guys to think of adding accessibility options right off the bat, but when something is this popular you kinda have a responsibility to accommodate to a larger audience of people.

come on guys.

• KnightsKnights commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It may have started out for a particular audience but the product can be used for so much more. Why limit yourselves? Although I have to ask, do people who are visually impaired not also play video games? Because they can not read small writing on a screen does that limit them to not gaming at all? Sure while gaming you want to talk, but there's a text service there for a reason.

• lastresortlastresort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People with disabilities exist and it's irresponsible that you haven't made this an option this far along into your very popular program.

• DojobossDojoboss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty understandable that a voice service initially built for gamer types wouldn't have thought to make it visually impaired friendly, but I suppose when you get big enough you start having to accommodate for your broader audience. It's certainly not a bad idea, but I think a lot of the people in the comments here sort of forgot what Discord initially was and why the developers wouldn't exactly be in a rush to do a thing for people their service wasn't even sort of targeted toward.

• CreepingCorbiesCreepingCorbies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just... Wow. This is 2017 and we still have to ask for this? Get it together, Discord, your overall response to this basic request has made you look really bad. When you say 'quality of life' all I hear is 'people who need an extra feature just to participate are a waste of our time.' So, good job on alienating a whole lotta people in one fell swoop.

• ✿◕ω◕✿✿◕ω◕✿ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is hardly rocket science, and i'd know, just add some damn colour blind, blind, and and deaf helpers!

• GenuineCorruptionGenuineCorruption commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't rocket science, guys! Add aria labels to your controls, make sure everything can receive tab focus and make sure elements respond to keyboard input (like enter and arrow keys) and that's 90 percent of the work done. I too am a blind gamer, I'm involved in speedrunning communities who use this product and I'm excluded from participating. The most insulting part about this is the fact that fixing this problem is a day job, not a huge undertaking that would require significant restructuring. The fact that this app is html-based makes the lack of accessibility even more laughable. Please don't leave us in the dust. If you guys wanted to, you could have this done before lunch tomorrow.

• SunflowerSunflower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to deal constantly with dumb things that aren't inaccessible as a HoH person, or considered a "luxury" at best. Same with my roommate, who is Deaf. Discord is a popular program most of my friends will use that allows us both to communicate with them more easily. Blind folks should get the same courtesies.

• emem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, why hasn't this happened already? It's unfair, ableist, and tells us that you don't actually care about your userbase.

• L.J.L.J. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Communication tools are an important way for persons with disabilities to connect with people. Do the right thing!

• spunk collectorspunk collector commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm kind of hurt by the fact that this idea has been here since 2015 and yet the changes needed to help make discord more acessable to the disabled have not been made. :/

• Knee w/o a KKnee w/o a K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean, there isn't a reason not to add the ability to gain more users, therefore expanding your reach.

• tinyhands mccreetinyhands mccree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make Discord accessible for everyone. Not having the same opportunities as friends to connect is isolating and unfair. Please improve accessibility, there are folks who WANT to use this service!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base