How can we improve Discord?

We blind PC users cannot use the windows app with the screen readers, it needs to be blind friendly accessible via screenreaders like FS JFW

3,729 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Hareth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

381 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nikitatr167 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I blind and use the NVDA screen Access program I support the idea, and I want the discord developers to listen to us and make the app available.

• .toast commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look, being blind is terrible and no one wants to deliberately exclude blind people but the comments on this thread are just ridiculous. I know from experience, accessibility is difficult, extremely limiting, and sometimes requires rewriting your entire front end if you didn't go in thinking about it. Most devs don't really know anything about screen readers or other accessibility programs. Accessibility is costly, time-consuming and has a very low return on investment.

It's not fair, it's just reality.

• hey hey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Accessibility is a stupid idea. So what, you're blind, you think Discord's going to go out of their way to support you? It's called a disability for a reason. You're disabled. The meaning of "disabled" is that it's difficult for you to do certain things. People shouldn't magically start changing the way things are just so you can do those things easier.

• ln commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to say that I cannot believe that it's been 2 years since this was first posted and Discord still isn't accessible via screenreaders, but it's really not that surprising. Thanks @ discord devs for being ableist and not caring about blind/visually impaired people.

• bratprivilege commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord most definitely needs to be thinking about accessibility. When the app first came out, I was disappointed to find that I could not use it at all, but around the year went by and I hope that maybe something had changed. Then I go and re-download it and everything still exactly the same and just as unusable. This is a real problem that really needs to be committed to and remedied. Many of my friends are abandoning other, more accessible platforms for Discord and I can’t join them, sometimes losing all contact with some online friends all together as a result. The ADA has existed for over 25 years and there are plenty of resources on how to implement accessibility features, so there is no reason that Discord should be unable to update the app, unless developers are deliberately disregarding accessibility concerns because of a lack of interest. Discrimination doesn’t have to be aggressive to be discrimination. Please consider your blind audience.

• HarmonicaPlayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

greetings i use NVDA as primary screen-reader, and with the desktop app some of the things NVDA says clickable and you have no clue of what they are supposed to do and there is a couple of unlabelled buttons that you come accross when arrowing down and NVDA says, "button" so you have no clue what happens when activating them. I found out that 1 of them makes a sound when pressed but thats all. Making the buttons labelled and changing the stuff that NVDA says clickable to labelled stuff would greatly improve accessibility. Finally, if you access the discord systray icon the options there are not accessible at all:( Please try to look into addressing that to:) thanks for reading:) And another observation about the IOS app is that i use voiceover screen-reader and on the ios app some of the parts you swipe over voiceover goes tick tick and when you double tap on those silent spots you have no clue what will happen. Please investigate labelling those things if able:)

• Lex Talionis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love for my mom to be able to join us in our gamer family's Discord and keep up with all of us strewn across several states. She is visually impaired and for the moment, left out. I hope you make this a priority.

• Ebonwing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's disgraceful that discord is still not accessible. It should be a high priority to the devs.

• GhostlyTrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a really good idea :o
    i know a few individuals who would greatly benefit from this, it would be a huge help to them and others who need apps with better accessibility and discord hopping onto this would be excellent

• Marni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems pretty horrid to keep this 'hostage' - it's not a huge deal to input and it would up your accessibility!! Communication is hard enough and discord is great, this should be high up on your list!

• Attica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Accessibility is so important! Discord helps bring so many people together, we can't just let certain groups get left out. Especially when it's so easily fixable.

• ArcKot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I dont even think people want to have the feature implemented immediately; just that discord is actively working to fix the issue of accessibility.

• zvardin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Accessibility is extremely important. This application should be helping bring people together.

• jazilee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

adding the code for Discord to work with screen readers would be an improvement in the long run - ANYONE can loose their vision through no fault of their own - a person who has lost the ability to see should NOT loose their ability to communicate with people. PLEASE HELP PEOPLE and become a better company in the long run

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base