How can we improve Discord?

Highlight Words, for Custom Notifications / Mentions

Allow users to provide a comma separated list of words that will trigger a notification, so you will be notified if someone is talking about you without using the @mention syntax, or if you have a nickname that people often refer to you as besides your username.

In Slack, these are called Highlight Words, and your username minus the @ is automatically one.

975 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

remi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

105 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AcidicChip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously in nearly 3 years of this suggestion it still hasn't been implemented? Come on...

• Bendijo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2.5 years and this still hasn't been added? This seems like a pretty standard feature to have.

• Dojomojomofo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please at least have this per running client instance? It doesn't have to be synced to our account... but it's available in pretty much anything else that scrolls a lot of text from an external source. It's mystifying how it still is not here.

• Rourkie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my name to this list. We're moving from Slack to Discord, and this is the one feature we're lamenting not being here!

• Amantis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mod a large server and I want this to be able to be notified when a user says certian words like "mods", "suicide" etc

• fedu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wtf, this was coded back in the 1988 with IRC - it's a default feature in all other respectful programs

• ChromeWing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, the countless times I've been browsing servers and seeing old conversations that I "missed" because it would be awkward to bring up again hours later...

someone mentions a particular game, hobby, tv show, movie, youtuber, twitch streamer, etc.

100% I support this idea.

• MonacoRose1413 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really needed. My friends and I came up with emergency code words for when something goes wrong and they need all of us present without actually announcing what’s going on. When the codeword was used though, none of us got the notification. Implementing this kind of feature would allow us to always be aware in those situations.

• JoeyTM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but I would like to add that it would be preferable if you could choose which highlight word notification you're getting for each server. Also, I think the whole "Your username is automatically a highlight word" shouldn't be implemented.

• Toasty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue I find is that often I have a question but I have no clue who on my server might have the answer, that's why I propose an "@anyone" mention for discord. This would be a less important or urgent mention to all users, and I have several ideas for what it could do:

1) It behaves identical to "@everyone", but it just improves sentence syntax. I.E.: "Does @anyone have an idea on how to fix this glitch?". This would let readers know only minimal responses are needed, and it isn't an important issue, just something at least one person will hopefully answer to.

2) It highlights text like "@everyone", but does not send a notification, although it will show up in the mentions menu of a user. Simple as that, it just attracts attention to the readers with highlight and mention history, but not disturbing them outright with a notification.
    2.1) A nice bonus to this might be that it turns the new message bubble next to channel names and servers (the grey half-round) yellow, and then "@everyone" could have a red bubble.
    2.2) Another idea might have it to have a different color highlight as well, to further emphasize on it being less urgent.

An idea I saw before that I do not like is having "@anyone" mention one random person in the server. I do not see any use for this, and if such a function would be added I'd rather see it labelled as "@random".

• stckrboy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely takes my vote. Sometimes when there's thing going on in our channel I would like to be pinged when certain words are mentioned. Recently switched from IRC over to discord (easier to have it in a browser tab than a separate app at work) and I really miss this

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base