How can we improve Discord?

Highlight Words, for Custom Notifications / Mentions

Allow users to provide a comma separated list of words that will trigger a notification, so you will be notified if someone is talking about you without using the @mention syntax, or if you have a nickname that people often refer to you as besides your username.

In Slack, these are called Highlight Words, and your username minus the @ is automatically one.

702 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

remiremi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • merlinmerlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very useful for Pokemon Go groups. Everyone has different Pokemon they are hunting for and might only care about alerts for those

• MetaKnight145MetaKnight145 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also be completely necessary to have the option to get notifications for messages from specific people along with this..

• ShriektheMighty (ze/hir)ShriektheMighty (ze/hir) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was honestly very surprised that discord didn't have this feature. If I had to choose between slack and discord, not being able to pick highlight words in discord would make me choose slack, no question.

• AvalaiAvalai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a fantastic addition. I've really missed this feature in Discord when coming from some other chat platforms.

• ttcoronattcorona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this! It would be great to be able to get a notification when a specific word is said in a channel, e.g an item in a game's marketplace

• RatedMForMemesRatedMForMemes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like an option to enable/disable notifications for certain keywords, for example, if there's a certain subject you want to keep tabs on, you could be notified if its mentioned, or disable notifications, even mentions, so long as a word is in the message

• CutCut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely vital feature (especially for anyone transitioning from IRC... ;)).

• ShadduraShaddura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a bear enthusiast, I am saddened by all the bear-related conversations I miss out. I could really use a way to get notified whenever someone talks about bears, so I can join the discussion.

• BreyerBreyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important feature common among IRC/chat clients that is sorely missed here. Please make it a higher priority.

• professorplywoodprofessorplywood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

V important Functionality - would like to be able to filter notifications more finely. A list of words too would be nice

• ravengeravenge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great on the notifications customisation for each #channel or server to have a "Keywords" notification. Eg how you can get notifications for only @mentions or suppress @here and @everyone you could have a checkbox for "keywords" and a box to enter custom keywords.

• KanegasiKanegasi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! I maintain a few WeakAuras and would like to be notified if anyone is talking about them or asking for a WeakAura that I can do. Instead of just simple words, I would also like the option to notify if a single message contains all of a handful of certain words. For example, I have a Potion of Old War during Crusade WeakAura. I would like a message that contains the words "potion, old, war, & crusade" to notify me.

• LSamaLSama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This, please. I have one server I'm on where I'm known by a nickname that is not my username, so having this would be really nice for when people refer to me by said nickname.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base