How can we improve Discord?

Allow server admins to set chat history length

At the rate I see Discord users filling up the chat with tons and tons of images hosted by the Discord servers, we are going to have a problem considering Discord's pay model.

Admins need the ability to set a timeout on messages in order to reduce the load on the Discord servers. That, or set a global timeout to remove old content. Additionally, I personally don't want my messages from months back showing up later for (anyone) to see.

1,490 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JMNFD1 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

71 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Warlockthis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree that this should be a thing. I dislike having a bot !purge 100 after a while of nonsense

• TeenAngst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having all data saved is what makes them better than others, Discord should not delete message history because it is very useful having access to it.

• Tic-Tac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord set early on to save all data, and they will continue to do so.
    Yes the many millions of images, 120 million messages a day is a lot of data. But not a lot compared to what Apple, Facebook, Google saves.

• Bunny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be a thing for groups, PMs and servers. Its a great idea and very well demonstrated here.

• Xanth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see this. Are there any plans to develop this feature?
    Would PM's be included? This really needs to be a thing.

• lars0403 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have a Ability so the Admins of the Server can set a timer for a message that delets itselfs then because :

You can make announcments that last 2 days or so.

But when you have a logs channel there will be a message that the message by a user was Auto delet from user.

• Aryzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't make this an automatic option though.

I'm using a server as a collaboration log, and it would be very bad if that information was lost.

• Nova commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also enjoy kensu's recommendation, an option to "not display chat history to new people".

• Nova commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord's chat setup makes me uncomfortable.

This is an issue of privacy and the need to filter yourself.

If a new person joins our server, they can look at all of our previous chat history. This makes myself and many others NOT USE CHAT EVER because we don't want our text to be judged by the whole server. This functionality would allow for healthier communication and less drama overall.

• Jillian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, clear private messages too. "Clear All". However, considering how old this request is, I wonder if they're really working on it at all. It's seriously needed.

• Beofux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And imagine The amount of tons of serverspace released after those over 2 mio. peoples conversations is cutted down to last month or s. ;)

• SkyDrifter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must and think the coders are being lazy and don't care if your server get hacked as right now only a freaking bot has this option is a slap in the face and a high security risk.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base