How can we improve Discord?

Allow for creation of temporary sub-channels.

Allow the designation of a single channel as a "category" and have the possibility for users to create temporary channels in that category.

This was the most popular feature we had in Mumble and allowed anyone to quickly form up a game group and jump right in without any hassle.

Definitely beats the generic Game Room #1, #2....etc.

2,480 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RSIBot shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

102 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, it is more than certain that being able to create temporary channels for a specific role will be most appreciated.

I'm voting for this new feature, because I'm not really a fan of having to go through a bot for that kind of thing because if the bot is offline or whatever, the creation of that kind of channel will not be possible.

• kozaka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very useful if I do organize a cup and then everybody should be able to create they own temporary channel till the cup is not over. This way, they do not need to bother to create an own server and jump around. This could be an option, so only a very small part of the users will probably join and create such channel.

However, I think it is better to have like one button where anybody can create with one click a temporary channel which is off is you leave or after he left a time (like after 1 hour).
    This way, I DO NOT HAVE TO CREATE 50 channels or more to be sure, any can find a channel to jump in. So, I need only one button, and if they want to have it, they should be able to create one.

I use (as many other guys) Discord also to inform my viewers and build up a community. So not only to chat :)

So many votes to get this, but after 2.5 years, not implemented....sad!

• hyc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if it would be possible to make it password protected this feature would be nice.

• Zacatero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So if this is on the uservoice feed already i couldnt find it.. basically im suggesting this after talking with a group who still use TeamSpeak exclusively and they said its because Discord offers everything they need and more.... EXCEPT the ability to make temporary locked voice channels without needing an admin there. That TeamSpeak functionality is keeping them away from Discord.

• Noobface commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One thing I loved about Teamspeak is that on some servers you could create your own private channels on other people's servers (with a custom name of your choice).
    Once there were no people left in the channel it would be deleted. These temporary channels would be at the very bottom of the list of channels, below all of the permanent ones, and the older the channel the closer to the top.
    People would sit in Teamspeaks all day just to try and get to the top, or people would see who could get the most people in their temp channel. It was silly but kind of cool.
    I'd love to see this in Discord. Maybe even add a stopwatch to the channels so it shows how long one has been active.

Now let me tell you why this is essential for Discord.
    Almost every Discord, even those owned by huge Youtubers, die off after the first few weeks. I've seen servers with thousands online and only 2 talking in chat. The reason for this is because everyone and their mother has their own Discord server. However, if you implement this idea less people will have to make their own private servers because they can just use one server for their "community" and if they only want to play with close friends they can just make their own temporary channel on that server. This would also require the feature of password protected channels.

Also, another idea that some may not like, but I think people should have to be active on Discord to some extent for at least a few weeks before making a server, and everyone should be limited to 1 server, and maybe 2 for those who use Discord very often. This would also help to reduce the deadness of servers and we also wouldn't have to have 100 servers on our sidebar.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along with the option to only allow certain people in that you want in the voice room.

• SudoPacman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I agree this is needed!

Things like platoon rooms, and other game rooms within a main "clan" Discord, that generally focuses on one game.

• Baumslime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love, when Discord is adding temporary channels, because sometimes it is nice to be only with your friends in a channel on a big server and you don't want that everybody can join this channel. So it is cool, that a person with permissions can create channels, but these channels are limited and not every channel fits your ideas. So it would be nice, if Discord can add channels, which are deleting themselves, when nobody is in there and can create from everyone.

• Farfad3ts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

like on teamspeak, you can make your own vocal channel and when all people quit, the channel is delete

• Ev1dent🔥 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is way needed because it's hard for large communities to keep a lot of players active in the server when it's way to easy for a small group to go make there own server because they don't have their own private channel to begin with. +1000

• Karma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They should temporary channels such as in TeamSpeak so people can make their own channels and once they are done with them, it'll automatically delete!

• LiMaaa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have. Having temporary channels allows users to integrate themselves within your discord as part of the community without having to leave to another discord when they need a private channel for a minute or so.

Not only is it great so users can get to know each other 1 on 1 or as a small group, but it also gives discord owners the ability to set up a rank system with privileges like the ability for users with certain roles to create their own temporary channel.

• PentakillMundo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I myself would really like to do this. I have a lot of users but few staff and many of my users dont really care to be staff, they just want to hangout and have fun. But it would help so many servers if there was a permission to allow applied usergroups the permission to create a temp channel and it exist until no one is in the channel nomore and then it self deletes.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base