How can we improve Discord?

Ability to set roles as hidden

Currently, when normal users examine another user's popout, they see any roles assigned to that user. It would be nice if we could either disable the ability to see roles for specific user groups, or set a role as hidden (so that only users with the Manage Roles permission can see it).

986 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kane shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Vas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been an idea for 2 and a half years. I don't think the discord team plans to do this. If they even know this place exists anymore. Thats why its called "Dream Land", cause discord will say "Hah, in your dreams."

• Blurr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great for when setting up channels that are only visible to certain people. Like I have channels for specific games and have it so only those with that games tag can see that channel. Currently I keep the discord to only 3 games to keep the roles tidy, this would fix that issue so I can add more games.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to tag problematic users without them knowing and getting needlessly offended.

• PhoenixIsLit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! This is exactly what we need on my server. We have an RPG-like class select system on my guild, and the roles go off of the screen, so it would be really nice to be able to hide some and see what they have.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

Plus, this kind of HIDDEN ROLE feature prevents people having a specific role to be a target of possible abusing behavior.

• Marbles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this! Sometimes we create channels for planning surpise things for people, and it would be nice if it weren't obvious that everyone except this one person has this role assigned to them.

• Angle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very useful in RP situation.
    For example.
    We have a per role text channel.
    If someone is a member of the resistance. He can see the resistance text chat.
    But, its supposed to be a SECRET he is a resistance member.
    But every single user on the server can know that!
    Needs to be changed.

• Xander0311 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this :)
    I'm a bit of a neat freak on my servers, so I have a handful of roles and keep them in theme. I love using bots as well, but the roles they add are just 'meh' to the aesthetics. I would like to see something like a 'hide role' option so that these additional roles still work, but doesn't have to be an annoyance. :)

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So you can give someone a role they can't see or roles that are not visible to certain people

• wolfcall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I understand this suggestion correctly it would be very helpful. For example, say you have 3 strike system for rules. With an invisible role you can mark them with X strike. This way mods can see how many strikes they have without advertising it to other users. An alternative is a hidden chat but that gets annoying to use if mods misuse the chat (even with the chat search function it is annoying).

• Master9000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

channel overrides are a nice temporary solution to this, but it would be a nice feature to replace this with

• Hex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

<Discord should allow hidden roles to be created, so a role that only people with that role or higher can see someone has. This would let secret channels that have roles attached to them a lot more...secret.

Also, owners of a server should be able to allow specific roles/persons to add bots, not having it so that only admins and owners can do it. This will give more flexibilities to mod roles, while also not having to go so extreme to give out admin roles like crazy.>

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base