How can we improve Discord?

Ability to set roles as hidden

Currently, when normal users examine another user's popout, they see any roles assigned to that user. It would be nice if we could either disable the ability to see roles for specific user groups, or set a role as hidden (so that only users with the Manage Roles permission can see it).

1,046 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kane shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nystemy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really be a very nice feature.
    Since then one could have a server with channels that are interest based, have them as invite only by the people running the channels, but without cluttering up the list of roles that the average user can see.
    Since those roles would be set as hidden.

So that only people that have a higher role and the ability to manage roles would be able to see those hidden roles. So that they can give and remove the role when needed.

• Liggliluff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be fine with both:
    • global permission to see roles, that you can enable on roles
    • set a role as hidden, which is hidden even with the permission above, so only those with Manage Roles can see it

• Firedragon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want that is give the function in the role menu that the roles be invisible in the Profile. So that you can give somebody a role and this person can see a channel for this role but nobody see this role.

• Foxtrek_64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be done both on the user level and on the server level. That is to say, globally-hidden roles like some cosmetic roles should be hide-able at the server level. However, users should be able to hide their own roles as well.

Also, selecting how a role is hidden could be helpful too:
    Hard Hide: Only selected staff members and server admins see this role with 50% transparency on the user
    Soft Hide: Only selected staff members, the server admins, and the user who owns the role see the role with 50% transparency

For punitive roles, the hard hide option could be used, while for cosmetic roles, the soft hide option could be used (this enables them to know what cosmetic roles they have so they can add/remove them with the correct bot without these showing to everyone else on the server). User-hidden roles would be hidden with soft-hide rules.

• JaqueRabbit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a lot of Roleplay Servers and characters have certain Colors to their names, so it'd be nice to have a Role above their Character Data that's hidden so it doesn't affect the color of the names for Moderation purposes like giving permissions! (Such as Adult/Minor etc)

• Vas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been an idea for 2 and a half years. I don't think the discord team plans to do this. If they even know this place exists anymore. Thats why its called "Dream Land", cause discord will say "Hah, in your dreams."

• Blurr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great for when setting up channels that are only visible to certain people. Like I have channels for specific games and have it so only those with that games tag can see that channel. Currently I keep the discord to only 3 games to keep the roles tidy, this would fix that issue so I can add more games.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to tag problematic users without them knowing and getting needlessly offended.

• PhoenixIsLit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! This is exactly what we need on my server. We have an RPG-like class select system on my guild, and the roles go off of the screen, so it would be really nice to be able to hide some and see what they have.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

Plus, this kind of HIDDEN ROLE feature prevents people having a specific role to be a target of possible abusing behavior.

• Marbles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this! Sometimes we create channels for planning surpise things for people, and it would be nice if it weren't obvious that everyone except this one person has this role assigned to them.

• Angle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very useful in RP situation.
    For example.
    We have a per role text channel.
    If someone is a member of the resistance. He can see the resistance text chat.
    But, its supposed to be a SECRET he is a resistance member.
    But every single user on the server can know that!
    Needs to be changed.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base