How can we improve Discord?

Windows 10 Universal App

Discord should be a Windows Universal App. Then it would work on Tablets, Desktops, Phones, and the Xbox One with only one source. It's the future!

2,646 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

[Brandon-james105][Brandon-james105] shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

168 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • [Brandon-james105][Brandon-james105] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like it's simple to do this with the desktop bridge. Downside is that it would only work on the Windows desktop and the only real benefit that would come out of it would be automatic updating.
    To be honest I would rather it be a Universal Windows Platform program.

• The JediThe Jedi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is a good idea. Discord just stopped working this morning anymore for a unknown reason.

• VincentmrlVincentmrl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows isn't my main platform on desktop but on laptop and in the future mobile it surely is. Even though I have a keyboard, my Surface 3 usage is many times touch focused so a UWP app wouldn't hurt.

• Curtis // mashedkeyboardCurtis // mashedkeyboard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, please do this! It'll take you a day or two, max. LouieK22 suggests that it needs a complete rewrite, but it doesn't! Take a look over here: https://github.com/electron/electron/blob/master/docs/tutorial/windows-store-guide.md

Long story short, Electron supports Windows Universal apps. You can compile into an appx in the same way you make an exe :) If you need help, please let me know - I'd love to help out!

• LouieK22LouieK22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From the technical side, this would actually require a Discord rewrite. Discord is based on Electron and written in Node. Essentially meaning, the entire application would need to be rewritten in C/C++/etc in order to be functional as a universal app.

• sudo007sudo007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The primary reason I want an official app for my phone? Push notifications!

• AlhanalemAlhanalem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given that a Win10 mobile/Universal App Platform app is one of the top requested things right now, and there are MULTIPLE unofficial tools availbale,why in the world is this not being considered?

• Stranger_HanyoStranger_Hanyo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Windows 10 on all my devices and would be super happy if there's a native app for it on the store! With an universal app, Discord will be available on PCs, tablets, Phones and even on Xbox!!

• DarvondDarvond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It might be the future, but it'd be totally useless to someone who doesn't even have a Microsoft account. Discord also already has a dark theme, so the only reason to even consider this also goes out the window.

Restricting it to only UWP would have been an even sillier decision as I've read in the comments, because so many more users are still in the EXE userspace and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Not to mention, I somehow doubt that Microsoft would want any competition on their turf, seeing as how many they're already losing to Discord users.

• ObsidianMinorObsidianMinor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sadly that only works like the Slack desktop UWP app does. It only works on desktops. It still contains a win32 exe so it won't work on Xbox, Phone, or HoloLens.

• AeonGAeonG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im not a programmer, but something about this sounds like it would hurt discords availability on everything else.

• FalconFalcon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given when this app was released, I'm confounded as to why it wasn't developed as a UWP app. Develop once and deploy everywhere is what Microsoft is pushing. I find it hard to believe that Discord is so complicated that making it UWP wasn't on the table. Seriously, who makes desktop apps anymore?

• tubaraotubarao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 Universal App is one more good step for Discord success. Please think about it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base