How can we improve Discord?

Notification

1. PC: Icon for taskbar showing how many unread channels you have (Skype-like)
2. Mobile: Silent notifications. Notifications are cool, but constant SMS-like beeping when they arrive is annoying.

167 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Seraskus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Future commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was about to post this, hadn't I found it just now. PLEASE give us an indicator on the taskbar icon of how many unread channels we have Discord! This is one of the few things I liked with Skype.

• Vozw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be invaluable to me. It's the main reason I still prefer Skype, for all Discord has.

• Dessgeega commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. It's not hard to code it so the PC taskbar icon flashes or says something or what have you. Right now we either get pop-ups or nothing.

• LazerKill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree about the first one! When I come to my computer after being AFK, everything looks normal and I don't know I have new messages, so I see them a lot afterwards!
    I would really like to have some sort of a sign like Skype has, to know that there is new stuff to see (calls, messages, anything. ESPECIALLY if they are private)

• Yuki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it is very hard to see the messages in time without any notification. Some times my friends don't notice my messages until hours later

• ming3r commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding 2, could we have it where we can choose the frequency of notifications? One thing Slack has is an option to only get a notification every x number of minutes which makes it a bit more sane to use in bigger groups.

• Depthside commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

regarding number 2, i dont have any noise when notifications come to my phone (android) its in the settings, disable sound and vibration

• DPotatoman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. The way skype does it the best way to keep up to date with messages. Unfortunately with current system I keep missing important messages from work and friends.

• Myst_R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes and add a badge on the icon when we have silent notification so we know how many notifications we have !

Also, you could add more notification features like, for example, the ability to be notified only when a word we registered before is mentionned

• oooVEGITAooo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I can't tell whether someone messaged me or not when AFK unless I keep opening discord up to check. Skype would put a little number on the taskbar icon if you had messages waiting.

• TProphet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Check how Slack does this - they send a single notification when a channel becomes active after a period of inactivity, and/or where you are specifically mentioned. That's the correct way.

I have had to disable all notifications for Discord. Still trying to figure out how to do this on my PC, it woke me up at 7:30 this morning.

• Raddaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, this. This is the only thing keeping me from switching from Skype to Discord for group chats.

• xplatinum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. We can disable notifications but through the settings menu. I think it'd be great if we could have a small icon beside the mute sound/microphone to silence notifications.

• rsmalec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. I don't want full text popping up in my videos, but the only alternative seems to be not knowing I have new messages.

• ColonelErud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed.
    While the icon in the 'task bar notification area' in the far right does get a 'blue dot' to alert you to new messages, I have those icons hidden and am used to see such alerts in the taskbar proper.
    Even if I make the icon visible, the dot is not big enough and the blue color not particularly noticeable to serve the intended function.

Feedback and Knowledge Base