How can we improve Discord?

Add a permission for editing other people's messages

This would allow administrators to more easily enforce their chat rules.

873 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aryu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

183 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Formy Zee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super idea, as long as it can be turned off. Atm I have to delete other admins posts and replace with my own post to update posts regarding attendance like raids and what not, and then they have to delete mine to update if I'm not around... Pretty damn stupid if you ask me, and if your admins can't be trusted to act the role, maybe you should choose admins more carfully...In my book that's not a problem what so ever??

• Beelzebub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great idea. Because people need to realize that you are supposed to be able to trust your administrators and moderators. So, if you can't trust them with this permission. Then, you shouldn't be giving them any role of power. This allows them to do their job much easier and also if you are so worried about administrators. Then, simply add a bot that only reports the logs to you. Auttaja has informed me of all edits and deletions plus more.

• Dark Legionnaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my situation, a modified idea of this would be awesome. I know the base idea could be abused. Be here is my thoughts. In my situation I work full-time and run a community on discord, most are long and I get pulled away several times while writing these posts. Thus there area things I don't catch, but my admins do. So my idea is, say add a permission that makes admin able to edit a post, but ONLY if the creator of the post marks that post editable by others. Then and only then can the admins with the permission to edit posts can edit the post. And I would also have it logged in the server log, so that in the event you have an abusive admin, you can take corrective action. Now I know there may program limitations, so if this is an impossibility, I understand.

• cj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as it is clear someone else edited the message, and the old message can be reviewed, I'm all for this idea!

• QuantumCrab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is an incredible shitty idea, this could be abused in so many ways.

solution: instead of people able to outright edit someone else's message, they could perhaps censor certain words if something was innapropriate

• Not Sugden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is silly and can and will be abused by people, they will edit other peoples messages to say things they didn't say, possibly even get them banned from a server for something they never said, this is silly

• MrMageeyee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea! This would be extremely beneficial in a discord like mine, since the admins are constantly deleting messages if they contain an inappropriate word or spoilers, etc. It would be great to be able to censor certain words and such.

• Opisek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful if the admins are mature. I would make my bot check a message for "!poll yes/no" or similar somewhere in the text, remove this part of the message and add thumbs up and thumbs down reactions to the message. Would be extremely useful and convinient.

• Celti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Discord for running play-by-post/play-by chat roleplaying games, and as a game master it is very useful to be able to edit my players' messages to correct mistaken or impossible actions. Instead I have to delete and re-create the post in my own name, which rapidly becomes unfeasible if other people have posted in the meantime.

• bb7548 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Haxosaurus, your example will depend on how mature and responsible the administrators of the server are.

• bb7548 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The edit button on Discord messages are pretty useless currently as only the user who created the message can use it, however, I would like to give server moderators and administrators the ability to edit other people's messages.

• da stealth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this could be safely achieved by adding ‘edited by @username’ when someone else other than the owner of the message edits the message. This way other people will be able to distinguish when the message has been edited by the original user or another user.

In addition to this I would suggest that the permission for this particular setting be a separate toggle switch from ‘manage measages’. This way you could assign the permission to admins, top level moderators and bots if required but leave lower level moderators out.

It would be especially useful when used in conjunctions with bots as they would then be able to filter out messages for content and replace said content rather than just deleting the entire message.

• Haxosaurus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Editing other people messages would lead to example below
    lol: Hey guys
    *admin edits his message*
    lol:I'm gay lol

• D0cR3d commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would this be where a certain permission allows you to edit someone else's messages or would it be where that user has to tick an option to allow someone to edit that specific message?

what's the use-case for needing to edit others messages?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support. I would love to be able to edit messages. It would be very useful for me because I am part of quite a few servers with friends, where it gets annoying to have to ask the original poster to edit posts if we want to change something.

• ANTHONY SULLIVAN HERE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So you know how you can give people the perm to delete messages.well you guys should add a perm to edit others comments. just like how the user can edit his/her own message. It might not work. but i was super tired when i thought of this idea. and im still a bit tired when posting this.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base