How can we improve Discord?

Add a permission for editing other people's messages

This would allow administrators to more easily enforce their chat rules.

946 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aryu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

203 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tigrangelic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every forum has allowed an edit button for moderation. It's fcked up that Discord did not implement such a basic option required to efficiently use the tool as a forum/chattool replacement. Its like getting 80% of what you should be getting.

• NoProtection commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a discord server and in the rule section, I want players to write "I have fully understood the rules" and then they would gain full access to the server.
    How can you do this as I've seen players do this.

• Jet-G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a discord for my classes at school so we often post answer keys it would be great if we could edit it instead of have to contact the person who sent the key.

• Dezro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is absolutely needed, but should be implemented so that the edits are transparent to the users.

First, like many suggest, it should mention who edited the message.
    Second, the edited portion should show up in a different color than the rest of the message. The bot or moderator should be able to choose from a selection of colors, all visibly different from the default text color, with different colors reflecting different reasons for the edit.
    Third, you should be able to specify a public reason for the edit.

For example, a bot that censors words automatically could change:
    USER: oh man that sucks a lot
    to
    USER: oh man that [red]*****[/red] a lot (edited by LittleBot: "BAD WORD! YOU SAID A BAD WORD!")

Whereas a bot that supports inline commands might change
    USER: I need you to go at least {distance from the earth to the moon} away from me.
    to
    USER: I need you to go at least [blue]228628 miles[/blue] away from me. (edited by InfoBot)

This should, of course, come with the ability for bots to add or change an embed in another user's message without changing the contents of the message itself, in which case instead of "(edited by NeatBot)" it could say "(embed from NeatBot)".

• Hayden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely disagree. Remember the outrage a couple years back on reddit when someone's post got edited? If someone is breaking the rules in discord, just delete their message or ban them. It's completely unacceptable to allow moderators to edit anyone else's message.

• BM64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am mixed about it, I will used to to maybe censor some messages but I think some people will take this to whole new level and use it to troll people.

• Ailuropoda Melanoleuca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many situations where this would be useful. For example, many servers have a welcome channel that includes a list of rules. Allowing several moderators to edit that list (as opposed to deleting it and reposting it) would be a good feature.

• Formy Zee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super idea, as long as it can be turned off. Atm I have to delete other admins posts and replace with my own post to update posts regarding attendance like raids and what not, and then they have to delete mine to update if I'm not around... Pretty damn stupid if you ask me, and if your admins can't be trusted to act the role, maybe you should choose admins more carfully...In my book that's not a problem what so ever??

• Beelzebub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great idea. Because people need to realize that you are supposed to be able to trust your administrators and moderators. So, if you can't trust them with this permission. Then, you shouldn't be giving them any role of power. This allows them to do their job much easier and also if you are so worried about administrators. Then, simply add a bot that only reports the logs to you. Auttaja has informed me of all edits and deletions plus more.

• Dark Legionnaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my situation, a modified idea of this would be awesome. I know the base idea could be abused. Be here is my thoughts. In my situation I work full-time and run a community on discord, most are long and I get pulled away several times while writing these posts. Thus there area things I don't catch, but my admins do. So my idea is, say add a permission that makes admin able to edit a post, but ONLY if the creator of the post marks that post editable by others. Then and only then can the admins with the permission to edit posts can edit the post. And I would also have it logged in the server log, so that in the event you have an abusive admin, you can take corrective action. Now I know there may program limitations, so if this is an impossibility, I understand.

• cj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As long as it is clear someone else edited the message, and the old message can be reviewed, I'm all for this idea!

• QuantumCrab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is an incredible shitty idea, this could be abused in so many ways.

solution: instead of people able to outright edit someone else's message, they could perhaps censor certain words if something was innapropriate

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base