How can we improve Discord?

Less intrusive notifications.

It would be great if the program could use some notifications like the taskbar new messages, the current desktop notifications, besides getting in the way of the screen, makes me pause my work, while drawing for example, because when it appears it makes me unable to click on the screen until either the notification disappears by itself, or until I click the notification to see the message, please, fix this, it's the only thing keeping me and friends of using this program fully.

Being able to disable the desktop notifications while still keeping the sound notification on would be a good option too.

1,160 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

comfysaur shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

217 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jagick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, it kind of sucks being in the middle of trying to scroll through a web page only for my friend to send me a message and have my ability to keep scrolling removed when the notification in the corner appears. I cannot even click on anything in the browser until the message either goes away or I close it.

• Aki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Notifications freezes a huge section of the screen, showing whatever was there without showing anything about the notification. I can tell there is suppose to be information shown, but all it tells me nothing.

1) I want the toast to work.
    2) I want the toast to be a fraction of the size. It should never take up more space than the actual message in the app took. 200x50 pixels, an icon of the server or user if DM, their name, and the start of what they said among two or three lines of word wrapped text.

Win 7
    Version Feb 15, '18

• Syreeta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i hate this, i thought it was on my end though, like wtf is there no way to make the notification not freeze everything?
    i think google chrome got it right? i don't know, don't get enough chrome notifications to test, but ya, a few settings need to be added, notification pop up time (shorter if it bugs you or longer if you can't read the message) and not freeze the GUI, and maybe like the other user said, have two slider/check boxes, one for sound on or off, and on for popup on or off, tbh i can come up with a few ideas for any issue, so if you guys want, you can forward me issues that you want to repair and i can add other solutions so you only have to go at it once (i can think of almost everything, it's just up to you to implement the code, give me a shout)

• Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Holy fucking shit its been 2 years and this still isn't fixed? Come on...

• tastypieguy27 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is there a way to disable this
    cause this is the bane of my existence.
    just because of this i cant do anything
    i might as well throw away my computer

• (Har) KellyBlank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pop up notifications are fine, but don't disable my clicking ability when it happens. Let me click on my stuff.

• SanuraKaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's an idea have the banner but have it see thro (still able to see the words and stuff just able to see stuff underneath) and have an x so its easily close able. another thought was to have it so you have to double click on it to go to discord a regular click or drag doesn't do anything aka you can still play games in that corner.

• Suzunya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please! This is by far the worst problem Discord still has, and the one main thing I find that even Skype does better. There is absolutely no reason why discord needs to steal focus from whatever I'm doing at the time for every single notification. I don't even care if they still pop up as long as it stops preventing me from clicking on things when it does. This shouldn't even have to be here, it should just be considered an awful bug.

• bertisdirt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mute notification from the server your getting spam from or just appear as “busy” with the little yellow/red dot (can’t remember what means what) and that is basically just like do not disturb so you don’t get notifications until you go back fully “online”

• Narcolepto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[Solution]
    For those in Windows 10, you can right click the date/time in your system tray and select "Customize Notification Icons." Scroll down and click on Discord. Flip "Show Notification Banners" off and "Notifications" to On. This will disable the screen-blocking pop-up and simply make your system tray flash for a second when you have a message. This was bugging me like all heck.

• Myiasia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I, too, am experiencing the "can't click while notifications are showing" issue. It makes it quite frustrating, especially when I'm trying to browse or manipulate files. I cannot click anywhere until the notification fades out, and it's really actually starting to tick me off.

• Ø Null commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please.

Fix the bug making the toasters steal focus, or even better, just let me separate out toasters from other notification settings. Please. Please please please, it would help my workflow so so much.

• dem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please

i would love having my taskbar icon flash but having half my screen unusable for several seconds because someone posted a new message in group chat is too much

• Emma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really frustrating when I'm just trying to watch a video or draw because it distracts me too much. The current set up is so big and bulky so it's twice as distracting and bothersome when I get a lot of messages. It's also just kind of an eye sore. I can't rely on sound for notifications because I easily forget things if I can't see that I have new messages. Having an option for notifications to be shown on the app's icon in the taskbar or for it to flash without a big box popping on my screen would be lovely because then I can do whatever I want without getting too distracted.

• Vorthod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the popup, in theory. But the fact that it reserves space for like four messages on top of each other just caused me to leave my teammates to die because suddenly my entire map and the enemy's unit was underneath an invisible box that I couldn't get rid of in time. So my character just initiated a fight and then proceeded to stand around. Please don't make the popup box take up more space than it actually uses.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base