How can we improve Discord?

Less intrusive notifications.

It would be great if the program could use some notifications like the taskbar new messages, the current desktop notifications, besides getting in the way of the screen, makes me pause my work, while drawing for example, because when it appears it makes me unable to click on the screen until either the notification disappears by itself, or until I click the notification to see the message, please, fix this, it's the only thing keeping me and friends of using this program fully.

Being able to disable the desktop notifications while still keeping the sound notification on would be a good option too.

1,043 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

comfysaurcomfysaur shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

195 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Boomshakalocka02Boomshakalocka02 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those of you who are having problems, there is a very simple way. Go to notifications and at the very top you just have to disable it. By doing this the popup will be gone but you can still hear the sound and blinker :)

• tealteal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"makes me pause my work, while drawing for example, because when it appears it makes me unable to click on the screen until either the notification disappears"

This is a problem that needs to be addressed ASAP.

• elektranachoselektranachos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, this needs to be done. It's unbelievable annoying having to close the notification every time when you're talking to even just 5 people and every second you're doing something or making graphics this gets in the way. This is literally the only problem I have but it's so annoying and troublesome.

• StarficzStarficz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To everyone who wants only sound, go to Settings->Streamer Mode->Enable sounds + Disable Notifications

Ta-da! Its not optimal, but it works.

• KnIghTKnIghT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May 1...
    They updated a few times after this... why didnt they see this yet, having 600+ votes too...
    I want that gone, its annoying, i am forced to disable notifs altogether, which i hate because i have people dm-ing me and asking me questions in the servers, i dont want to miss that.

• TechCatTechCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been brought up among my moderators for ease of use. The visual popup is too stimulating. The option to toggle down to just a sound, and vice versa: the option to have no sound and only pop-ups (for those who need the audio interruption minimal) would be very helpful.

• SypaniteSypanite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I LOATHE the OS notifications.

All we need is a few checkboxes, something akin to:

"When I receive a message...
    [ ] Push desktop notification
    [ ] Flash taskbar icon
    [ ] Play sound"

• OddwargOddwarg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a long standing issue that puts users off wanting to use the program. Please, just take a few minutes of development time to add this option. It is not hard.

• dragontrapdragontrap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this a thing! Not a fan of the 'all or nothing' notification feature, the popup interrupts my work flow and is not helpful in the least (just a noise and a blinking icon is all I need, thanks!)

• Digiti PumpkinusDigiti Pumpkinus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like we just need to switch to some other app. Discord obviously doesn't want us to help with this issue. It's been almost 2 years since this idea came up

• ßrutßrut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is getting really annoying, you do not need a pop every second for every channel I am on for every message...

• ! video! video commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! I would like it if you could make the discord notifications the size of the actual notifications (and resizing them when possible) instead of just taking up the right half of my Windows screen. I do a lot of stuff that requires the right portion of the screen (obviously). I have to put on DND a lot of times just to get things done. I would really like it if something was done about this.

• monkeyskymonkeysky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think this is really a good solution (I'm still waiting for the option to disable the popups, or even better, then just fixing the bug that freezes the screen), but it is possible to have sound notifications without visuals through Streamer Mode options.

• Lebon14Lebon14 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All of my Yes. Additionally, there could be an option where you can receive x notifications from a server per minute or hour or days... So that you don't receive every damn lines said in a chat as a notification. It's annoying and, because of that, I have to mute *every single channels* minus the one that are quiet because it's too damn much.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base