How can we improve Discord?

Have the option to have @role mentions function like @here

Currently @role mentions function like @everyone. Sometimes we don't need to notify everyone in that role, but only the people available.

I run a Discord for an online game, we have a dedicated questions channel. I'd love to be able to give some knowledgeable and willing users a "help/advisor" role that users in need could mention. If this functions like everyone user mentions would become too bothersome.

174 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JoKOR shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • WrathOfMonkey13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@here mentions people that are offline as well and mentions everyone in the server, I'm saying for a specific role and only those online

• WrathOfMonkey13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a server that I want to mention people in but we don't use @everyone and we created a special tag for certain users that we have in our guild. I like to play at 8am Central time but I have users with that special role in western that it would be 6am for them. I'd like to be able to mention a certain role but only for the users that are online

•  commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to use the <@292958842021478411>le and @here command mixed, so if you do it, only online persons of the mentioned role get pinged.

We should be able to use the <@292958842021478411>le and @here command mixed, so if you do it, only online persons of the mentioned role get pinged.

• Yemper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's on a bot, so you'd have to ask whatever bot you're on to consider this.

• Shadow™ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, users in a specific role can be mentioned by mentioning the role. Sometimes, I only want to mention users that are online in a certain role. Could there be something like ?rolename:here that only mentions users that are online?

• Wuffles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply put, Being able to @Here a specific role, rather than just @here'ing everyone online, like, say you've got some roles like, @Causals, @Mods, @Admins, one of the admins wants something to do with mods who're online at the time, so like, be able to do @here-Mods or something, so you they only ping the users who are online at the time, within that role-group

• mountlover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is part of a bigger issue: **@role intersections**.
    Very often we'll want to mention not everyone in a role, but everyone in a combination of roles.

something like `@EastCoast+PS4`

that will mention all users that are in both the "EastCoast" and "PS4" roles. Similarly:

`@EastCoast+PS4+here`

to further limit that to members of both roles who are currently online. This would really help limit unnecessary pings, which is a must in discords with 4k+ users.

• Smooth_Knight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also prevent people from leaving servers because they are tired of pings that do not apply to them at the time. Login to multiple flags, and they are pointless.

• BlueDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Syntax may change but it'd be useful to be able to tag @here:role, meaning members of role currently connected would get tagged.
    (this is a precision/example of this idea: https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/16708135-add-a-new-tag-that-combines-role-and-here-in-a-w)

Also, currently either everyone or no one can tag @role, we'd need some way to set which roles can tag which other roles (and if we apply the previous request, which here:roles)
    A very simple and intuitive approach would be a table such as https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy3fXQVXAAA0xSu.jpg
    In my example there are two columns per role (everyone and currently connected aka here) but we could add a third column @member:role, meaning members of roleA could tag @nickExample (member of roleB) if @member:roleB was set to "yes" for roleA.

• Arbitrated commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really helps out on a server with a lot of, say, moderators, and you need one to help out with something but you don't want to wake them all up.

• Jac733 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently @role tags users with that role whether they are online or offline. Sometimes you just need whoever is available at the time, so combining it with @here would help to avoid tagging those who are offline, when the reason for the tag has already been dealt with.

• Shockah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest changing @role behavior if there's a @here present in the same message.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base