How can we improve Discord?

Make the "Block" function actually block people

As it currently stands, the "Block" function merely stops you from seeing the blocked users messages (and has a thing to let you click to see their messages for some reason?). This is not actually a block function at all and if anything should be renamed to "Hide messages".

The block function should stop the blocked user from seeing my messages too, auto-mute them in voice chat and also should not have a "click to see message" since, if I'm blocking someone, why would I want to see the messages? Perhaps put a little icon next to the user's name to indicate they're blocked too.

830 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

beebee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

150 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • The Eternal HuntersThe Eternal Hunters commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree kind of like adding a sub setting to being blocked so once you click on block it gives you the option to hide all messages or not. I agree with both functions because even if you don't like someone and want to block them they could still say something important or something you are interested in.

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As it currently stands, the "Block" function merely stops you from seeing the blocked users messages (and has a thing to let you click to see their messages for some reason?). This is not actually a block function at all and if anything should be renamed to "Hide messages".

Both option could coexist at the same time but blocking is more important, please fix that.

• xhappykittenzxxhappykittenzx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have this one bot that I find annoying blocked, so I don't have to deal with it, but yet I still get notifications from it. Let's say I'm talking to my friends on one server, then see that I have a notification on another one. I check, and it says "1 Blocked Message." and I get angry. Same goes with @mentions. If I don't want to get a red "1" from your join message or for some reason an @Everyone, I should be able to do this. You block people/bits so you don't have to look at their messages.

• Lord HemlockLord Hemlock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would very much like to see this one as well. Defeats the purpose of blocking someone if you can still see that they're talking. As someone with anxiety issues, this straight up makes it worse, because now you assume they're always talking crap about you.

• dannydanny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When someone is blocked and you share a server with them, there will be a message that says "1 blocked message" or tell you that there are blocked messages from that person. It's annoying and I think that there should be a setting that just doesn't show blocked messages whatsoever from that person on any servers you share with them.

• sidekickjazsidekickjaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That it's called BLOCK is a joke, I mean it's simply MUTE ... we absolutely need a block function which is a block function!!!

• FluffyFluffy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to have blocked people completely blocked, i support this

• TROLLTROLL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Read the responses the "Devs" made on reddit. It really is pathetic, we're not retarded, maybe you could actually explain to us why you can't?

When we want to block someone, we don't want to be reminded of them, we also definately wouldn't want to be given to option to view said person's message, just makes us want to read it more than we would if we didn't block him.

Also, pardon me for my language but... what in the fuck makes you think I want to see a huge box the size of a message spread around the entire screen wasting space... it's not pleasant to look at at all.

• PurePowerPurePower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I'm a little tired of seeing there's a new message in one of the server's I'm in only to find out it's from someone I've blocked :/

• MoosieMoosie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And let's not forget, Discord should also add a feature where you can type in a person's user and tag in to block them like how you would when adding someone to your friend list. Quit being useless lazy asses and implement these, you worthless so called "staff".

• GeeseGeese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the fact that this has been here for a whole year without any changes is absurd, it doesnt give me great hope for the future.

• Sleepy Sleepy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

iirc someone requested this 1 year ago.

it makes perfect sense to not see someones message especially if you blocked him/her.

Honestly idk why this isnt a thing yet im really disappointed with the discord devs.

• KamikazeKittenKamikazeKitten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implement blocking. ACTUAL blocking. The current "block" is not a block, it's a mute, and not even that, really. You still see that they're posting messages, and they can still see what you post. This is massively problematic. The ability to block someone is extremely important. Blocking should make it so you cannot see them at all and vice versa.

• ToastieToastie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When having blocked a user, an option should be that the "a blocked user has posted a message" message can be disabled so you see nothing as if they were never there!

• ShRulesShRules commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it so there is a button that asks whether you want to see the messages or not (when you go to blocked users) and make this toggleable

• yellowcat5yellowcat5 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have it so that when you block someone you can't see that they are typing or what they type at all?

• ______ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ahhh, my last comment was removed. Too spicy were those peppers? Hey you removed it! DING 1 UNREAD MESSAGE. Are you beginning to get the point? No, probably not because helpful stuff scrubbed away the message before a developer that knows what he's about could read it.

Here it is: Ignore. Really ignore. Really. I want to ignore someone, they should be completely ignored. Don't be arrogant. Don't tell me how I'd like it. Just give me a simple chat protocol basic feature.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base