How can we improve Discord?

Make the "Block" function actually block people

As it currently stands, the "Block" function merely stops you from seeing the blocked users messages (and has a thing to let you click to see their messages for some reason?). This is not actually a block function at all and if anything should be renamed to "Hide messages".

The block function should stop the blocked user from seeing my messages too, auto-mute them in voice chat and also should not have a "click to see message" since, if I'm blocking someone, why would I want to see the messages? Perhaps put a little icon next to the user's name to indicate they're blocked too.

1,291 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

bee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Famous5000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Already implemented. Somehow your client is screwing up, try refreshing your discord if they can still @ you. That's an issue that you can report to the bug finders, if it keeps going.

• PeachyShrimp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

blocking someone unpleasant in a server doesn't actually do anything, they can still interact with you directly and @ you constantly. It leaves you with two options:
    1) either leave a server you actually like
    2) put up with a toxic person
    Blocking someone should keep them out of your sight. Period. Is there anything that can be done about this?

• NAAMARI. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is what I came to look for here. This needs to happen. If you don't want to get rid of current functionality you can add a new one called "ignore" which completely removes the user from your world. I don't need to see a thousand "blocked messages" on my screen.

• Gem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen. It's ridiculous to have someone blocked yet you still see their blurbs. At least make it an option to completely ice out the person...Thank you for your consideration.

• Serenity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. I'm in a discord full of some moderately annoying people but also people that I would enjoy actually having contact with in that group in the group setting. Still getting notifications and seeing "BLOCKED MESSAGE" is annoying. Incredibly more intrusive than just ignoring the people but some of the people are along the lines of "Drink bleach! Go kill yourself" etc types and I'd really, really rather not see them or remember that they exist.

• CPTpurrfect commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about like making a "softblock" and a "hardblock" so you can decide whether a person will show the "X blocked messages" or nothing at all?

• Vazl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bump! Seeing a huge BLOCKED MESSAGE bar every time a "blocked" person sends a message really grinds my gears and makes the current blocking feature totally useless.

• LuuMor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Block really needs to be a real block and not this huge SHOW MESSAGE bar on chat.

• doodlebug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please. This is a comfort and safety thing and would vastly improve the Discord experience.

• Goldfish300 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the most *basic* and essential functions of a thing like Discord. Having to deal with trolls, harrassers, and people who escalate to stalking is a fucking nightmare when you can't even block them.

• CamelliaSinensis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, discord. Even seeing the 'blocked message' thing irritates me because I know they're still there, still fucking talking and saying stupid shit.

• Daniel | Midni9ht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great suggestion from so long ago, how have they still not added this? The entire purpose of blocking is not having to bother with said person anymore.

• Hiddlins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still waiting on a block feature that actually works. I'm tired of jerks who keep tracking what I say.

• Leonardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, i don't want to see that giant thing, " BLOCKED MESSAGES ", because i don't want to see their messages. I think the blocked person should vanish, till I desblock her. And not even they should see my messages as well

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base