How can we improve Discord?

Option to suppress @everyone and @here for single text channels

I think it would be nice to have an option to suppress @everyone and @here for text channels so it's the same way that suppress works for servers as a whole.

It can be a little bit frustrating getting @everyone / @here messages from a general chat that you don't want to mute, but you still want to see important announcements on the server from another channel or vice versa.

Just to avoid getting excess red numbers / notifications where possible.

Perhaps it could be part of muting the channel or a separate option all together. Either works well in my eyes :)

323 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kano shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Airova commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful. There are a few servers where I'm only interested in one or two channels out of many. As it is now, I can leave the @ notifications on and get pinged every single time someone uses them on any channel, most of which are useless to me, or I have to miss all of them. Being able to suppress this on some channels of a server, but not others, would be very helpful. Thanks!

• Firzenizer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please add this. I have been waiting for this for 3 years now. I have multiple gaming group channels with different games and I want to supress @everyone on the channels that I am not interested in but keep mentions active on the channels of my interest.

• RedRevReyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, honestly. Personally I like having a text channel where I mess with the bot settings and all that, so there's no need for notifications to get pushed out for that. I also added the DiscordRPG bot for one of my users and we also don't need notifications pushed out for that either.

• Xblade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea - and pls split here and everyone. Like, if we're calling for game matches or twitch streams, no one cares if you missed it (everyone shouldnt be used), but here SHOULD.

• JCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Per the FAQ and user support, neither muting nor setting a channel notifications to "nothing" will mute @everyone and @here notifications from that channel. We can suppress all everyone and @here notifications from a server, but not a specific channel in the server.

• tipoima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For people who say you can do it:
    If you mute the channel, notification settings for the channel are automatically disabled, including the ability to ignore @everyone/@here. What we want, to the ability to do BOTH. Seriously, why can't we mute everything at once?

• Shinji257 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do this as a user. Just go into notification settings. You can set notifications per channel if you wish.

• elizabethae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have an option to suppress @everyone/@here for the text channel of your choosing instead of the whole server. There are channels I mute and yet I still get notifications for because @everyone/@here is still enabled.

Example: We have a gaming channel so that people can group up and play games together except, I don't game. But I still get pop-ups notifying me that I have a message when instead I get a message from someone who just wants to game. The server is important to me, I cannot just suppress @everyone/@here because there are important things I cannot miss. The channel is already muted.

• Watchful1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It looks like there's almost the functionality to do this, but not quite. If you click the dropdown for a server in the top left, then notification settings, you can configure the notification level per channel. If you set it to "Nothing", @everyone and @here don't ping you. But if you mute the channel, those options disabled. So you can either mute all notifications, but still get the unread message indicator on all messages, or mute the channel and still get pinged for @everyone and @here.

If they just left the options enabled when you mute the channel, you could get both.

• tphecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what's wrong with just allowing only certain roles to use @everyone/@here?

• Shad0wReaper133 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who are slightly confused, he means he wants to have the ability to suppress individual channels themselves. Just thought I'd put that out there seeing as I was confused at first too.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base