How can we improve Discord?

Option to suppress @everyone and @here for single text channels

I think it would be nice to have an option to suppress @everyone and @here for text channels so it's the same way that suppress works for servers as a whole.

It can be a little bit frustrating getting @everyone / @here messages from a general chat that you don't want to mute, but you still want to see important announcements on the server from another channel or vice versa.

Just to avoid getting excess red numbers / notifications where possible.

Perhaps it could be part of muting the channel or a separate option all together. Either works well in my eyes :)

405 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kano shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Yzjdriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's extremely frustrating in a server with 50+ channels to receive @everyone and @here pings from a channel that I have muted, especially when I only actively check 1-5 channels on that server. Multiply this problem by 50+ servers and it's easy to see why this needs to be implemented yesterday.

• Chiff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in a couple of servers that do @everyone in a channel to say when a streamer from their group is live. I have no choice but to suppress @everyone for the entire server to stop this spam, but it means missing out on announcements in other channels.

• Ptemple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a pretty basic feature that should have been implemented the moment muting specific channels were.

Muting a channel and still receiving @everyone messages is honestly a worthless feature, as it means you aren't muting the channel, just filtering out specific messages.

To everyone saying "Go into roles and remove the option to use @everyone", ever thought about servers that you AREN'T the admin of, and that do not want to remove the option because @everyone is useful in certain scenarios. Having only the option to disable @everyone server-wide is honestly a nuclear option for a small problem.

• Wefflez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This honestly needs to be at hing. The fact that you can mute a channel and yet you still get the @here's and @everyone's is ridiculous. I have some servers that refuse to give people role specific tags so everybody results to @here'ing for a select group of people. Getting around 3-4 pings a day that don't even relate to me is beyond frustrating. I seriously don't understand why Discord hasn't allowed us to mute these yet

• OmercyA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Members of any servers should have the option to suppress mentioning the role since it bypasses @everyone/@here and all new servers just keep mentioning roles.

• Alt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I only really found out that the Suppress @everyone and @here option exists by stumbling upon it. In general, as a server owner, I'm pretty afraid to use either to notify people of important announcements because I'll *always* get angry responses of "don't @ me bro".

I think it would help reduce that if the notifications themselves had a "Don't want to see this? Click <here> to suppress notifications on this server" or something to that effect that would bring them to the notification settings for that server.

• Colo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Current supress options for mentions are limited because they can be bypassed, which makes it near useless

If theres a server that were spamming @everyone, @here, etc, I shouldn't still get the pings if I've already decided to supress them. If I have the server muted and every possible mention disabled, there should be no reason for me to still get the notifications. Its ability to be bypassed is basically limiting the user of a basic feature that decided which notifications to recieve and not to recieve.

So I wanted to suggest an option, or an improvement to the current option that lets me disable the mentions, with no other say. Because it gets out of hand sometimes.

• Impzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%, I was Googling how can I do this but it appears I can't.

• Airova commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely useful. There are a few servers where I'm only interested in one or two channels out of many. As it is now, I can leave the @ notifications on and get pinged every single time someone uses them on any channel, most of which are useless to me, or I have to miss all of them. Being able to suppress this on some channels of a server, but not others, would be very helpful. Thanks!

• Firzenizer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please add this. I have been waiting for this for 3 years now. I have multiple gaming group channels with different games and I want to supress @everyone on the channels that I am not interested in but keep mentions active on the channels of my interest.

• RedRevReyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, honestly. Personally I like having a text channel where I mess with the bot settings and all that, so there's no need for notifications to get pushed out for that. I also added the DiscordRPG bot for one of my users and we also don't need notifications pushed out for that either.

• Xblade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea - and pls split here and everyone. Like, if we're calling for game matches or twitch streams, no one cares if you missed it (everyone shouldnt be used), but here SHOULD.

• JCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Per the FAQ and user support, neither muting nor setting a channel notifications to "nothing" will mute @everyone and @here notifications from that channel. We can suppress all everyone and @here notifications from a server, but not a specific channel in the server.

• tipoima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For people who say you can do it:
    If you mute the channel, notification settings for the channel are automatically disabled, including the ability to ignore @everyone/@here. What we want, to the ability to do BOTH. Seriously, why can't we mute everything at once?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base