How can we improve Discord?

Customizable Notification Sounds

It would be great to be able to modify the sounds that are played as the notification for a given channel or conversation, either from the client level or the server level for channels

This would allow users to be able to differentiate between chats they are receiving messages from without having to check their notifications, which is something I am increasingly finding some level of frustration with as I migrate more onto discord as a service, since I talk to a lot of people. By a bare minimum, it would be nice to know whether or not the notification I am receiving is for a PM or is from a channel.

587 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

elgoatcheeseelgoatcheese shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • GuenGuen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like a customizable notification sounds.
    As it drives me potty getting "ding ding ding" when I'm not in a chat room, to the point I miss private messages.
    At the moment every "ding" I have to check to make sure, I'm not missing a private mesaage.

• kvnkvn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to mention a probable hindrance to this feature:

How would you manage sounds cross-device?

Are we satisfied with a per-device setting or do the custom-notifications have to be synchronized over devices?
    First one:
    + No issue of "how to synchronize" for the dev team I suppose
    - Have to redo them everywhere
    - No customs sounds in browser mode?
    Second one:
    + Easy and comfortable setting up at desktop and then having it on mobile as well <3
    - More work for dev I suppose? Like, does Discord now have to host the sounds? Or do the sounds have to be somewhere on the web? Furthermore it would be like a possible exploit opening

Where should new Sounds be stored, if they are stored locally? In open locations, or once loaded copied into user-invisible space? (this one pertains to android I suppose)

no matter the specifics please do! I want my silly TUTURU for my weeb-friends .-.

• 83-Protons83-Protons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I might just try my luck.

I looked on the internet for a moderate amount of time for an ability to change the sounds of the discord voice notification.
    there was a period of time that we were able to do it.

but after an update on the desktop app, it changed.

the problem I am facing is me talking in a private conversation on the phone, the room or anytime and space.
    when I press the keybinding action of muting and unmuting I can not distinguish from the mute and unmute especially if there were disturbances in the audio or playing a game on high volume.

and to be honest the notes are so close that it sounds the same everytime I press it when I am in a game.
    All of the present sound pack is in the same block of notes

leave-join-mute-unmute-notification.

the difference is so slight.

and if you don't have an ear and haven't gotten used to it.
    it's a high chance that this problem has been encountered by a lot.

-------

I hope all of my writing didn't go to waste and I hope I get some feedback.

my recommendation is to put a button to change between a new sound pack and the legacy sound pack.

and I do understand how nice it is and how stylish the sounds are but... it's all in your hands.

• Drago D. WolfDrago D. Wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would appreciate a volume slider with this as well. The standard "blep" for messages is very quiet.

• WVNDERWAFFEWVNDERWAFFE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's exactly what I wanted to share with you too! I would love to put in star wars sounds into my server.

• luxidoptera/diam0ndheartsluxidoptera/diam0ndhearts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mostly just want this so I can make my Discord notification sound be something stupid, like "SWOOCE" or Herb Cookie going "hoo hoo" or something like that- this is currently one of only two things Skype has over Discord, the other being the mood feature

But the option to have separate sounds for different servers would be pretty sweet as well

• SanctusMessorSanctusMessor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 Please!
    I would love to be able to set a different notification on my Android device so I know if the notification is a text message or Discord without looking.

Expanding on it:
    Notification options per Server
    Notification options per Channel
    Notification options per User

• AmethystEndAmethystEnd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, Discord, add this feature and allow different sounds across different servers. I have an idiot in my main server who has his other servers ping him on literally every message, so when people in my server ping him, sometimes he just ignores it because he figures it's from the server where every message pings. I told him this is idiotic and defeats the purpose of pings, but he wouldn't change it. Thus, the only solution is to have him set a different notification sound for my server.

Please make my dream come true.

• ShockumaShockuma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If nothing else, at least let us change the default notification sound. I live with a flatmate, and every time the notification plays it's a guessing game of whose discord it was. Not to mention living in a dormitory..

• NahoniNahoni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would LOVE to be able to customize messages so I can tell the difference between a private message, and server messages. Then take it one step further and allow us to customize general message sounds per server so we can tell where a message was posted without looking.

• Penny Kate Starr[lett]Penny Kate Starr[lett] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second this, I would LOVE to see this be a thing! I get a lot of notifications from my personal Discord server, as I want to keep aware of what's going on in it since I manage it, but half the time I tend to ignore the sounds if it's particularly busy - have the ability to customise sounds (or even just having a different sound for a direct message instead of a server message) would be VERY useful for drawing my attention back for important messages :)

• AybielAybiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep missing people inviting me to do stuff because I dismiss this stupid bleep sound I get when they PM me or ping me as just another channel message. This is extremely frustrating especially when I've been trying to do stuff with other people for days.

• BAZBAZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like to add:
    Friend joined
    Friend left
    Channel message
    Private message
    Friend message

• ShanaChiiBakaShanaChiiBaka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just updated the app on my iPhone and it now uses one of the default sounds on the phone and I hate it.. id like the old sound back please and thank you

• NinTheFolfNinTheFolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came here to say this, I don't really care for the default sounds, and I'm spoiled by older chat programs that let you change any sound you want.

• SphaeroXSphaeroX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dont forget "microphone muted".

Those sound / speech output will be very nice!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base