How can we improve Discord?

Customizable Notification Sounds

It would be great to be able to modify the sounds that are played as the notification for a given channel or conversation, either from the client level or the server level for channels

This would allow users to be able to differentiate between chats they are receiving messages from without having to check their notifications, which is something I am increasingly finding some level of frustration with as I migrate more onto discord as a service, since I talk to a lot of people. By a bare minimum, it would be nice to know whether or not the notification I am receiving is for a PM or is from a channel.

1,271 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

elgoatcheese shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

148 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ♡ ~('▽^人) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you please add the ability to give custom notification sounds for different users? Sometimes I will be chatting with multiple people, but I don't know which person is messaging unless I look at the icon with the message count. Sometimes I'm away from my phone/computer and can't differentiate between who is messaging... by allowing different sounds for each user, we could more quickly/easily decide whether we want to look/respond

• DanTriplerUn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be especially useful on the mobile app. Some phones just play their own generic sound for notifications rather than playing Discord's notification sound. My friend has a phone like that, and he usually gets bombarded by notifications every time he turns the phone on, so he has no way of telling Discord from Gmail or Facebook unless he looks at it. Please make this option available, at least on the mobile app.

• Akii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A bit of poking around in the code could probably yield the same results as what you're looking for

• socks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like personalized sounds for specific people, it'd be nice to know when a significant other messages you with a cute notification sound.

• Pisellone137 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to custumize each player's sound when joining a channel with a different sound. Any suggestion?

• [PBE] Bestial Huntress commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is just irritating to get the same notification sound, whether someone specifically sends a PM or just types a random line on a server you forgot to mute.

• Auren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please; can never really hear the passive new message sound or i just learned to tone it out.... want new sounds for private messages that is separate from general messages

• HackDamonius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope this will finally get in the new update its annoying if its the same sound for every channel

• Uni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I usuallu disable sounds for notifications at all times when using discord to avoid getting flooded with so much noise. Obviously that's an undeniable given when it comes to having such a mainstream voice chat app. But I'd like to turn on notification sounds for people I know. If one of my friends is DMing me, I'd like to know as soon as possible to reaspond as quickly as I can while also not having to check my feed every 2 minutes.

• GhostPants commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow people to set their own notification and/or call sounds, through a list of defaults and the ability to upload your own audio

• Matt Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom notification sounds would be wonderful. I'd like to be able to differentiate between channels. Would also like to be able to hear the difference between channel and PMs.

• krabs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to customize which notification/call sound you get for specific people or channels in order to know the importance of the message.

• Jeran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would love custom sounds, and the ability to assign said post sounds per channel. Its hard to tell where my messages are coming from! (especially when im getting PMs. PMs should have a unique sound, for higher priority)

• Rickeh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I was wondering if we could have additional audio options for alerts.
    Right now, my alerts are pretty loud and the only way to adjust it is to adjust the entire sound of Discord which affects everything from voice volume etc.
    It would be nice to be able to adjust the Dings, calls etc; under a different category.

• Neeko2lo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customizable notification sounds.
    This would help distinguish the notification from other discord channels without having you to look at your discord first.
    Also more customization is always fun.

• Sayonara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to use custom notifications sound like when my friends join the channel. I would gladly assign some funny quotes of what they said earlier for all of them when they join the server, for lulz.

• ↻ AinnMS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at the very least, allow for custom Discord sounds to be loaded and used. Allow users to install "sound packs" to customize their Discord notifications. A simple system where people simply open a ZIP or select from extracted folders (in a predefined or custom directory) would be supreme.

If any of the Discord devs are familiar with the Minecraft "Resource Packs" feature-- an ideal sound-patching system would be very similar, if not identical.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base