How can we improve Discord?

Customizable Notification Sounds

It would be great to be able to modify the sounds that are played as the notification for a given channel or conversation, either from the client level or the server level for channels

This would allow users to be able to differentiate between chats they are receiving messages from without having to check their notifications, which is something I am increasingly finding some level of frustration with as I migrate more onto discord as a service, since I talk to a lot of people. By a bare minimum, it would be nice to know whether or not the notification I am receiving is for a PM or is from a channel.

996 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

elgoatcheese shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

108 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • BrandonPalmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this would be great because after a while no matter how much you like the discord tone it gets extremely annoying

• DROID commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Please add sounds for Friend Add Request Notification

- so when someone send me add request i hear sounds what notify me that someone want add me on discord

hope all clear its really important thing i wonder how discord did not add by default yet so hope please add it asap thank yu

• DROID commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Please add sounds for Friend Add Request Notification

- so when someone send me add request i hear sounds what notify me that someone want add me on discord

hope all clear its really important thing i wonder how discord did not add by default yet so hope please add it asap thank yu

• Yoshツ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So what I'd like is a different sound for DM's than there is for Notifications, the reason for this is because if you can't see your DM's and you're waiting for someone to respond and you hear a *bloop* and you scroll up only to find that it's from a server. If there were different sounds I think it would save more time and wouldn't distract us from our other conversation's because we wouldn't' have to scroll up just to see if it was that person getting back to us. Thank you whoever is reading this for reading it!

• THE SHITSTORM HAS PASSED commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making an option for servers to set custom notification pings would be amazing. Even if it were just set for something like an announcements channel to distinguish

• {ZETA}Rampent_A1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be great if we can change the sound of a notification in a serer. For example you make an '@everyone' message for an announcement or something it plays that certain sound for all users.

• Xalzinor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have the ability to customize the notification sound of each friend you have. It would also be really awesome if I could customize every type of notification sound.

• Frosty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that this is something obvious, but has also been overlooked! I think Discord could become even more customizable by adding the ability to set your own sounds that play for any type of notification, whether it be a simple message, someone joining the call, leaving the call, etc etc

Phones have this...Discord finally offering this would be just plain awesome!

• skriibz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to modify and replace existing Discord sounds
    (notifications, call sounds like being called, ringing someone, etc..)

Kind of like how Skype lets you. Not sure if you still can on Skype though considering I haven't used it in two years.

• AeroUltimate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might have the option to change the notification sounds, for example: the sound you make when you receive messages or the music you play when you receive calls.

• Ryab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customizable notification sounds, so when someone calls me, the Uganda Knuckles National Anthem can play.

• Seff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good if we could set different sounds for incoming chat and direct messages. Thank you.

• Panda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You guys can just download betterdiscord (non-official) from their website and download the custom plugin

• Jared commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about the ability to change the notification sound for certain people/groups?

• Nekura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did a search for notification sound and didn't see anything like this, so here goes!

I would suggest that people be able to customize their notification sounds. The quiet, brief beep can lead to missed messages when playing a game and sometimes doesn't play when other programs are consuming audio resources on some systems, it seems. It would be nice to be able to swap in custom sounds so that you know it's discord and you could even add longer, slightly more disruptive sound to help catch more important messages.

Another nice addition to this itself would be being able to do custom notifications per person on the friends list as well as per server, that way you would know just by sound who it was, what it was, and whether or not it needed immediate attention! This would be really useful while playing an SP game and holding a conversation otherwise since there's no overlay chat.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base