How can we improve Discord?

Customizable Notification Sounds

It would be great to be able to modify the sounds that are played as the notification for a given channel or conversation, either from the client level or the server level for channels

This would allow users to be able to differentiate between chats they are receiving messages from without having to check their notifications, which is something I am increasingly finding some level of frustration with as I migrate more onto discord as a service, since I talk to a lot of people. By a bare minimum, it would be nice to know whether or not the notification I am receiving is for a PM or is from a channel.

728 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

elgoatcheese shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • trent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. As a moderator, there are certain channels that it's very important I check as soon as a notification is received, but other channels are not high priority and don't need sound notifications. Right now there's no way for me to separate notification sounds this way.

• Kane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be able to set a custom notification tone if you receive a message from a specific person or from a specific channel.

Would be a nice feature.

• Luci commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Might not be as important as others but, can we customize the notification sound?
    Many times I haven't been able to hear the sound when someone replies, other times It's hard to distinguish which person got a new message (if we're in VC and their mic pics up a new message) or if it's me getting a new message.

• Void commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

To be honest I'd just like a different and more noticeable message tone! The standard "BooWip!" sound just gets buried beneath TV or game audio, so I always end up receiving 5 messages, but not seeing them until the next day when I boot my PC and sign in to Discord.

A selection of notification sounds (or better still, being able to add your own), along with a volume slider, would be awesome.

• OOO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Plays custom sounds for direct messages and mentions in a server.

• SeanSenpai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if you could just change some of the discord default sounds.

Ex: Changing the Enter Call notification to a Legend of Zelda open chest sound.

• crab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be really useful if you could have different sounds for private messages being different from servers with all of their notifications on. I like to have some of my smaller servers open with notifications from all messages and sometimes I cant tell if its a private message or not. It would really help if the servers message notifications were quieter than the private messages.

• [O]ScienceisAmazing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like all the notification sounds and all but what if a discord server wanted a custom join or leave sound, or maybe some other sort of sound. That would be good for a more RPish community because then well... they could make it sound like something that had to do with the RP. Perhaps if this ever gets added, make a permission for it. That way if there are multiple RPs, someone can have a special role that can edit a certain channels sound.

• Tancla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to change any contact or group notification sound individually.

• Zer0Xly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm pretty sure that many people can agree that the incoming call sound is annoying. So why aren't we able to customize the different notification sounds by importing .wav or .mp3 files. This change would be good for Discord in many ways, because people love customization and to be able to change things to their own likings

• Guen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like a customizable notification sounds.
    As it drives me potty getting "ding ding ding" when I'm not in a chat room, to the point I miss private messages.
    At the moment every "ding" I have to check to make sure, I'm not missing a private mesaage.

• Classic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add an option in Discord settings > Audio

where you can SET YOUR OWN notification SOUND (max 5sec) for a direct message (or even a call (max 1min)

• kvn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to mention a probable hindrance to this feature:

How would you manage sounds cross-device?

Are we satisfied with a per-device setting or do the custom-notifications have to be synchronized over devices?
    First one:
    + No issue of "how to synchronize" for the dev team I suppose
    - Have to redo them everywhere
    - No customs sounds in browser mode?
    Second one:
    + Easy and comfortable setting up at desktop and then having it on mobile as well <3
    - More work for dev I suppose? Like, does Discord now have to host the sounds? Or do the sounds have to be somewhere on the web? Furthermore it would be like a possible exploit opening

Where should new Sounds be stored, if they are stored locally? In open locations, or once loaded copied into user-invisible space? (this one pertains to android I suppose)

no matter the specifics please do! I want my silly TUTURU for my weeb-friends .-.

• ThePontiac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I have been using discord for almost two years now, I have been kinda annoyed by the face that weather it's an @everyone ping, user ping, new message in a channel, or a PM that it's all the same notification sound. As a Twitch streamer and YT content Creator, I use Vegas 13 Platinum and while I edit I usually leave discord open just in case something happens and because you guys haven't Incorporated a different sound for each notif, I would be in the middle of editing, get a notification, head to my other screen and find out it's an @everyone, go back and completely lose what I wanted to do. If you guys could incorporate a sound option that allows you to Upload custom MP.3 clips for different notifications, that would be ideal. For example. I want to change the default sound for let's say a small clip of a song. You simply hit Change Ringtone for PM or change ringtone for @everyone mention, or change ringtone for Personal mention or something along those lines. I would feel alot of people would dig this idea and that it should be incorporated. Thanks! Discord tag : Goracing164605#5179

• Nakotobana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A suggestion I've had for a while, is different notification sounds for private messages, group messages, or mentions. Often when in a game I can't tell whether I got a private message or just another message from one of my servers, so I can't tell if it's something I need to respond to or look at quickly. Owning a fairly big server of my own, I hear messages happen often, but I can't tell if they're for me or not and I don't want to constantly tab out to check

• 83-Protons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I might just try my luck.

I looked on the internet for a moderate amount of time for an ability to change the sounds of the discord voice notification.
    there was a period of time that we were able to do it.

but after an update on the desktop app, it changed.

the problem I am facing is me talking in a private conversation on the phone, the room or anytime and space.
    when I press the keybinding action of muting and unmuting I can not distinguish from the mute and unmute especially if there were disturbances in the audio or playing a game on high volume.

and to be honest the notes are so close that it sounds the same everytime I press it when I am in a game.
    All of the present sound pack is in the same block of notes

leave-join-mute-unmute-notification.

the difference is so slight.

and if you don't have an ear and haven't gotten used to it.
    it's a high chance that this problem has been encountered by a lot.

-------

I hope all of my writing didn't go to waste and I hope I get some feedback.

my recommendation is to put a button to change between a new sound pack and the legacy sound pack.

and I do understand how nice it is and how stylish the sounds are but... it's all in your hands.

• Drago D. Wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would appreciate a volume slider with this as well. The standard "blep" for messages is very quiet.

• WVNDERWAFFE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's exactly what I wanted to share with you too! I would love to put in star wars sounds into my server.

• banndsand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than using the default notification sound for your mobile device, it would be nice if users could set a custom sound, an option many other apps offer.

• luxidoptera/diam0ndhearts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mostly just want this so I can make my Discord notification sound be something stupid, like "SWOOCE" or Herb Cookie going "hoo hoo" or something like that- this is currently one of only two things Skype has over Discord, the other being the mood feature

But the option to have separate sounds for different servers would be pretty sweet as well

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base