How can we improve Discord?

Role Count

Increase role count limit. 250 is way too small for large servers. 500-600+ would be much more preferable.

627 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Narwhal shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

78 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jason Khanlar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A few days ago I kicked about 20 bots from my server, created 20 roles, and then reinvited all of the bots back to the server for a total of about 270 roles (20+ of them auto created for bots, and extending beyond the 250 limit). I am out of roles again and I calculated that I can create 15 more roles if I kick ALL of the bots this time, create role placeholders while there are 0 bots in the server, and then reinvite all of the bots back into the server, to have maximum use of all the 250 roles that are technically possible to attain.

Unfortunately, a tiny bit I am deterred from doing this due to a few reconfigurations and channel permissions I'll have to make sure are reconfigured again. I'll do it, but, for every 500,000-1,000,000+ discord server, for every person who may potentially encounter similar dilemma, it seems practically unnecessary, waste of time, given the simplicity of automation and easing the effort for humans to achieve such things. I noticed requests on the Discord feature request website (I can't remember it off the top of my head), asking for making the bot roles not count towards the 250 role limit. Is this feature still in consideration maybe?

• Naklita commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently max role capacity is 250 and this is a really small number for roleplaying servers and such. We would like that maximum role capacity to be doubled... doubled to 500 cause 250's not enough for a roleplaying server as we neeed to create kingdoms,classes,races E.T.C

• 345boneshoss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my server, I use the jColour bot to make so many color roles for my members, and a role restriction of 250 will clearly not be enough to satisfy those people. Also, bot roles shouldn't count as a part of the role amount limit either.

• PhoenixIsLit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately need this. My server has a role store set up, and with only 100 members we are at the role cap.

• EyeKanSpel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Increase the amount of roles a server can have. I run a philisophical server, and 250 is really restrictive. We met that in less than 3 weeks. It would be great to be able to customize more, and everyone on the server agrees. I don't care if the roles section lags with too many, because I'm really commited to describing every ideaology possible. I also think roleplay and gaming servers would love this addition.

Thanks!

• Starleaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Increasing the role limits would be very helpful for large servers as they would allow better organization and customization. Also, bot-added roles should not count against the limit of roles a server has.

• koknight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just to keep this going. I'm community manager for an esports group that trains casters and producers. We service many games so each game has a separate competitor, caster, producer role. As we bring in more people who want to work on more games it goes up by at least three! We also have roles to separate the experience of the casters and producers as well as those to recognize pros, media, etc. While every member doesn't have their own role like some of these larger groups, I constantly refine how we define users as we creep towards the limit.

• Demon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldn't mind if this is a paid monthly feature to keep a server "premium" as 250 role limit is quite heavy server wise. Something perhaps $5/month or $10/month?

• Matt A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes all discord users need this for many many reasons half the people voting no don't even own their own discord server and don't know the struggle for us big server owners!!!

• xSignificant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this. It has been two years since this suggestions was posted. Make server owners happier.

• ⚡ zDrakon ⚡ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My server relies on giving people custom roles as a perk of being voice verified. I am willing to pay a sort of server upgrade Nitro feature.

• Soft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm supporting the implementation of a higher role count. Atleast offer 1000 max role limit!

• happaz0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support the increased roles to at least 500+. Especially after reading comments with folks who know about Discord servers than I do.

• R.I.P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a pokemon server and i have to make 3 pokemon servers to add atleast 200 pokemon i also add custom waves of pokemon such as doodles s- before the pokemon name for shiny and alot more
    right now were on 250 roles and were trying to make some more sense with it

• ThreadSnake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a server in which about every person had their own role, and this means that new users will push role counts up. I think that 500 would be better for servers like this. Also, can we call roles tags? since that's pretty much what they are?

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base