How can we improve Discord?

Quoting

Allow us to quote other messages, and optionally quotes in general.
It would look something like this: http://i.imgur.com/7Lbn6Bw.png

And it would build off of the basic Markdown used by Discord:
> hey
> imagine if we could quote people on discord
> -- @Somebody, Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 10:03:10 PM

Optionally, if the quote links to an actual existing message, you could click on it to highlight it, like message pinning.

6,127 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TylianTylian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

238 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • «sligh«sligh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clan ain't using discord until it's added. It's a basic function for any text chat. How is this not a feature already.

• kimaerokimaero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just take a look how other messengers have implemented this feature, i.e. telegram. Just double-click on a message you are replying and you have a correct quotation. People can click then on the quote to jump to that exact moment in conversation and find out what was the context of the quote. It makes it easier to go along the conversation where different people are discussing different things simultaneously, you always know that people will understand what is the point your answer belongs to.

• XbladeXblade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yesh! Even ANCIENT bbs allows for quotes. Come now ;)
    I know you guys will want to release it with 10000 bells and whistles immediately, but honestly I'd rather see just a plain ol "> Quote" and "Response": Just make it look like an embed.

Give us something BASIC, THEN add the bells n whistles so we don't have to wait 2 years for it :D

• FrostyFrosty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we can share out thought together here join my server lets plan things for Discord together. Moreover I like this idea. Nevertheless; I am looking for a special TEAM to work out something new for Discord. Join my Discord and lets plan together for Discord. (Updates)

If you are planing to improve Discord why not join my server and plan together?
    Discord: https://discord.gg/YnS7YA9

• Sumguy129Sumguy129 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We kind of have that already. Putting @ over an account name.

For example: @Sumguy129

• GavloisGavlois commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support for Markdown blockquotes using the '>' symbol.

Would be nice to use when quoting things without having to use things like codeblocks or italicizing.

• BeastlyMC956BeastlyMC956 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a feature the makes you add a quote to your profile or server, I would like to see this added because this would add more personality to a person or a server.

• CMEPTbCMEPTb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Felics, are you actually referring to this exact topic?
    And yes, quoting should be essential.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

a way to quote a user message formerly know from better discord it makes a embed of the message with the users avatar icon upon clicking on the users name it jumps to the message briefly highlighting it to display the message I think this would be very handy for discord server/guild owners to display users messages in different servers and also in private messages

• ThumbsyArrowStompThumbsyArrowStomp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh yes, this definitely needs to be in Discord. I was actually incredibly surprised to see this isn't a thing yet. As people before me have already suggested, something like Telegram's approach would be very nice, where you can jump straight to the original message from your quote.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base