How can we improve Discord?

Allow us to quote other messages, and optionally quotes in general.
It would look something like this:

And it would build off of the basic Markdown used by Discord:
> hey
> imagine if we could quote people on discord
> -- @Somebody, Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016 10:03:10 PM

Optionally, if the quote links to an actual existing message, you could click on it to highlight it, like message pinning.

8,519 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tylian shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • ExtrysGO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

like Telegram for example,
    it will be super useful because im sure that all of us have needed to copy the text of the user we want to answer and @ them, all would be unnecesary if we have quoting

and send a notificacion to the quoted people like wen then got a @ message

• lighton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord Dev team! This is such a BASIC and Important feature to have.

Can you please include it - look at the votes!! There's certainly a need without a doubt!

• DIO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today I needed to quote one post and since I've always thought 'Copy ID' is for quoting someone, I copied it and....... realized it's not what I thought it is, so I started googling just to find out it is not possible, although it has been suggested multiple times... how it is even possible...

• GlacialMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As in forums, the presence of the following functions

- Multi Quote

is really needed. Thanks.

• pushka-ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slack is great with being able to reply to someone/ comment on their message and start a thread - but I guess Discord is only for messaging, like Facebook Messenger?

• mofumofu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how this has 8356 votes and is not being implemented like yesterday.

Discord devs should load up Slack and shamelessly rip off all of the features it has that Discord doesn't, like this one. Heh. Of course, Discord has tons of cool features that Slack doesn't, but then that's why I use Discord and not Slack. I really do miss this feature from Slack though.

• Mric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please this would be a deathblow to skype, even if its activelly trying to sepukku itself every new patch now.

• Shadow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@andy.czerwonka: Nop, although similar they aren't related. Threaded chat is more complex than just quoting and quoting doesn't always mean following up a conversation. At times one would simply quote someone to remind about something or just mention what someone else said, then it doesn't actually mean a reply to the original post. Both ideas are good, but are completely different.

• yeezus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'll explain the issue i am experiencing with then i will post my suggestion.

Issue: Whenever we copy a message sent from a user to quote it, it just looks messed up.

USERNAME - Today at 5:39 PM

This looks unprofessional, however Skype has better quoting system as we know that.

Suggestion: When we hover our mouse over a message, we see different options on the specified message, on its right bottom. We need to have a Quote button there near emoji button " ? " <-- This sign to quote it.
    Also when we right click a "Quote" option must appear.
    Also if we dont just select a message, whole of it should be quoted and if we select a part of message, only the selected part should be quoted and copied to clipboard or directly put into the writing panel.

For me this is an important need. Hope it will be added.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base