How can we improve Discord?

Make pinging people be a permission, or limit number of pings per message

Trolls have started mass pinging servers by choosing 100 random members of the server and pinging each one individually in a single 2000 character message. Even if a bot auto-bans them immediately, it can't unping those 100 people, who will then go to the channel and wonder why they got pinged. In a server with 200 people online, this amounts to half the online users being pinged. These attacks happen regardless of verification level, so long as the server is public.

There are several ways to deal with this problem:
1. Make pinging other users be a role permission, just like how @everyone and @here is a role permission. This solves the problem because new users can be forced to wait 1-3 days before being given a role that allows them to ping other users, but will still be allowed to talk and participate in the server.

2. Give each server a configurable per-message ping limit. This would allow a server to, for example, limit the total number of pings in a single message to 10. This doesn't entirely solve the problem, but it would minimize the damage and make insta-banning trolls much more effective, because we would only have to deal with a few users being irrevocably pinged, instead of 100.

3. Make a new verification level that disallows pinging other members until you've sent at least 100 or so messages. The purpose of this verification would be to give the moderators time to figure out if a new member is a troll before the troll can attempt a mass ping attack.

#1 would be ideal, because it would allow bots to implement #3 or their own methods of dealing with ping spam, but the devs are free to implement whatever method is easiest to code. Maybe the devs have a different idea for dealing with ping spam, which is also fine, so long as it gives server admins some way of dealing with trolls mass pinging their users and not being able to do anything about it.

3,050 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Blackhole shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

141 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Noruego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a simple concept, how is it still not implemented yet? Holy fuck

• Xblade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or even a bot spam channel -- so when you ?whois @someguy , he isn't ACTUALLY pinged~

Or even an announcements channel: Allow lower-level users to announce things without pinging. Allow higher-level users to announce things WITH ping.

This absolutely needs to be a thing:
    * Permission to mention ROLES
    * Permission to mention @USERS

For example, we have an official game server. We have a #feedback-dont-ping channel. While we can turn off @everyone messages, they'll always @ping entire roles or people despite the name.

Ideally, we'd turn off role/user @mentions in this channel and rename it to something shorter, just #feedback.

This is only a SINGLE use -- there are tons of reasons for this.

• Janat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't really find this anywhere but I am thinking that if only people within a role lets say "pubg" could ping the pubg role it would make it much easier to handle people abusing the ping system if you have a big server with a LFG/Looking for more channel! :)

• Mr. Cat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On any server, when you create a role, you can make it that ANYONE can mention that role, or not. I want to ask if you can add the option to make it that only certain users and/or roles can ping a role. This'd help a lot. Thank you.

• Abura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love this idea. We have a NSFW channel and I'd love to disable anyone from mentioning anyone, instead of only just @everyone.

Through bot use I already have it set up that you need to "agree" that you are 18+ by clicking a reaction and then you get to see the channel, but that doesn't disable personal pings

• soulstenance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No idea why my suggestion was merged as this is totally different suggestion. Did the person who moved it even read it?! Ah well...

• soulstenance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see a ping limit in a given amount of time from the same user or server. For example, no more than 1 ping every 30 seconds will make a sound. As it is right now, if someone is in a conversation with me and I'm busy, I'm forced to use DnD but the problem is this silences everything and remains so until I switch it off. This would be a lot better.

• Scarab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A way to limit users with only certain roles to @ certain roles and or users.

IE: Only allow moderators to @ various privilege roles.

• SimplePotato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Discord staff. I know you are very busy, but this would be a very important add to discord especially on larger servers!

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can turn 'allow anyone to mention this role' on when you need to ping it, then turn it off right afterwards!

• Levi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In some servers I'm in, the mods use a role that you can ask to have assigned to you to ping people about important things. In bigger servers, this means 100s of people on the lower end. This means that any user can ping the role, making it just as frustrating as when random users ping everyone (which can be turned off, whereas role pinging can't). There could either be a permission in role permissions to allow a certain role to ping other roles, or it could be when you tick the 'Allow users to mention this role' a popup asks you which roles you want to be able to ping this role.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base