How can we improve Discord?

Threaded Text Chat

Add a feature to sort chat by conversational threads. Threads are automatically generated when users reply to a topic of conversation. Users can sort posts by date or threaded topic. A new topic can have a title. Topics can be linked, merged and so on.

427 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SquinkyDinky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Victor Kroese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this will be very useful to organize the conversations. Now there is a big risk of getting lost in the multitude of messages in a chat. How about if you have in addition to the reaction a respond. Where you can respond with a text message. If there is no thread yet the first response makes a thread (can be recursive probably).

• TheProfessor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this feature EVER coming? This request is two fucking years old, and this is GENUINELY not that fucking hard to implement. I could've built it for you by now for free. It's probably 2 days of work at most.

• Shadow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@andy.czerwonka: Nop, although similar they aren't related. Threaded chat is more complex than just quoting and quoting doesn't always mean following up a conversation. At times one would simply quote someone to remind about something or just mention what someone else said, then it doesn't actually mean a reply to the original post. Both ideas are good, but are completely different.

(Yep, I posted the same reply in both requests :P)

• andy.czerwonka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't sound like this all that important to the primary gamer demographic. Unfortunate, as it's the #1 issue for users trying to move across from Slack or others. Keep on voting people!

• w9jds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On top of this feature, it should also have a permissions option in the channel. For instance I wouldn't want to allow people to send messages in a channel, but I would be fine with thread posts. this allows for conversation on announcements or pings, but doesn't come with the bloating of the channel and notifications.

• døy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would really help communities with Q&A in the context of providing help to newbies with coding for example.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base