How can we improve Discord?

server roles

Have server roles include deny function.

Right now when it comes to server role permissions, they are either a green check or a box, which means inherit from the @everyone role.

So unchecking the box does not deny a role permission, it simply sets it to inherit from everyone.

On our server we have a "time out" role for lack of a better term, for users who are not quite bannable but are being put in time out.

simply unchecking every box in the permission does NOT put that role in a deny state, simply an inherit state. We then have to go to every channel and add that role, and deny permissions on a channel level.

However, they can still change their Nick name into obnoxious offensive names that the main channel sees, which btw, is the only channal I can't remove them from because the "Read Messages" permission won't come out of the Inherit state to a deny to block them into the time out room completely.

More importantly, having no deny ability on the server level means you have to do it on the channel level, for EVERY channel. Add role to channel, and deny all permissions.

It would be much easier if you could just add a red X to the server role itself allowing you to deny a permission higher up on the hierarchy.

There are also a few other reasons this would be good as well but I don't want to list them all here.

39 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AgentExeider shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ulexos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bump because time out role frustration shouldn't be a thing on this swole platform

• WPAK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also trying to set up a similar thing.
    People have a Role that allows additional channels after being 'verified', but I would like to add a Role that overrules any rules for temporary block channels and forces the people with that New Role to a certain channel. For example as a Temp ban or Timeout, without the need to having to remove any existing role(s) but just by adding a Timeout role that over rules any other roles

• opl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this one. Being able to deny permissions by giving someone a role would be very useful. Muting people, disallowing nickname changes, forcing push to talk on people who can't properly use voice detection, disallowing file uploads for people who abuse them or disallowing creating invites to channels: being able to do all of those things by assigning a single role to someone, without having to remove what could be many other roles is something many communities could benefit from. The ability to do it without any workarounds would be much less time consuming and reliable, making it easier to moderate such communities and giving the administration time to focus on more important things or to simply enjoy talking with other people.

[dupe] https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712/suggestions/19192975

• Zergling_man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The red box is only for per-channel permissions. You can't deny a permission globally for a role; you have to remove it from @everyone then include it in a role just above, then exclude that role from people.
    A very tedious workaround.

• Zergling_man commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bump bump bump, I'm trying to achieve the exact same thing, and in the process discovered this - what I consider to be a massive oversight. Why was this not already implemented?

Feedback and Knowledge Base