How can we improve Discord?

Revert Server Changes

I help coordinate a community leadership guild on Discord. A worrying trend I've been seeing is our admins having their servers vandalized or destroyed. 2FA helps protect against unwanted account access but sometimes an admin or mod will go rogue and wreck things.

It would greatly help us all if owners could revert server activity/changes by certain intervals (perhaps by 5 minutes all the way to 24 hours). It is far too easy for us to lose countless hours of valuable discussion and information if an admin turns on us.

2,251 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Blumiere shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

75 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TiramisuTruffle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can this please be a thing? I dont know how but someone I don’t even know deleted all of my channels and it really sucks that I can’t undo all of the damage he did, so much stuff lost that I can never get back. I feel like this should already be a thing because I’m sure there are bound to be salty people and/or even hackers.

• TheVoidd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there was a person in are Chanel that deleted over a year of massages. this would be a great improvements to add

• shasta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The owner accidently deleted the general chat with over 60k messages. If i could get it back that would be amazing.

• OtakuCarrots commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of my Admins got rid of all my roles and banned most members. I had hundreds of members, but they're all gone now. Please, if you could, then change my server back to how it was. -OtakuCarrots#7055 :(

• Russo10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea, a full blown admin recycle bin for everything from categories and channels to deleted posts would be nice instead of just channels.

• TheGuyWithNoName commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of my Co-Owners (Blxzx #2965) has deleted and changed channels and made channel names inappropriate. If you could revert my server back it would be cool :)
    TheGuyWithNoName #0001

• Pepper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of my admins on my server is a bit of a moron at times and wiped the general chat over some bot issues. 30,000+ message history gone in an instant, unable to be recovered. MAKE THIS A GODDAMN FEATURE, DEVS.

• J̪̓o͙̓ş̊e͉̓p̧̕h̒ͅ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure this would be needed on this level but just a small notification bar if you like that stays at the bottom of the window with an undo button for about 15 seconds.

• Hexstream commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMPORTANT: You can already protect individual channels from deletion by anyone who is not an admin by revoking the "Manage Channel" permission in the channel overrides!

This does not protect from deletion by full admins (as opposed to "mere" mods), but you should very rarely need to bestow full admin powers on someone anyway, and you should never do that if you don't trust them 100%.

(I still support the main suggestion, but what I'm saying is useful for helping to prevent random mods from causing extensive irreparable damage.)

• Shentino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also deal with people having their admin privileges hijacked by a hacker.

• Shentino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be more careful who you trust with channel deletion permissions.

That said I still think it's a good idea to have this, just in case the person in question happens to get hacked.

• MrAconite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same thing happened to my server today. A chat that was the original first chat of my server, created on December 5th 2015 and then getting deleted by someone who didn’t even have the proper permissions to manage channels.

I think the proper solution for this is adding a new setting into discord that would be called “Administrator Aproval”. This would mean that any major change to the server would be alerted to any or all of the admins of the server.

That way, big decisions could be managed by the server admins even when someone has permission to make big changes!

• Ninja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how about a confirmation box where the owner has to say yes to the channel getting deleted?

• Yep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe you should make it so only the server owner can bring back deleted channels, because it can get annoying if you're trying to delete a channel and someone else keeps on bringing it back.

• JackT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really good if one of your mods suddenly turned on you and deleted the server out of spite after an argument. Voted

• Antar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely support SOME kind of way to recover accidental deletions. I'm constantly in paranoia of the General text channel being deleted since it was made possible to delete. History and memories are really important to me.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base