How can we improve Discord?

Recording Option for Voice Chat

It would be a great addon to the program to have a preset recording option for voice chat, just like other applications (Teamspeak for example).

Simply, you start the recording with the click of your mouse and at the end it would be coded in a common audio file (.wav or .mp4 for example) and stored in the folder you have selected.

To identify that someone is recording in the chat it could activate a notification by means of written text or an icon in the user who is recording. Of course this option should be add to the configurable permissions. So you could choose which rooms you can record and who can record.

As Podcasters (https://www.ivoox.com/escuchar-elitecast-2-0_nq_223541_1.html) we have been waiting for this option to exist in the application so that we can finally move to it for the recording of the programs. Thank you very much!

2,165 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

XPi2XPi2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

161 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JaPeMoJaPeMo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi!!!!! @XPi2 Just Yesterday I try with Audio recorder bot from https://podframe.com.
    This bot save yours conversations in 2 modes:
    1. all voices together in a file mp3
    2. All voices together in a file mp3 + extra separate X files voices in mp3.

Have a server to insert your podcast and channels.

Just this night we can to do one more try again with 6 person to see if volume and level is stabilized for all members in channel and Monday start witg our podcast Relatos del Fenix, produced by Spanish Community of Ashes of Creation game.
    Https://ashesofcreation.es

Regards!!!!

• AMGambitAMGambit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be bloody amazing if we were able to record all the audio on a server rather than separate audio from mic and speaker. So I do a little recording here and there for games and I have to separate how i record my audio from game, discord and mic. The game and discord audio is great because of the recording threshold but when my mic records it does not have that same threshold, it's always recording. Which is fine since I edited the whole clip to reduce the background noise and use filtered. That's kool.
    But what would be awesome is if the audio that the server hears is all recorded; so rather than have my mic recorded separate, it's all in discord and what's recorded is what discord hears and this is a mp3 file or something. Does that make sense?

I thought this would already be a feature since no one else seems to be doing it or having a different variation and not what I described above, or am i mistaken?

I think the major concern will be recording without permission (?) which is why this has not happened yet but maybe the ability to record what discord hears can be the admin of the channel rather than anyone? (seems to be given that).

But I don't know. Anyone can shed some light on something like this for me if it already exists or if something is coming?

Thanks Guys.

• Dia Dia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this isn't implemented properly it's a huge privacy concern.

• RellimRellim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Implementing a recording function in Discord is fine to me, however should be noted that to make sure all people are aware, there needs to be some sort of notification to all users in the channel saying they're being recorded. Otherwise you're gonna run into privacy issues.

• Vessels Of VOIDVessels Of VOID commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I wrote the title of this suggestion, I realized other people thought of this. But, I'll still write it. OK. So yesterday I wrote a suggestion/question request to support.discordapp.com about recording on Discord. Overall, I was suggesting if it was possible to have a feature in Discord (windows,etc...) that would allow me to record all audio in a voice call or voice chat. And by all audio, I mean all the audio from everyone talking in the voice call or voice chat. Here's the post from yesterday:

Hi. I had an idea for the voice chats in Discord. If ever this is to complex, or for some reasons it's not possible, I won't mind. OK. What if there was an option in the app (windows, and other) that allows a user to record a call or any voice chats/audio (yes, just audio recording)??? I know, there's OBS,etc... and a lot of programs that record speaker+mic audio and pc screen. But, I don't want to install something if it's going to slow down the laptop. So if there's a possibility of creating such a thing without using to much computer resource, then it would be a side option for Discord. Oh, and it would be a built-in option. I do have audacity, but it does not allow me to record stereo mix and mic at the same time. Remember, this is just an idea I am passing over to you, and if you have no use of it, you may throw it out the window.
    Have a good day.

Sacha

• timmyRStimmyRS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know about your contry, but in germany this is illegal as defined by § 201 StGB. The ToS would have to allow for such thing, and I would probably stop using Discord if the ToS where changed like that.

• sadponesadpone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

allowing your voice to be recorded from your profile settings would be help this make sense.

• iBibicusiBibicus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't understand how recording is not a feature of Discord. It's essential for any meetings nowadays. It's a feature of both Skype for Business and Mumble. And Mumble even has multi-track recordings built in. Come on, it's 2017, not 1995.

And who cares if some US states has archaic laws? It's the recorder's responsibility to follow the law, not the company creating the application.

In most places of the world you are able to record your own conversations.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base