How can we improve Discord?

Give the new Search feature permissions

Please add permissions to the search feature so servers (+channels, roles, members) can opt-out.

Many users have expressed that they are not comfortable having their entire message history easily searchable. This also poses a major privacy risk -- for example, malicious users will be able to "dox" (search for and collect personal information) with relative ease.

I'd like to see this added in 2 different ways:
1. A "Search Message History" permission so it can be disabled for certain roles/channels/members.
2. A User Setting that globally hides your messages from all search results.

447 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Karii⠦ ♡Karii⠦ ♡ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TajniakTajniak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's already "Read message history" basically, searching is just a faster way to find something instead of scrolling manually/using a script, but the latter can be done anyways. If you post your personal info on Discord, you just "doxed" yourself. Doesn't make sense to add this.

• MarshallMarshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish I could give a -1 to this post because it is pure trolling.

1) implies that searching one's messages invades their privacy. well, why would you post something publicly if you don't want people to see it?
    2) implies that searching one's messages allows to collect personal information. in this case you should not post personal information publicly in the first place.

• Thunder33345Thunder33345 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i get your point in a sense, but why not just make a user setting that globally hides your posted messages from anyone?
    because who knows when you would post a personal information and i bet there already people who will screenshot/copy it
    or there channel logging scrapers bots that record everything without you even contesting it, so why not just dont post it in the first place?

• iiPostMasterGamingYTiiPostMasterGamingYT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know why so many people are against this, I actually agree. I mean, sure, the idea needs to be modified, but maybe not as harshly as some would assume. I should think that file uploads should be made unavailable after... Let's say, a month? That way, if you posted a selfie and didn't delete it, someone could still search the message, just not get the file. If people are really so concerned, they could always search their own messages after some time and edit or delete them.

• StewieFellowsStewieFellows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pointless. Lock it down all you want. People who are determined to dig up info on people in servers can use software on their on machine to search quickly.

• TearlowTearlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Take the hint: If you feel uncomfortable about something you're about to post. DON'T BLOODY DO IT!

Christ; What's next. Take down search engines? They might find content unsuited for these snowflakes.

• AtendegaAtendega commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Internet 101: Don't post about it if you don't want people to see it.

This is pointless.

• ThroudinThroudin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Then tell them to delete sensitive data, your server can already be crawled without the built-in search feature anyways.

• DimitriasDimitrias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A permission for limiting how far back message history (and search) goes would work well I think.

• JojoJojo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This permissions doesn't make sense since there are other ways to lookup messages per api

• RedSkullRedSkull commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Many users have expressed that they are not comfortable having their entire message history easily searchable. This also poses a major privacy risk -- for example, malicious users will be able to "dox"
    Why the hell would you like to post your private info IN CHAT?
    And no, no user setting such as "hide my messages from search plz boss". Then probably 75% of people will check that and search feature will became useless, isn't it?

• HenpemazHenpemaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever information can be retrieved with the Search feature can already be retrieved by other means.

Whoever is interested on that sort info can get it pretty easily with Javascript and modding Discord itself and WILL NOT be stopped by what you're suggesting.

Implementing this would be a waste of resources.

• vhexvhex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a ridiculous idea. Just don't share personal data in groups with people you don't know.

• JeFaJeFa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you fear scrapping add 2 factor authentication and limit the @everyone role permissions, the search function hasn't anything to do with security risks, it just makes easy to search content, all the data was already there.

Just don't post personal data

• Abyss1992Abyss1992 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems a bit pointless you shouldn't be sharing information like that on a public platform.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base