How can we improve Discord?

Give the new Search feature permissions

Please add permissions to the search feature so servers (+channels, roles, members) can opt-out.

Many users have expressed that they are not comfortable having their entire message history easily searchable. This also poses a major privacy risk -- for example, malicious users will be able to "dox" (search for and collect personal information) with relative ease.

I'd like to see this added in 2 different ways:
1. A "Search Message History" permission so it can be disabled for certain roles/channels/members.
2. A User Setting that globally hides your messages from all search results.

534 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Karii⠦ ♡Karii⠦ ♡ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to respectfully disagree, as this is extremely helpful for those of us who can't remember things as easily. It would be like anti-accessibility, which is bad.

Case and point, less than an hour ago, I had to search text in two servers to see who and where I talked about a topic with, so I could continue conversation regarding it. The search is amazing, but if its disabled, then how would one ever make use of it? Plus people could just use a custom Discord client to get around a limited search.

In my personal opinion, if you don't want people to see something, search yourself in the server and edit or remove any messages you'd like people to not be able to see. We can still scroll up through messages as well, after all.

• timmyRStimmyRS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Think before writing, in gerneral.
    2. When writing something you'd not like to have viewable afterwards, delete it shortly after creation.

• TajniakTajniak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's already "Read message history" basically, searching is just a faster way to find something instead of scrolling manually/using a script, but the latter can be done anyways. If you post your personal info on Discord, you just "doxed" yourself. Doesn't make sense to add this.

• MarshallMarshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish I could give a -1 to this post because it is pure trolling.

1) implies that searching one's messages invades their privacy. well, why would you post something publicly if you don't want people to see it?
    2) implies that searching one's messages allows to collect personal information. in this case you should not post personal information publicly in the first place.

• Thunder33345Thunder33345 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i get your point in a sense, but why not just make a user setting that globally hides your posted messages from anyone?
    because who knows when you would post a personal information and i bet there already people who will screenshot/copy it
    or there channel logging scrapers bots that record everything without you even contesting it, so why not just dont post it in the first place?

• StewieFellowsStewieFellows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pointless. Lock it down all you want. People who are determined to dig up info on people in servers can use software on their on machine to search quickly.

• TearlowTearlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Take the hint: If you feel uncomfortable about something you're about to post. DON'T BLOODY DO IT!

Christ; What's next. Take down search engines? They might find content unsuited for these snowflakes.

• AtendegaAtendega commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Internet 101: Don't post about it if you don't want people to see it.

This is pointless.

• ThroudinThroudin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Then tell them to delete sensitive data, your server can already be crawled without the built-in search feature anyways.

• DimitriasDimitrias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A permission for limiting how far back message history (and search) goes would work well I think.

• JojoJojo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This permissions doesn't make sense since there are other ways to lookup messages per api

• HenpemazHenpemaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever information can be retrieved with the Search feature can already be retrieved by other means.

Whoever is interested on that sort info can get it pretty easily with Javascript and modding Discord itself and WILL NOT be stopped by what you're suggesting.

Implementing this would be a waste of resources.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base