How can we improve Discord?

More status options than "Playing"

What I think would be cool is if we would be able to set our status to other things than just "playing *game*". So what I would like to see added is that when choosing your status (Online, Inactive, Do not disturb), there would be a drop down menu where you can choose things like "Cooking *food*, Watching *movie*, Having a *activity*. If no game is being played the choosen status would show instead of "playing game".

Here are some ideas that could be featured:

Cooking "pancakes"

Watching "Rouge One"

Having a "party"

At "lunchbreak"

Working with "After Effects"

Creating "games"

Looking to play "Battlefield 1"

This is what it could look like: http://imgur.com/a/0iSgh

8,912 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JabbathefruktJabbathefrukt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

183 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SiegaPlaysSiegaPlays commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think such a feature should reset at logout, otherwise there will be people on perpetual pancake making.

I like the "looking to play..." idea, however, that would be so much more fascinating in a cool lfg feature or openraid.org like scheduling feature or a combo.

• TancredTancred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to also have other status messages like "At work" or "Do not disturb". I know there is already the status "DnD" which shows a red dot, but I meant the status message should change from "Playing xxx" to "At work"/"DnD"/etc..

• GOTH WIFEGOTH WIFE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the option to display currently running games as status messages which appear next to our names in servers, but I think users should be able to set status messages independently as well. Please implement this.

The current workaround is somewhat convoluted, since it requires changing the name of an active program in the Games tab of one's App Settings, and it will always preface messages with "Playing" -- but it's still in use, so I can't be the only one who would appreciate the ability to customize my status...? There could be a shortcut to changing it by clicking on yourself in a server's list of users (alongside or entirely replacing the ability to add a note to oneself, for instance). I apologize if a similar suggestion already exists (I searched but didn't see one).

• PutinPutin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey some more options to this could connect to things like spotify, lastfm, and trakt so when youre watching tv or movies or listening to music. :D

• Captain RexCaptain Rex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make it so I can add a message under my name like "working on a server" or have it so I can put my own message

• Darklight221Darklight221 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wonder how much people would like the idea of having special status messages like " Looking to play games " or select specific games? Also what about having expanded profiles to allow us to put short summaries about ourselves with maybe some tracking of what games we've been playing and how many hours? Or, something like putting on servers a list of games commonly played which coincide with tracked hours?

• FailsWithTailsFailsWithTails commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shared my sentiments about this half a year ago. Still want it just as much, if not more.

As I mentioned before, many gaming and Twitch communities are more than just people who play games together - they're social families that do things together besides digital gaming. It's silly to require a loophole for something like "Attending server hangout at PAX", "Playing DnD", etc.

• AlfieLeePlayzAlfieLeePlayz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to change the "playing (game)" text on your profile to other selections for example;

- "Coding"
    - "Working on (text)"

or even custom ones

• CofresiCofresi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When playing Amiga Sensible World of Soccer online, there are rankings to see on what level a player is. It would be great if I could add this rank number to my status message in order to quickly find players who are on my level. Eg. ranking: "1008, 3 months playing".

• ProgramGamerProgramGamer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, as a game dev I'd like to be able to display "Working in Game Maker" rather than "Playing Game Maker". It would certainly look more professional.

And maybe a teensy bit pretentious. :^)

• KarlEKarlE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

note that currently "playing" is localized to each UI language (e.g. "spielt" for German), so you'd have to supply the alternative action words you want for all supported languages to allow Discord to stay consistent.

• TheBrowsTheBrows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OR:

-Have a customizable text status (google hangouts has a feature like this that would be a good example)
    --Then the options op mentioned such as "Having a party" "At lunchbreak" "Cooking pancakes" that don't relate to using a specific app could easily be done with a custom text status
    -Keep the optional playing status plus add some more prefixes that work with different types of apps besides games, such as "working with"/"using" (photoshop, ms paint, etc).

As funny as the status "Playing Photoshop" or "Playing Paint Tool SAI" kinda is, something like this would be nice

• RiversRivers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way Slack implemented this is perfect in all honesty, you can even include and Emoji that appear next to your name and when you hover over it in the chat feed it displays your status in a bubble

• jadjad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! Also, PLEASE let us be able to rename apps that are "Verified." Games like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive are too long to fit on the Playing thing and get cut off, and I can't even shorten it to fix that!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base