How can we improve Discord?

More status options than "Playing"

What I think would be cool is if we would be able to set our status to other things than just "playing *game*". So what I would like to see added is that when choosing your status (Online, Inactive, Do not disturb), there would be a drop down menu where you can choose things like "Cooking *food*, Watching *movie*, Having a *activity*. If no game is being played the choosen status would show instead of "playing game".

Here are some ideas that could be featured:

Cooking "pancakes"

Watching "Rouge One"

Having a "party"

At "lunchbreak"

Working with "After Effects"

Creating "games"

Looking to play "Battlefield 1"

This is what it could look like: http://imgur.com/a/0iSgh

9,479 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jabbathefrukt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

203 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • m31317015 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea is awesome since not everyone are playing games when they're using discord. Maybe they're chatting, or simply just working on some stuff together. That "Playing Google Chrome" or "Playing Visual Studio Code - Insider" status is just too old for us to see it as a joke, but rather a bug.

Discord, as advertised, can in some aspects, replace Skype. And yes it does have that function, but while we're working on stuff on Skype, we want others to know that we're working, or even watching videos instead of playing games.

Status option is important, and I think it's as simple as removing "Playing" in front, and only adds it when the app we launch is actually identified as a game.

• gabriel3786 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well, every time you're using google chrome or using word the discord shows like this:

Playing google chrome.

well, it's just a change where you can put it if it's an app, game or music player.

on the game setup screen will be apps and games.

when adding an app where the discord will show will have the option to put as app (using), game (playing), music player (listening in) or custom (example I am playing or doing things)

it's pretty sin.

• TigerYT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this was suggested December 30, 2016... its December 10, 2017. They probably wont add this but it is a great idea!

• Sir. Play-A-Lot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a status for watching youtube or netflix etc. would help people see of others are afk or just watching something online

• PrAtYuSh_OTOSAKa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how bout changing the playing thingy??
    instead of the the the main profile status?
    for eg. playing*___*
    the ability to change it into
    watching*___*

• Bre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along with having 'playing ____', there should be reading, listening to, browsing, and watching. There are other people on Discord that aren't necessarily gamers, and it could be really helpful. Also a place to add your own custom overlay, instead of having to write over a different app.

• Sense commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Turn ActivityTypes into a String, so we can customise ActivityTypes to suit our needs, for example, Moderation clients could have an ActivityType which goes something like this "Moderating In...."

• JSR_Gaming_x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is cool but I think it's easier to remove the prefix so the entire status is customizable. (Or maybe just the prefix is) then you can set one from streamer mode. Also I think it would be cool if you can select your status. You click your name on the bottom left and there's a dropdown of all your created status messages. It would also be cool if they were added to iOS.

• mvppy₆⁶₆ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well, I have seen BoobBot have its playing status as "Watching", how is this possible if Discord hasnt announced publicky u can do "watching" now, confused af

• Liggliluff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This won't work with translations. People aren't using "playing" the correct way either.

I suggest instead that a user can write a full custom message without "Playing", and only use the prefix when used with a game title.

• Nurcey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that the game activity option is only used for displaying the games you play but i think that it would be cool if there were more options like Watching, Reading, Learning, etc.

• ᵒᵇᵑᵒᵡ♣ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a "studying" or "training" option when showing what you are playing. As of now we can change what we are playing, but it would be kind of cool if it was "studying math" instead of "playing math"

• Goddess Hylia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AS you know whenever you play a game it's says "playing PUBG" or something but how about an option where you can change it from saying "Playing" to anything such as "Watching", "Recording" or just "Waiting" as this would allow people to tell people who look at them in a server if they are busy recording, wanna say if you are watching a series such as Stranger Things or simply just to express yourself

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base