How can we improve Discord?

More status options than "Playing"

What I think would be cool is if we would be able to set our status to other things than just "playing *game*". So what I would like to see added is that when choosing your status (Online, Inactive, Do not disturb), there would be a drop down menu where you can choose things like "Cooking *food*, Watching *movie*, Having a *activity*. If no game is being played the choosen status would show instead of "playing game".

Here are some ideas that could be featured:

Cooking "pancakes"

Watching "Rouge One"

Having a "party"

At "lunchbreak"

Working with "After Effects"

Creating "games"

Looking to play "Battlefield 1"

This is what it could look like: http://imgur.com/a/0iSgh

4,902 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JabbathefruktJabbathefrukt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

93 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ExpressExpress commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be interesting to see if you could use the IMDB and IGDB APIs etc too, link directly out to the external pages of the content where applicable/relevant.

• TurtleTurtle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeh I agree with ncortiz...
    And the status circle thingy should still be green.

• ncortizncortiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be better if instead of choosing a status from a dropdown menu you'd be able to write whatever you want as a status in a textbox.

• Seanm07i6Seanm07i6 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only for just showing what you're doing but this would be useful so I can set a "busy" status without needing to set do not disturb as sometimes I still want to be notified of messages but just let others know I am busy.

• KorrolatKorrolat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, having a feature to add your own prefix would be great possibly! Currently, I already use the generic playing one to show what I am working on, but it would always be epic to have more customisation!

• KorrolatKorrolat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, having a feature to add your own prefix would be great possibly! Currently, I use the generic playing ne to show what I am working on, but it would always be epic to have more customisation!

• seshormerow ⧉seshormerow ⧉ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You do realize that prefixes that are longer than playing would give the actual item practically zero space to be displayed unless someone opened your profile.

• AxiatincAxiatinc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think there should be a "Custom" option at the bottom so they can make their own. But then Discord runs it in a profanity filter to make sure it isn't anything vulgar or bad.

• ZeroKelvinKeyboardZeroKelvinKeyboard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really useful for non-gaming since many people already use the "playing" status for programs other than games. I'd be good if you could just set a custom status and have to option to make "playing xyz" overwrite it when you launch a program.

Sure, there's always the potential for abuse with custom status messages. Users could set nasty/inappropriate messages. However, it's already possible to do this anyway since you can set the title of a program to whatever you want. All that needs to happen there is a server setting or permission to disable statuses.

• SunSerpentSunSerpent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an interesting concept. It would certainly be nice to have a few more status options available, but people don't need to know exactly what you're doing at ever second of the day. I dislike the idea that discord be able to read specific information about what different programs are doing, like some people have suggested. I do however, like the idea of people being able to write their own status messages. This would allow a more specific(or broader) status if the user wants it, without tasking the dev team with hard-coding in many more options.

This would be a very easily-abused feature if people can create their own status messages. Undoubtedly, people would be putting inappropriate things in their status, and/or updating it with sooo many little things that no one cares/needs to know about that it would get annoying. To help prevent this, custom status messages could be disabled on a server to server basis. There could also be an option to blacklist/ report and blacklist certain status messages. These would be the inappropriate and/or completely unneeded ones.

• D3XD3X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be nice to have more "prefix" tags but why not even create our own ?

• DualBoxxDualBoxx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For thinks like At "Lunchbreak" it would be really nice for organized people that have limited time like developers or server owners to schedule that to symbolize they're busy.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base