How can we improve Discord?

[Discord Nitro] Make GIF autoplay

So we don't have to move cursor at profile

390 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Natsuki SubaruNatsuki Subaru shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TylerTyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd only support this if it includes an option to disable it. Speaking of which, an option to disable the GIFs altogether would be nice.

• eeskaatteeskaatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if it's a default auto play, please don't. other than that, an option to turn on autoplay or turn off is a good workaround.

• LW001LW001 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's forcing you to move your cursor over it so it doesn't use as much CPU.

• KetraKetra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably already been said, but I don't want this simply because I don't want lots of small movements distracting me on screen when I'm trying to read what people are typing

• IsekIsek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Settings option OK, but i personally dont want to see all the gif moving.

• PlasmaPlasma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There would be, AT MOST, 18/22 gifs playing at the same time, if everyone in the server was sending messages had a gif avatar. Thats quite literally nothing when compared to, say, a chrome tab. People really do have toasters, on/off would be fine I suppose, the more options the better.

• HappyHappy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To anyone who commented and sees this -

the CPU usage:
    - could be solved by only autoplaying the GIF avatar for their most recent message in each server. So if I am typing in say 4 servers, it only autoplays 1 in each, being the most recent message I sent.

And then it could only do it for the past 3 different people, so if 10 people type 1 message each and all have Nitro, it doesn't autoplay 10 gifs.

User Setting: Then make it a personal setting to never see them, always see them, or see them only on hover

Server Setting: And a server setting for the same things if a high density server wants to limit it and such.

• 2sBs2sBs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't load automatically to save on CPU usage, not because they can't. This is a design choice

• edgrenedgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I kinda hate when there's GIF's runs even if the pointer aren't on them. I'd say, add a option in settings that allows people whole want this to enable it.

• JakckkkkkJakckkkkk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the gif should at least play for the person that has it so you feel like you get something from supporting discord.Then other peoples can be turned off or on or maybe just play friends avatar gifs only?

• StewieFellowsStewieFellows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, but this should of course be optional, since some may prefer the greater performance when not autoplaying them.

• tpheccatphecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The purpose of the cursor hover is to prevent Discord from taking up too much resources. It takes up precious GPU/CPU cycles to render those hundreds of megabytes of GIF data which could be used to render a game. I think that it should be an option for everyone, but not enforced on Nitro nor regular users to have non-cursor-activated GIFs.

• Cameron BCameron B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ethereal Reaper I think you misunderstand. This refers to animated profile pictures, not just all gifs posted on a server.

• Ethereal ReaperEthereal Reaper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a terrible idea, the animations can often be distracting, and tbh, a lot of the time I don't want to look at the gifs being posted in very large servers. This feature would make it too easy to troll, and could also be a potential hazard to people who suffer from seizures.

• jeexzeejeexzee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bought nitro for GIF and to show that i care about them. And gif is treated like a picture instead of a GIF. and no one will ever look at your account too see that you support discord. And using a gif just looks wierd often if it issnt playing.

• MiyaMiya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i dont plan on touching nitro till this is fixed at least.

theres no point to have a animated avatar if it involves a cursor hovering over it

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base