How can we improve Discord?

[Discord Nitro] Make GIF autoplay

So we don't have to move cursor at profile

506 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Natsuki SubaruNatsuki Subaru shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HappyHappy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To anyone who commented and sees this -

the CPU usage:
    - could be solved by only autoplaying the GIF avatar for their most recent message in each server. So if I am typing in say 4 servers, it only autoplays 1 in each, being the most recent message I sent.

And then it could only do it for the past 3 different people, so if 10 people type 1 message each and all have Nitro, it doesn't autoplay 10 gifs.

User Setting: Then make it a personal setting to never see them, always see them, or see them only on hover

Server Setting: And a server setting for the same things if a high density server wants to limit it and such.

• 2sBs2sBs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It doesn't load automatically to save on CPU usage, not because they can't. This is a design choice

• edgrenedgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I kinda hate when there's GIF's runs even if the pointer aren't on them. I'd say, add a option in settings that allows people whole want this to enable it.

• JakckkkkkJakckkkkk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the gif should at least play for the person that has it so you feel like you get something from supporting discord.Then other peoples can be turned off or on or maybe just play friends avatar gifs only?

• StewieFellowsStewieFellows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, but this should of course be optional, since some may prefer the greater performance when not autoplaying them.

• tpheccatphecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The purpose of the cursor hover is to prevent Discord from taking up too much resources. It takes up precious GPU/CPU cycles to render those hundreds of megabytes of GIF data which could be used to render a game. I think that it should be an option for everyone, but not enforced on Nitro nor regular users to have non-cursor-activated GIFs.

• Cameron BCameron B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ethereal Reaper I think you misunderstand. This refers to animated profile pictures, not just all gifs posted on a server.

• Ethereal ReaperEthereal Reaper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a terrible idea, the animations can often be distracting, and tbh, a lot of the time I don't want to look at the gifs being posted in very large servers. This feature would make it too easy to troll, and could also be a potential hazard to people who suffer from seizures.

• jeexzeejeexzee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bought nitro for GIF and to show that i care about them. And gif is treated like a picture instead of a GIF. and no one will ever look at your account too see that you support discord. And using a gif just looks wierd often if it issnt playing.

• MiyaaMiyaa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i dont plan on touching nitro till this is fixed at least.

theres no point to have a animated avatar if it involves a cursor hovering over it

• LoganDarkLoganDark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

-1 discord doesn't play gifs automatically for a reason, it's on the features page

• KeavonKeavon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to see people's icons animated all the time. That would be distracting and ugly. I'm very glad Discord made the right decision to not animate by default.

• HappyHappy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just give people an option to toggle this off so they don't see other's autoplay.

Have it off by default but if you see annoying flashy ones then just change your personal setting so you don't see them autoplay. Win win.

@Anvh I would like to clarify that I stated "we just want to stand out as Discord supporters"

Its about standing out in the sense that we want to seem exemplary of true discord fans/supporters. If you stand out and seem "cool" it convinces more people to get Nitro. It is a correct business strategy for them to make nitro users stand out.

• AnvhAnvh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

-1 as well, sometimes my mouse hover over the text well typing and it is really distracting all that movement.

btw you are paying for Nitro to support discord, that's the whole purpose of it. If you buy it to stand out you bought it for the wrong reason.

At the moment i'm blocking people with annoying animated avatars, makes the chat a lot quieter.

• HenpemazHenpemaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

-1 No thanks, spare me of flashy troll profiles playing on my screen, thanks

@Sir None of the Nitro features are necessary. They are meant to be cool flair. That is why I suggested it auto-play by default. It makes you stand out vividly and makes you special. I don't care if it's easy to hover, the fact that people must know to hover makes it way less special. I would like to reinforce that the logic is not that we want the gifs to be watched intently, we just want to stand out as Discord supporters. I have had multiple occasions where people didn't notice until I mentioned it. If people have an issue with how it looks or performs there is a whole section in the setting called "appearance" where they can make a toggle.

• SirSir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I very much disagree with this. I don't want to auto-load gifs. I pay for Nitro even. It can be disappointing, but it's not hard to hover-over a gif. You don't need to see a gif 8,675,309 times to know what it is. It's still the same since the last time you hovered over it. Would it be cool? I guess. But very much not necessary. You can simply hover over the chat message and it plays. Simple. Also saves resources and makes screens not take away from the point: the chat. I would much more prefer another way of distinguishing Nitro users that don't take up screen real estate, such as maybe an optional colored border around Nitro users chat avatars, and similar to the BOT icon in the user list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base