How can we improve Discord?

Embedded MP3 Support

When someone sends an MP3 file over Discord, we should be given the option to preview it in the app before we download it, kinda similar to how images or YouTube videos are handled.

The preview would be a player with a play/pause button, scrub bar, audio control and download button.

I've created concept art to go along with this post: http://i.imgur.com/TkjXmRC.png

1,165 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LuminismLuminism shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • HelmicHelmic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Marshall, everyone knows you're downloading it to play the file. What would be nice is being able to play the file right from Discord.

• MarshallMarshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You know you have to download every file you want to play back, do you?

What you refer to regarding Youtube is "streaming" but that must be supported by the given file.

• MesHMesH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love support for more than one format! .wav would be a must!

• ∆•RYZ∆•RYZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be possible for both sending files as well as direct http links. As discord/electron utilizes chromium, most audio formats are already supported - just a matter of implementing the UI for it.

• DarvondDarvond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MP3s are bulky and compressed like jpegs. I'd much rather have embedded OOG files, which are typically not 4 megabytes for a simple 3 minute song, because OOG files are shrinkwrapped, removing the empty space between the waveform.

I give this idea half a vote. I'm not keen on MP3s, but the rest of it is cool.

• RyuRyu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could see linking an audio file in Discord allows you to have a preview interface that is music playing controls. Your Discord client allows you to play the music and thus the stream data is not going through Discord.

• HalfOfAKebabHalfOfAKebab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO, this would be somewhat useless since any music of decent quality will be over 8MB, meaning it can't be uploaded in the first place.

• tpheccatphecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The concept art looks cool, and it should also have a UI like that for ogg, m4a, flac, and other HTML5 formats, but also allow MP3.

• ExeckoExecko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be great to allow users to directly record and send audio messages in chat and then display them like this.

• HenpemazHenpemaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, embedding needs some more love on discord. Right now it forces you to download .mp3 .mp4 links of the sorts, while Youtube/soundcloud links can be embedded.

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of already-implemented embedding plugins for the Electron core that Discord uses.

• TreadNorthTreadNorth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will upvote this, but it should be low on the totem pole since discord is primarily communications.

• 3Rton3Rton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This but I think it should also support .flac and common formats.

Feedback and Knowledge Base