How can we improve Discord?

UI improvements (see picture)

Hello!
Here is some my suggestions about improvement of UI:
1. Make possible to minimize left panel
2. Put most of the right top corner buttons in one (with *NEW* marker):
2.1. Members list
2.2. Server notifications
2.3. Pinned messages (will be shown in right panel)
2.3. Mentions (will be shown in right panel)
2.4. Search (search field and search results will be shown in right panel also)
2.5. File upload history with option to show only own or all uploads

Here is UI prototype: https://vgy.me/lSuv9R.png

444 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Johnny WildJohnny Wild shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Throne3dThrone3d commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to minimize the left panel, at least the part of it showing the channels. As others have said, the UI is somewhat squished when using half of a 1080p monitor. (The members list can be collapsed, but it should be possible to collapse either / both sides, in case people prefer a wider chat window to having that information present.)

• AreAre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like this idea, it's bad use of the screen real estate. Keep this in the top line, I want to see as many members in Member List as possible.

• BaconBacon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love this idea, especially minimizing the left panel. I would be very happy even if only that was changed. Great design!

• InstantAli3nInstantAli3n commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

**REDUCE MARGINS**

Otherwise, Agreed! The mockup is almost perfect. 1080p users have a pretty badly squished chat when snapped to half screen. Even at 1440p I certainly wouldn't mind more space. Compact view actually creates a larger margin too.

• JampJamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like your Mock-Up! But should also be able to minimize all sides... Server, Channel, Online...

• FusionFusion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I quite like the interface how it is, I think the friends interface could be more integrated though.

• Johnny WildJohnny Wild commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@BinaryEnigma how do I can minimize the LEFT panel in desktop app? Also, there is hub in right panel where all listed existing and new features combined together.

• BinaryEnigmaBinaryEnigma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Right Panel IS Minimizeable, Its The Member List Button, And Everything Else Exists Besides Search(Being Implemented Soon), Minimizing The Left Panel(Exists On Mobile), And File Upload History(Not A Bad Idea)

Feedback and Knowledge Base