How can we improve Discord?

sarcasm font

An additional markdown to denote that a message is sarcastic. For example a section could be surrounded in dual question marks.
??Good game guys??
That portion of the message would then be printed in comic sans.
This would allow for much clearer communication of sarcasm over the written medium and reduce miscommunication. Similar to the way twitch uses kappa to denote sarcasm this would give discord a bit of it's own language that does not translate poorly to the outside world.

1,540 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Macdja38Macdja38 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • MelodiousAccordMelodiousAccord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

italics generally work just fine. I think there are other features are much more desperately needed than a special sarcasm font.

• SiilkSiilk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lime green bold comic sans is the only true sarcasm font. And yes, discord needs that badly.

• SireSire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for the system to recognize a sarcastic statement without input from the poster would be a rather large issue. many online translators miss slang terms, they also do not differentiate between normal text and sarcastic text. so have this as an automatic function is very likely not to work well.

so although this idea does have merit, it would likely need to adapt to that likely fact. sarcasm is as it is used, can be for nasty or pleasant outcome. if pleasant it can be very funny and we some times can not adjust and idea or discard it because it maybe used for a nasty purpose.

so this idea likely needs some way to the sarcasm to be picked out by the system such as /s as wundrweapon pointed out...but should be at the beginning. this /s {or other symbol} would tell the system that the following text is sarcasm and should then be automatically handled as such.

i have seen many arguments in a game i play start solely due to the fact some sarcasm is missed in a text form. this idea would effectively reduce that effect.

• 見鳥見鳥 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

people usually just use "/s" at the end of their sarcastic remark and everyone's happy

• steelsmitersteelsmiter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like a /sarcasm command that opened up a dialogue box with the following
    Literal message: Thing you said
    Intended meaning: some bullshit.

• DanBennettDanBennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You denote a sarcastic message already by typing it in italics. E.g. "Well that was a *good game*..." is obviously sarcacstic (words surrounded by astrix are italic).

There's no other way to do this with Markdown. And changing the font based on text isn't a good idea and can be abused or get quite buggy.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base