How can we improve Discord?

sarcasm font

An additional markdown to denote that a message is sarcastic. For example a section could be surrounded in dual question marks.
??Good game guys??
That portion of the message would then be printed in comic sans.
This would allow for much clearer communication of sarcasm over the written medium and reduce miscommunication. Similar to the way twitch uses kappa to denote sarcasm this would give discord a bit of it's own language that does not translate poorly to the outside world.

1,002 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Macdja38Macdja38 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • 見鳥見鳥 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

people usually just use "/s" at the end of their sarcastic remark and everyone's happy

• steelsmitersteelsmiter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like a /sarcasm command that opened up a dialogue box with the following
    Literal message: Thing you said
    Intended meaning: some bullshit.

• DanBennettDanBennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You denote a sarcastic message already by typing it in italics. E.g. "Well that was a *good game*..." is obviously sarcacstic (words surrounded by astrix are italic).

There's no other way to do this with Markdown. And changing the font based on text isn't a good idea and can be abused or get quite buggy.

• ELRinleyELRinley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Code - Alt-codes aren't gonna get widespread use no matter how much you spread the word. Try for a hardware solution to that, I'd like to see some ideas because I'm sick of these limited-ass boards we're stuck with.

All in all, Markdown is about the only way any kind of sarcasm marker is gonna wind up seeing widespread adoption.

• ELRinleyELRinley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

^stashy - it isn't that I need to give visual aid for most people to recognize my sarcasm, it's mainly for people who don't register sarcasm, especially through text. In that case, there's nothing you can do but try to make it clearer.

• wundrweaponwundrweapon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea, but for now, just end your statement with "/s" as that effectively means "end of sarcastic comment"

• FlamingFlowairFlamingFlowair commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea, but it should come with the ability to switch it on permanently.
    The irony mark could be good too !

• ^stashy^stashy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you need to give visual aid that you are sarcastic, please do not use sarcasm. Ever.

• Kuro UsagiKuro Usagi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

horrible idea for lazy people. use /s or don't be sarcastic when you can't pull it off without explaining the joke

• MeatyMeaty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd rather just use my kappa emote after a sarcastic sentence :)

• CodeCode commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I needed to voice a detailed opinion because I looked through the comments below and they are either very short sighted or just agreement without discussion.

Firstly: I do NOT think this idea should be implemented, but not for the reasons you think! (Sorry OP, no crap on you.)

What do I mean? Well first I want to establish that YES WE ABSOLUTELY need a way to differentiate sarcasm from normal statements, especially in our interconnected world. It is NOT stupid of someone to not understand someone else's sarcasm, especially if they are of a different language. Sarcasm on text can be difficult to understand, even for native speakers of the language! This causes some very unintended consequences, which I have experienced first hand, and some even causing very awkward or heated conversations when none was intended.

HOWEVER, there already exists a punctuation mark that can save us from these troubles, but no one ever knows about it or uses it!

⸮ - The Irony Punctuation Mark ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation )

Magnificent isn't it?

If only we started using it more often in our daily lives, we could start including people that have a hard time understanding their language either because it is 2nd to them or otherwise. How many misunderstood comments we could avoid! In fact, I have implemented an entire extra set of punctuation marks in my Discord server, available right from the main rules page. If was important for me to implement this on my community because it is international with a lot of various languages and backgrounds. I made them out of the emote feature Discord offers and labeled them with easy words like :sarcasm: or :authority:

Here are the examples: http://imgur.com/a/HX13U

Spread the word! Stop miscommunication, for the sake of ourselves and our foreign fellow gamers!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base