How can we improve Discord?

Emergency Lockdown

https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/15000105-allow-putting-invite-code-on-hold-lockdown-mode

While this suggestion is close to the one above, it's not exactly the same.

Basically, when the moderation menu comes out, there will be two buttons, "Emergency Mode" and "Lockdown Mode". I'll describe each below.

Emergency Mode will make the permissions for @everyone in ALL channels to false except for Read Messages. That would allow us to lockdown the server and not allow any messages to be sent until we get the situation figured out. This mode will also do all described in Lockdown Mode. Users with a "Chat During Emergency" permission will be able to join and chat in text/voice channels while emergency mode is running. Like the suggestion above, all invites will also be put into lockdown (non-joinable).

Lockdown Mode does less. It will do exactly what the suggestion above does, but everyone will be able to chat into an amount of set channels, for example, "Lockdown Channel: #lockdown, #news". Those will be the two channels available.

In each of these events, setting and editing of permissions for voice channels would not be available unless you have the Administrator permission. Not even manage channels would be able to manage the channels. The send_messages permission will not be able to be edited at all until the server is taken out of lockdown mode, which will then make everything back to the way it was.

Both of the modes will also block all users from joining, and will only allow users to leave (ban, kick, or simply leave). Bots can not do anything during lockdown mode unless it's in a channel that has the word "log" in the name.

515 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

FireController#1847FireController#1847 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • 4g0tt3nSou14g0tt3nSou1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A bot could be used to do this, with threat levels, and restricting based on said level. HOWEVER, integrating it directly wouldn't be a bad thing. IMHO, a lot of features that bots can do SHOULD BE INTERGRATED AS FEATURES!

• UnicornsOnLSDUnicornsOnLSD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A bot could possibly be made for this. I'm no coder but I'm pretty sure that you can change permissions with bots.

• the onethe one commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep. Great. I would love to lockdown my server when people are spreading idiotic rumours making the server crazy

• GlitchmasterGlitchmaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! I have servers that have problems with troublemakers and alts, and this would be very useful.

• ThrowawayTacticianThrowawayTactician commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This reminds me of the IRC channel mode which makes it so that only admins, mods, and people with voice can chat. Surprised it's not already added. I feel Discord's first priority should be adding all the features that made IRC so great.

• FireController#1847FireController#1847 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@HalfOfAKebab It's not that simple. You can still ban people, but it takes time. Using this feature would deny any further bots from joining and stop them from sending messages immediately.

Also, not everyone on Discord is that smart...

• HalfOfAKebabHalfOfAKebab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What? Why? Lol. Just ban raiders, and enable the chat verification (for 10 mins, or verified email, either one).

• ASIANBOIASIANBOI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a good idea, with some adjustments. Anyone with Administrator would be able to trigger the mode, but only the server owner or the person who initiated it should be able to stop it.

Also, the mode should be completely customizable, and you should be able to setup a manual verification system for allowing new members into the server as well as have the server PM people a specified message when the server is in either mode.

Overall, this is a good idea, and I support it.

• FireController#1847FireController#1847 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but it has ratelimites and for large servers it could be bad. Bots can be compromised, while Discord has much better protection. (Not saying the bot doesn't, but it's possible). Also, bots are not the strongest most easiest to set up. While your bot has =panicmode, you also have to give it administrator which a LOT of servers don't like to do. I wanted to make a panic mode bot, and if I didn't think this would be better than a bot I wouldn't have suggested it. I understand your issue with it defeating the purpose of some bots, but then we can make bots focus on creating unique and fun things instead of management for when your server gets attacked.

• Silicon ValleySilicon Valley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can easily be accomplished with bots. There are already bots on discord that have this type of feature to some extent, all you need to do is give them the "administrator" permission.

• LARAUJOLARAUJO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this will definitely prove to be a useful tool in discord if it gets added.
    there have been at least 20 times when some asshole does something that completely screws over the server, and then the staff (me being one of them during a few of these times) needs to figure out who wrecked everything and has to spend an hour or so fixing the problem
    it would also help if when any major change happens (channels getting deleted, everyone's permissions getting changed, bans or kicks, etc) a bot keeps track of who did it and when

• ͜Kινετικblue͜Kινετικblue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe there should be a "set a server to private" function that adds a 5th tier to the verification level. Essentially when the server is in this mode, no one can join the server; locking out all users whom have clicked a join link and putting them on kind of a waiting list. In a waiting list the users whom join may only fully join when the owner or admins allow them.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base