How can we improve Discord?

Emergency Lockdown

https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/15000105-allow-putting-invite-code-on-hold-lockdown-mode

While this suggestion is close to the one above, it's not exactly the same.

Basically, when the moderation menu comes out, there will be two buttons, "Emergency Mode" and "Lockdown Mode". I'll describe each below.

Emergency Mode will make the permissions for @everyone in ALL channels to false except for Read Messages. That would allow us to lockdown the server and not allow any messages to be sent until we get the situation figured out. This mode will also do all described in Lockdown Mode. Users with a "Chat During Emergency" permission will be able to join and chat in text/voice channels while emergency mode is running. Like the suggestion above, all invites will also be put into lockdown (non-joinable).

Lockdown Mode does less. It will do exactly what the suggestion above does, but everyone will be able to chat into an amount of set channels, for example, "Lockdown Channel: #lockdown, #news". Those will be the two channels available.

In each of these events, setting and editing of permissions for voice channels would not be available unless you have the Administrator permission. Not even manage channels would be able to manage the channels. The send_messages permission will not be able to be edited at all until the server is taken out of lockdown mode, which will then make everything back to the way it was.

Both of the modes will also block all users from joining, and will only allow users to leave (ban, kick, or simply leave). Bots can not do anything during lockdown mode unless it's in a channel that has the word "log" in the name.

758 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

FireController#1847FireController#1847 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ForeverPieForeverPie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. However, I think emergency should be nobody coming or going, so if the problematic person is on in emergency, insta ban without the coward ditching. Also, Lockdown should be the same but people can use text only on all channels and voice channels are disabled. Great idea anyway, perfect for repelling ISIS, +1 from me!

• আলোপাশআলোপাশ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Bot part would be hard for the developers because if they were to put the "Lockdown Mode" option, Bot developers would have to code their bot again just for the "log" channels and I think there's a set of rules you have to follow when you code a bot and release to the public so, Discord would have to revise these rules and add the rule. Plus if the bot and/or developer doesn't follow this rule, your favorite bot would have to be removed.

Amazing idea though. But it would be better to have reasons toward your Guild is a situation when this would happen.

• Awkward JadenAwkward Jaden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this will definitely be something we'll need. After recent events on my server (a raid) these two modes would be very helpful.

• PjosipPjosip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@timmyR$ it happened more than a few times before Discord Developers server changed to a stricter ruleset. A big/controversial thing would happen and a whole chat simply explodes and becomes unusable. Being able to easily put the chat on slow mode or lock it out entirely until people calm down would be very useful, seeing how the latter happened on the Discord Developers server.

• timmyRStimmyRS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see in which normal case you would say your Discord Guild is "in an emergency-situation"

• Xander0311Xander0311 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this idea!

As someone mentioned before, it would work great like +v in IRC so that community members can continue to talk in the middle of a raid. I've seen both good raids (ie, popular twitter account posts private link in good faith) and bad ones. (/r/place raiding from uncooth groups.)

We can setup manual +v roles or have bots hand them out, but it would greatly help in the event a lockdown needs to happen.

• 4g0tt3nSou14g0tt3nSou1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A bot could be used to do this, with threat levels, and restricting based on said level. HOWEVER, integrating it directly wouldn't be a bad thing. IMHO, a lot of features that bots can do SHOULD BE INTERGRATED AS FEATURES!

• UnicornsOnLSDUnicornsOnLSD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A bot could possibly be made for this. I'm no coder but I'm pretty sure that you can change permissions with bots.

• the onethe one commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep. Great. I would love to lockdown my server when people are spreading idiotic rumours making the server crazy

• GlitchmasterGlitchmaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! I have servers that have problems with troublemakers and alts, and this would be very useful.

• ThrowawayTacticianThrowawayTactician commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This reminds me of the IRC channel mode which makes it so that only admins, mods, and people with voice can chat. Surprised it's not already added. I feel Discord's first priority should be adding all the features that made IRC so great.

• FireController#1847FireController#1847 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@HalfOfAKebab It's not that simple. You can still ban people, but it takes time. Using this feature would deny any further bots from joining and stop them from sending messages immediately.

Also, not everyone on Discord is that smart...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base