How can we improve Discord?

Simplified and Advanced Role/Hierarchy

Hello Everyone!

I know it's been brought up many times about a new Hierarchy for Discord Servers and I know some of them have been kicked back by the devs cause it will make things confusing for people. This I do understand having an extensive background in IT, you always want what is easiest for an end user. This is why I am suggesting have a "Simplified" and "Advanced" permissions menu for roles.

In "Simplifed" setup the permissions for roles and the hierarchy would stay the exact same, whatever is above another role can assign the one below it. That's fantastic for new server admins or for people running a small server that don't need much.

For the "Advanced" option it would be nice to have a more extensive hierarchy. Let's think about a pyramid. At the top point you would have your server admin, below that you could branch off and create multiple roles that can only be assigned by that admin. Let's say you run and alliance of multiple guilds, under the server admin you create two new roles. For the first role you create East Leaders and the second West Leaders. Now in the simplified version one of these roles would have power over the other bum in the advanced role setup they would have the same powers and can't change one or the others permissions. Now each of these two new roles can create their own roles underneath them without them being able to mess with the other ones roles or permissions for those roles. This would make a great addition for Discord with people who have multiple guilds or something in one server.

I am the owner of multiple Discord Servers and I really enjoy this app it is fantastic but we need some more permissions as I described above. Once of my servers is made up of six guilds each containing 100 members. Unfortunately the way the permission system is now there is always one role that has power over the other and it shouldn't, but there isn't anything I can do about that with the current role hierarchy system. A leader of one guild can assign another member to a different leader position that is underneath them, same with the officers. I understand I can take away the assign role position but I can't be online all the time to assign roles nor do I know exactly what guild each person belongs. Having a more extensive hierarchy would alleviate this issue and I could have Leaders of a guild only be able to assign certain roles (example: Leader1 can assign role to Officer1 and Member1 and Officer1 can only assign to Member1 and not the other roles in the list).

Hopefully this post makes sense to everyone and this can be implemented to make things much easier for those of us running a server with a lot of different guilds or people. If it doesn't make sense I'll be more than happy to draw up a diagram on the hierarchy.

Thanks for reading and voting!

1,327 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lazurick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1, just something where a commander of a regiment can give their regiment's member role but not other regiment's member roles. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to implement

• PaffaLon™ 🎷 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, a hierarchy for the permission system where it's possible to assign the authority level of a role would make it much easier to maintain the purpose of the roles and privileges of the role.

A roles authority level could be represented by a number of the scale of 1-100 where the higher number has the grater power. For this to work properly, a role can not edit another role with less or equal authority level.

The authority level always has to be higher, to have the rights to edit another role.

In the below example a role with less then or equal authority level can not edit these roles. The authority always has to be grater in order to have the authority to edit another role.
    Example:
    Admin - authority level 20
    Moderator - authority level 19
    Guild Leader - authority level 10
    Team Leader - authority level 10
    Party Leader - authority level 9
    Raider - authority level 5
    Traider - authority level 5
    Healer - authority level 5

With a hierarchy that works like this. Server admins & moderators can be very pressies with the name of different roles. With out having to about some roles having more authority then they need over other roles.

• GHXX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The simple permission system (the one we got now) is fairly good for small to medium servers, you can do some things using bots, but when the server keeps on growing you will reach a point where many things just aren't possible. It doesn't have to be as complicated as Teamspeak's. But it should allow for complex settings while not being very complicated.

Another feature that could be tied into this would be to only allow certain people, or everyone, to mention this role. This could be used to have a notification role that only moderators and admins can mention. You can get around this issue by going to the role settings, turning on the "This role can be mentioned by anyone", posting your message and then switching it off again. But thats just very impractical.

• joshua commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with this, as I have roles on my discord server where users have move permission, but they can literally move anyone now. I'd prefer it to be only able to move roles underthem, kidna like how the Manage Roles is.

• stylemistake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Current permission system is way too generic, and at times completely unintuitive, especially with "Manage roles": you can't directly specify which roles manage which, and they can even manage roles above them.

As it's said, simplicity is worse than robbery.

• JacenBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've said this on various other ideas like this, but I feel like Discord's permissions system is way too general. This would be a fantastic solution to that.

• Salsa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord seems to hate the idea of allowing each and every role to have an optional individual list of roles that it can and cannot assign (checkbox style). Or even keep the hierarchy and just include a "Forbidden List" - roles that cannot be assigned by others no matter what.

Even though that alone would fix the issue completely, just like it DOES fix when you think of Patreon and Twitch bots that assign roles automatically and those roles become off limits to every other member (even the admin).

• Chandni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, pretty pretty please! We run into that in our server all the time that people get the colour because the role is higher than the other in the list but they actually want the other colour. That would be fantastic to be able to choose from!

• Dee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, with the role hierarchy in place, I couldn't really choose what I want as my displayed role. It would be better if the SERVER OWNER/ADMINS can choose what role you mainly display, while retaining all other roles, and have our names be in that colour!

• Tarentules commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, i think having the option for a "simple" or "advanced" version would be great!

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree we have a discord server with alot of roles opening new chatrooms but there is also a veteran role which you get by hanging in there alot. It would be really great if you could choose your own color form the roles you have earned.

There is already an option to see the roles of people when your right click, for giving people roles when you are op but you can still see that without op roles.

Also this can be an option for server owners. If they want everything organized they can check it off, but if they want freedom they can check it.

• ShadeYuki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rather than allowing people to choose their own colors from anything, allow them to choose the color they want from all of the roles they have.

Example: Somebody has a Blue Role, a Red Role, and a Green Role, and the Red one is at the very top. However, if someone has the Red and Green role, but want to be Green. Give them a setting that lets them choose between Red and Green.

• Otis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Temporary solution: make a "Leader" role for all leaders and then put other roles below that. This way at least all Leaders have equal access to other Leaders.

• Sayella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking if we will move our community to discord - Hierarchy is one of the things preventing us to make the move.

We have a multi game community and we would need a feature where we can make leaders or officers of all games equals while still naming them according to the game they play. (Leader Game one, who can name Officer Game one, but not leader game two, who can manage Officer game two, etc.)

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base