How can we improve Discord?

Simplified and Advanced Role/Hierarchy

Hello Everyone!

I know it's been brought up many times about a new Hierarchy for Discord Servers and I know some of them have been kicked back by the devs cause it will make things confusing for people. This I do understand having an extensive background in IT, you always want what is easiest for an end user. This is why I am suggesting have a "Simplified" and "Advanced" permissions menu for roles.

In "Simplifed" setup the permissions for roles and the hierarchy would stay the exact same, whatever is above another role can assign the one below it. That's fantastic for new server admins or for people running a small server that don't need much.

For the "Advanced" option it would be nice to have a more extensive hierarchy. Let's think about a pyramid. At the top point you would have your server admin, below that you could branch off and create multiple roles that can only be assigned by that admin. Let's say you run and alliance of multiple guilds, under the server admin you create two new roles. For the first role you create East Leaders and the second West Leaders. Now in the simplified version one of these roles would have power over the other bum in the advanced role setup they would have the same powers and can't change one or the others permissions. Now each of these two new roles can create their own roles underneath them without them being able to mess with the other ones roles or permissions for those roles. This would make a great addition for Discord with people who have multiple guilds or something in one server.

I am the owner of multiple Discord Servers and I really enjoy this app it is fantastic but we need some more permissions as I described above. Once of my servers is made up of six guilds each containing 100 members. Unfortunately the way the permission system is now there is always one role that has power over the other and it shouldn't, but there isn't anything I can do about that with the current role hierarchy system. A leader of one guild can assign another member to a different leader position that is underneath them, same with the officers. I understand I can take away the assign role position but I can't be online all the time to assign roles nor do I know exactly what guild each person belongs. Having a more extensive hierarchy would alleviate this issue and I could have Leaders of a guild only be able to assign certain roles (example: Leader1 can assign role to Officer1 and Member1 and Officer1 can only assign to Member1 and not the other roles in the list).

Hopefully this post makes sense to everyone and this can be implemented to make things much easier for those of us running a server with a lot of different guilds or people. If it doesn't make sense I'll be more than happy to draw up a diagram on the hierarchy.

Thanks for reading and voting!

1,054 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LazurickLazurick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JacenBoyJacenBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've said this on various other ideas like this, but I feel like Discord's permissions system is way too general. This would be a fantastic solution to that.

• Salsa Salsa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord seems to hate the idea of allowing each and every role to have an optional individual list of roles that it can and cannot assign (checkbox style). Or even keep the hierarchy and just include a "Forbidden List" - roles that cannot be assigned by others no matter what.

Even though that alone would fix the issue completely, just like it DOES fix when you think of Patreon and Twitch bots that assign roles automatically and those roles become off limits to every other member (even the admin).

• TarentulesTarentules commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, i think having the option for a "simple" or "advanced" version would be great!

• OtisOtis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Temporary solution: make a "Leader" role for all leaders and then put other roles below that. This way at least all Leaders have equal access to other Leaders.

• SayellaSayella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are looking if we will move our community to discord - Hierarchy is one of the things preventing us to make the move.

We have a multi game community and we would need a feature where we can make leaders or officers of all games equals while still naming them according to the game they play. (Leader Game one, who can name Officer Game one, but not leader game two, who can manage Officer game two, etc.)

• LeyheartLeyheart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of my most favorite suggestions I've seen. This is something I've been wanting since early last year and am still wanting. Plus, it's finely written and explains exactly what you want.

• ShayShay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Heres another idea that would fit with this,
    The permission "Manage Roles" should have + button under it, and by default with nothing in the list, is in whitelist all under the role, like a ladder. but when you add one or more other roles to the list, it switches to whitelist those roles, so any role in that list can be given/taken to/from other people in those roles and below that role, so you can make a role, give it a sub-role and only allow that role to give/take that one role, instead of every role below it. Ex. NSFW and NSFW-Admin, giving NSFW-Admin the permission to give others NSFW but not any other role below it

• ShentinoShentino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So yeah, the basic implentation detail seems to be:

Allow a given role to have a specific "parent" role, and allow roles to have "multiple children".

Implementation wise that simple abstraction will then flag any role with 'siblings" as the head of a separate subpyramid.

The "totem pole rung" security check then turns into a simple trace of the "parent link" chain...where "null" simply means the role has no parent and sits at the top of the pyramid forest.

• ShentinoShentino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's a few examples:

A company made up of multiple departments, where bosses from one department shouldn't have authority over minions in another department.

A roleplay server with distinct kingdoms or domains where one nation's nobles or government officials should have authority only over subordinate officials in their kingdom, but not officials in other kingdoms.

So, each role could be the apex of one or more pyramids, and each pyramid can have one or more layers...some of which could well fork off into subpyramids.

Suggested implementation:

Each role could have a designated "parent role" that determines which role is above it in the "totem pole" mechanism that keeps lower rungs from screwing with higher rungs. Any role with conflicting ancestry with another role does not possess authority over that role or its subordinate roles.

If you delete a role that has child roles...possibly disallow the dleetion, or cause the orphaned children to be inherited by the deleted role's parents.

Management UI suggestions:

Keep the "totem pole" interface, but allow different "branches" of the totem pole to be switched in and rotated left/right as needed if the role in question is designated as a "pyramid apex" or whatever. Internally, any role whose parent has multiple direct children could be evaluated as an "apex".

• NyliusNylius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something we desperately need. This could prove useful especially for big servers with a planned complex hierarchy. I totally need this.

• 0111011101110111 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this, i've been pretty limited recently with my roles. one must be careful.... as a previous owner of another guild accidentally set everyone with the "Administrator" perm. LOL.

this seems very helpful.

• 4g0tt3nSou14g0tt3nSou1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be godsent for splitting different types of staff within a community, such as server staff, global staff, development staff, and executives!!!

I've run several communities, and have been part of many, this kind of distinction helps majorly with staff-related issues

• ♡♡ Exabyte ♡♡♡♡ Exabyte ♡♡ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be insanely helpful for having different sectors of moderators, like my server just had implimented, that way no other mod sector has power over the other, and we could also give the mods custom colored roles without them being able to have the higher power

• TreiskaidekaTreiskaideka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to add for the simplified version, that a Admin and Mod preset in permissions would be really helpful for first-timers that are new to setting up permissions. That way, one could set up a decently structured discord really quickly and would have a good example on how one could do that.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base