How can we improve Discord?

We need Karaoke with microphone effects, and audio adapter streaming NOW!

WHAT THIS GUY JUST SAYS... BUT BETTER...

Hey guys, if you got a couple minutes, please hear me out!

So, I come from a not-too-far-off app called Raidcall. As you may know, Raidcall's US servers shut down and is now primarily hosted in Russia. Since then, I found plenty of reason to comfortably move to Discord with the rest of my friends. To be perfectly honest, Discord has pretty much everything that made Raidcall awesome to me-- but there's just one thing that made Raidcall awesome that pretty much nobody else did:

Music Mode. Raidcall had a simple button that makes your playback output come through your microphone input. This allowed for people to play music in separate channels for others to listen to. Thanks to this feature, I've participated in groups that had: study rooms with relaxing music, DJ-style channels with somebody mixing live for dozens of people, BYOM channels where people take turns playing music (thanks to a queue mode system) and last but certainly not least-- Karaoke rooms. With the combination of in-client reverb, Raidcall was the number one place to experience free online Karaoke with large groups of friends and/or strangers. I've met and had fun with a lot of fantastic people thanks to this functionality.

So yeah, my suggestion is to bring something like the Music Mode button from Raidcall, to Discord. It would be another tool for users to enjoy and further enhance their Discord experience. Think of people doing online Dungeons & Dragons-- using this feature for environmental tracks or battle music. Or game shows for playing jeopardy music, or buzzers, or applause. The possibilities could be endless! I think it would be a great addition to your desktop app :)

So what do you think? I wouldn't be surprised if this was already suggested, or maybe some thinking was already made on the possibility. Either way, I think it would be great, and would personally complete my experience here on Discord.

Thanks for hearing me out, whoever's reading this!

1,324 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matelinux (Rafael)Matelinux (Rafael) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

171 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • LyncoLynco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the below comment about permissions. That would help a lot with spam.

• speedstylespeedstyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If not abused, a great feature. To prevent abuse, it could be added as a permission for specific roles.

Another option would be to have the two in separate channels. Next to the mute buttons for each user could be a music or sound button, so you could choose whether to listen to their voice and PC audio, or only to their voice.

• PasteyuriPasteyuri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What your talking about is more of a luxury rather than a tool that will help users or make their experience more enjoyable through Discords personable interface.

I think this type of entertainment aspect would be amazing to add to Discord after it becomes more optimized and after it adds more features.

In the meantime i suggest you get a sound bot for your channel.

• Hi Im VINKHi Im VINK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very annoying for everyone on the discord. you should create a separate music bot for your discord instead. Just share the music bot with your friends and let them host it. The reason i don't like this idea, is because i won't be able to mute someone without muting his actual voice. Or would it act as a separate user, because then i'm fine with it. :D

• SUMemeLordSUMemeLord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can get easily abused if permissions aren't set right. In addition to this there are already many free bots that allow you to play music from many sources.

• SKKIUSKKIU commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And we maybe need 2 options for that mode!
    1 for mix all computer sound (what you listening..other people listen that too.. like your windows effects sound for error..gunfire sound for some game..)

and other one is for music software support..this will only mix/output sounds in that software playing..like spotify, foobar2000

so~ we can teaching people with sounds when screensharing coming up .
    and we can Karaoke with Music accompaniment and no other sounds will affect us / mix in that music

sorry for my poor english.

• manskoumanskou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should also be implemented to the permission system. Yeah ofc someone can use 3rd party software to send system sounds through a "virtual mic" and bypass this, but in all honesty I don't think ppl will actually care that much to bypass it.

• PjosipPjosip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Skype recently added "share system sound" option to let others hear what you hear, it's very useful when screensharing.

Ability to right click on yourself (or any other form of turning it on) after joining a channel or private call and share system audio (possibly without other people's voices?) would be a nice addition to the usability and experience!

As for "I don't want a scrub spamming shit down the mic" comments.. well that's what the mute feature is for, regardless if it's music or unintelligent screeching.

This feature will also work very well in combination with screenshearing when it gets implemented.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base