How can we improve Discord?

A new "video" channel type, for server-wide video share

We have voice channels, text channels, DM Channels, and Group DM's.

Video is coming to discord, to DM channels, to Group DM channels, but not to servers.

If servers had "Video" channels with their own permissions like, "connect to channel", "send video", "send audio", "view video", "hear audio", etc, that would be so useful.

Think of the possibilities, bots can play videos and everyone can watch them, bots can control what plays.

We could have stats channels, like say a tournament is being ran, you could make a bot live show the tournament/game, with stats, information, just like watching a real tournament.

We could have "video announcements," like a bot just scrolling through news and stuff constantly, on a loop.

and so many many many many many many many many more possibility, it could change communities on Discord forever. (ex NGNL and other Discords).

If you have any other "ideas" that could happen if we had such a thing, please do share it below.

If you agree! PLEASE UPVOTE! LETS MAKE DISCORD BETTER THAN ANY CHAT APP THAT EXISTS!

3,461 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

bin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

181 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jedd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't there be a video channel with a 10 person limit and automatic AFK? Wouldn't that solve any bandwidth issues (being the same as a group DM)?

Alternatively, couldn't the be a video "channel" that just opens a group DM between everyone whom clicks on it (up to 10 people)?

• *Pabs* commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So there are 2 types of channels at the moment that you can have on your discord server. The New video chat works very well, do you reckon you can make a Video Channel? So that i dont have to make a seperate group chat/call with my friends, so we can all stay on the same server?

I think this would be very useful, you could see who is in the video call etc. Thanks

• WoS_XxPriestxX_WoS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see the feature to screenshare to a certain channel on a server. If you have a popular discord server people can come and watch what you are sharing or not. This would open more choice.

• wakkowarner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an option to make a video chat call to a server and not just a group chat. This could help people with video calls since the maximum number of people that can be put into a group chat is 10.

• NiLFz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I liked the simplicity of just joining a voice channel or text channel to communicate with others and I think screenshare/video chat should just also be that simple. Rather than making a group in the DMs and screenshare/video call from there. So I propose there be a screenshare/video channel with the option of also being a text channel or voice chat, or even all of them together when creating the channel.

• UnitedSlayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord has added discord calls in DMs but not in Discord Groups.
    I am not saying add a call all button but something like a voice chat for video.
    My idea would be is have a channel where people could join (With like a max of 10 people so it doesn't load heavy on Discord) and talk on the server. The reason this would be useful is because it would (hopefully) allow music bots or bots in and play sound, and allow the use of bots in chat.
    The reason Why I think this would be useful is because, me and a group of friends want to video call although some of us don't talk, so we talk instead

• Vezerlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought it would be a good idea to add another channel type for servers called Video Channel, and basically you would be able to video chat from a Discord server chat. It would be similar to Voice Chat, but with video instead of just voice. Thank you for reading.

• camgoucher123 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, but that would use more memory for Discord and they'd have to pay more, and with net neutrality ending, this wont be good. But I would like to see this

• BaxFloyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we get screenshare capabilities for in server voice channels? Every time I want to share I have to make a new group dm and that's a bit annoying, it would also allow for more people to see someone's screen at once.

• Averèl Warwolf Von Bismarck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

J'ai penser qu'il serait utile d'avoir un chat vidéo bâtie un peu comme celui du vocal. On s'y connecterait en cliquant tout simplement sur le chat comme on le fait déjà pour le vocal. Ensuite mettons que nous voulions voir qu'une seul personne (webcam) ou l'écran d'une seul personne (en partage d’écran) connecter a ce chat. Il suffirait de cliquer sur son icone, la même qui apparaît déjà pour montrer quand on est connecter a un chat vocal puis de cliquer sur "voir cette personne" ou "voir l’écran de cette personne". Si on veut voir plus de personne, on répète l’opération ou on clique sur " voir toute les personne". Le vocal serait en parallèle ou directement intégré.

• Thomasr3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a solution where maybe 3-5 videos/screenshares can be viewed at the same time in a voice channel would be enough.

You could either do "video push-to-talk" where one person who really needs to be on screen can jump in with their camera feed or screen share. Or a channel admin can assign people to be on camera or to share their screen while the others can chat via voice or keyboard.

• jtpjr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of initiating a call every-time you want to share screens or webcams with one another, why not just have a voice channel in a server dedicated to both voice and video? This would make it easier on the end user so that they can just join a different channel for screen sharing/webcam instead of initiating a new call when the end users are already in a discord server together? For resource utilization, have a cap on the max users at whatever you deem best to keep the service running smoothly. Also, maybe some prime features such as guaranteed metrics (resolution)?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base