How can we improve Discord?

A new "video" channel type, for server-wide video share

We have voice channels, text channels, DM Channels, and Group DM's.

Video is coming to discord, to DM channels, to Group DM channels, but not to servers.

If servers had "Video" channels with their own permissions like, "connect to channel", "send video", "send audio", "view video", "hear audio", etc, that would be so useful.

Think of the possibilities, bots can play videos and everyone can watch them, bots can control what plays.

We could have stats channels, like say a tournament is being ran, you could make a bot live show the tournament/game, with stats, information, just like watching a real tournament.

We could have "video announcements," like a bot just scrolling through news and stuff constantly, on a loop.

and so many many many many many many many many more possibility, it could change communities on Discord forever. (ex NGNL and other Discords).

If you have any other "ideas" that could happen if we had such a thing, please do share it below.

If you agree! PLEASE UPVOTE! LETS MAKE DISCORD BETTER THAN ANY CHAT APP THAT EXISTS!

1,523 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

binbin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

78 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Panossa(YT)Panossa(YT) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can feel the servers of Discord breaking under those people who try to host their <whatever> to 100+ users on the same time.

• TheGamingNewfTheGamingNewf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if this was implemented, when the sub-channels drop and get released, you could have channels with a max of 5 people per channel, and maybe have a bot that would share it across channels.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• SJSJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just don't see this anytime soon. It's a good concept but I don't think it's going to work on Discord as there is a bandwidth limit on how many people can be in a video call and the decreases at ther five on video call mark . Video calls will not be coming to servers anytime soon purely because of that.

Unless Discord creates a function that limits how many can be in an active video call on a server. The only way I could see it happening is by entering a designated voice channel that set in that channel permissions an option to allows video chat with with a min/max limit of those who can use the function. Once video limit maxes out you are defaulted to being able able to use mic functions.

Here are some mock ups:

https://pasteboard.co/GIXpDx9.png
    https://pasteboard.co/GIXq1Sj.png

I think the idea for server video chat implementation is a long way off and we are still in beta with private group video calls.

What I do see happening is that voice channels will start being less used as more will start using video calls in Discord as a replacement for Skyping thus making servers least important.

• naviceironaviceiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it should not be very difficult to implement, simply a screen as if it were a YouTube link and in this case one would broadcast and those who wanted it would receive it. Limiting connections based on the capacity of the sender, would be like making a call and at the same time remain connected on the server.

• ZalphyxZalphyx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea is good, but you have to limit the usage of this, like "Only one video channel per Server" and/or a time limitation

• FrostyFrosty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we can share out thought together here join my server lets plan things for Discord together. Moreover I like this idea. Nevertheless; I am looking for a special TEAM to work out something new for Discord. Join my Discord and lets plan together for Discord. (Updates)

Discord: https://discord.gg/YnS7YA9

• KieranKieran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you go on to a server there are the Text channels at the top right of the screen and then under them, there are the Voice channels I think it would be good if you can add like video channels underneath the Voice channels, as I think this would make more use of off some of the channels as a lot of people will have to add each other to a call just to video call where as if video call was made into channels as well Discord servers would not lose people
    Thankyou
    Kieran

• DanielWS424-TTSDanielWS424-TTS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvoted. Though it would only work with small servers, with a hard limit to how many members can join a video channel.

• OGNovuhOGNovuh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, I don't believe it's planned to have VC/SS in guilds. That could possibly put a lot of stress on Discord's servers, and I don't think they really want that.

• Tiny Man 360Tiny Man 360 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will video chat be available in Discord servers and not just private groups and DMs? If not, I feel like that would be a nice addition, with separate video call channels in discord servers with a maximum of 10 people, like the already set limit.

• AdhocAdhoc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a small server that's mostly friends (~30 people), currently it's easy for someone to see that a group of us are playing a game and can hop in the voice channel and join up and that's great.

But with screen share/video we have to leave the server and join private calls. It hides us from each other and is kind of anti social. It would be great to have a video/screen share channel that is open for people on the server to join.

• NulleeetNulleeet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have this video calls(well, it would not be call anymore... :D) on servers. Like, own channel and anyone from the server could join there if they want, and add limit to there also, 'cos it would jam the servers probably... Also, for video/cam channel, you could do roles ofcz and so on, like in other channels/rooms. Coz, like in our group of friends, now our server would be useless...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base