How can we improve Discord?

A new "video" channel type, for server-wide video share

We have voice channels, text channels, DM Channels, and Group DM's.

Video is coming to discord, to DM channels, to Group DM channels, but not to servers.

If servers had "Video" channels with their own permissions like, "connect to channel", "send video", "send audio", "view video", "hear audio", etc, that would be so useful.

Think of the possibilities, bots can play videos and everyone can watch them, bots can control what plays.

We could have stats channels, like say a tournament is being ran, you could make a bot live show the tournament/game, with stats, information, just like watching a real tournament.

We could have "video announcements," like a bot just scrolling through news and stuff constantly, on a loop.

and so many many many many many many many many more possibility, it could change communities on Discord forever. (ex NGNL and other Discords).

If you have any other "ideas" that could happen if we had such a thing, please do share it below.

If you agree! PLEASE UPVOTE! LETS MAKE DISCORD BETTER THAN ANY CHAT APP THAT EXISTS!

4,458 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

bin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

275 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • dropbeararmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good if this utilises opt-in when connecting to the channel, i.e. it doesn't automatically screen share until the channel member specifies it to.

• Zerm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys, I think the idea of a "video voice channel" would be a great idea. Here's how I think it should work. There should most likely be a limit to the amount of users who can connect do to bandwith and connection issues so i would say 10-15 members per channel. Next I think when you click to connect to the video channel that it would open a new UI window where you can see who connected. It should definitely be minimizable and closable but it even then you won't really have to since your awkwardly staring at each other XD. I think in the new UI/Menu there should be a screenshare button as well so then you can share your screen. Anyways thanks for reading my advice this is just a suggestion of an implementation so I don't really expect much of it. Thanks!

• RlyRlyKoolKid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

enable an optional screenshare tab / window (similar to the voice call tab, in that the server creator may choose to keep or remove this tab.) in servers!

• Dave Seah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is how i had hoped streaming video chat would work in the initial release, not as a group-only thing. Would be great for webinars and live presentations.

• ☀ 旭 Rising Son 旭 ☀ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The possibility to do a webinar or meeting where people can join in, there is a possiblity of sharing audio, screenshare and participants to 'raise hand' to ask a question

• Mine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My ideas sound the same as everyone else but how I see my idea is that you have a text chat, voice chat and video chat. for the video chat when you enter it the layout would change to the private call layout so you can still see the chat and then you can show people what your doing. This feature would help another of people as if a group of people working on a project they could show each other what they have or what their ideas are. I know this will probably not happen but I thing it worth a try putting something here you see to see.

• Alex/Pika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think it would be a great thing to have on discord cause you can have video calls in servers so that you wont have to make a group chat and start up a video call that way and i think it would be a great thing for roleplay people like me and many others to do things like live school lessons and so much more

• {ケオラ-gang$ta}新タイドの神 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would really love to see this idea put into motion. Right now, I am trying to introduce discord to my japanese dorm, and if this was put into motion, it would really aid in convincing them that discord is the way to go. Imagine all the possibilities. Video livestreams, face-to-face interactions without being close to each other. The possibilites are ENDLESS!

• אк๏๒гค commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be cool if thre were video channels within discord. I think it would be great for podcasts or streamers with big discord servers. Maybe only the streamer or podcaster would be able to stream their video feed and the other ones who join won't have their camera on unless the streamer/administrator gives them permission to.

• linear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must have for us. We're doing a startup where we work remotely, and screenshare is a big part of our daily routine. However, we'd also love to join a channel for the visibility of it. Like, "hey, Bob is in the standup channel, let me hop in there and demo what I did yesterday". Video channels would be awesome.

• andy.czerwonka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, for our use case, the voice channel is almost always a screen-sharing channel, so it's a major pain. We have to get out of the voice channel, great a group DM, etc. I'm ok with the 8 person limit, stuff like that, but I don't see the reason why we can't share screens directly from there.

• PandaBoy444 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be amazing! Me and a few people are working on a project and we swap information back and forth and talk about things buy then when we need to share something we need to get odf the server and start a group dm?! Like wtf

• Tex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd be more of a fan of unicast, that being someone in a channel or even just the server can cast one stream of audio/video for those who wish to view it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base