How can we improve Discord?

A new "video" channel type, for server-wide video share

We have voice channels, text channels, DM Channels, and Group DM's.

Video is coming to discord, to DM channels, to Group DM channels, but not to servers.

If servers had "Video" channels with their own permissions like, "connect to channel", "send video", "send audio", "view video", "hear audio", etc, that would be so useful.

Think of the possibilities, bots can play videos and everyone can watch them, bots can control what plays.

We could have stats channels, like say a tournament is being ran, you could make a bot live show the tournament/game, with stats, information, just like watching a real tournament.

We could have "video announcements," like a bot just scrolling through news and stuff constantly, on a loop.

and so many many many many many many many many more possibility, it could change communities on Discord forever. (ex NGNL and other Discords).

If you have any other "ideas" that could happen if we had such a thing, please do share it below.

If you agree! PLEASE UPVOTE! LETS MAKE DISCORD BETTER THAN ANY CHAT APP THAT EXISTS!

3,969 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

bin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

232 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • A👻 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Video call and screenshare in server would be super useful as people are having to make new groups from out of their servers just for screenshare and video calling and it will be really convenient to have everything in one place. it could look like this https://imgur.com/a/V84WN

• Power Fever commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Video calls could be the third type of channel in servers (text and voice being the first 2). Video calls in servers could be helpfull as there i) it is super convenient to have as you can quickly move to thay channel instead of being forced to starting a group call. ii) there are so many potentialities for bots such as: youtube video watching as a group etc through the screenshare feature.

• Sve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love this idea! Hopefully it makes it way into the client as soon as possible!

• Большой енот с розовыми щечками commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add "video-chat" so that you can talking with web-camera or say to bots "show a film or cartoons and other". And add chat for "video-chat" on the right.
    Permissions:
    Show web
    Write on the chat
    Say
    (further did not invent)
    P.S. Sorry for my English as i very bad know it.
    Broadcast a screen
    Say

• Maikeru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like this would be a great idea as well. This would be great feature that can be put into Discord. It's kind of a pain to create a new group every time to do a group video call and having to leaving another Group DM just because there's 3 or 4 others that were made due to having one or two different people. There's also the issue of calling people and annoying other users in that group.

If it's a possible way this is what I would happen in a public server.

We already have Text Channels and Voice channels, it would be cool to create a Video Channel. When joining the Video channel, it'll have a drop down from the top of the Discord Server with the video chat as if you were in a Group DM.

This helps to keep conversations in one area and not spread out to different group DMs. Not trying to be picky but those would be nice feature. :)

• Steffen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is what I thought initially the solution would be,what a letdown! Please implement!

• Hazard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel it would be a really cool and unique idea if we could have video chat in public servers. Currently video chat is only implimented in group chats and private chats. If video chat was added to public chats it would be a unique feature to Discord and i am sure lots of players would love to see this idea come to life.

• YesPlease commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean I love the idea, but I'm worried about the kind of stress that could put on servers. If they can find a way to minimise the bandwidth usage and allow servers to have them with little issue, I'd be all up for it.

• CyborgDuderino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Imagine being able to play the Jackbox Party Pack with Server Members? would that not be amazing...

• Cyborg Unleashed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion, this is a good idea, although there is a problem, and that problem is that it would be quite a strain on the server network.

• Angle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quite simple. Have video channels. In which users may use their webcams or screen share.
    For example:

Meeting room 1
    Meeting room 2
    Meeting room 3

Once you join a meeting room you can screen share your graph or presentation and the like.

• Bobbyguy1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello there Discord team, I was wondering if in a future update if this idea is voted on, if it could be included.

Imagine that you are having a Gamenight with your friends on discord, and you all want to see each others screens, in this update, there would include a special channel like voice channels but to view other people’s screens who joined that channel. The maximum amount of people would be 4 and the minimum would be 2. So, what do ya say? You in?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base