How can we improve Discord?

A new "video" channel type, for server-wide video share

We have voice channels, text channels, DM Channels, and Group DM's.

Video is coming to discord, to DM channels, to Group DM channels, but not to servers.

If servers had "Video" channels with their own permissions like, "connect to channel", "send video", "send audio", "view video", "hear audio", etc, that would be so useful.

Think of the possibilities, bots can play videos and everyone can watch them, bots can control what plays.

We could have stats channels, like say a tournament is being ran, you could make a bot live show the tournament/game, with stats, information, just like watching a real tournament.

We could have "video announcements," like a bot just scrolling through news and stuff constantly, on a loop.

and so many many many many many many many many more possibility, it could change communities on Discord forever. (ex NGNL and other Discords).

If you have any other "ideas" that could happen if we had such a thing, please do share it below.

If you agree! PLEASE UPVOTE! LETS MAKE DISCORD BETTER THAN ANY CHAT APP THAT EXISTS!

3,299 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

bin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

163 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Thomasr3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a solution where maybe 3-5 videos/screenshares can be viewed at the same time in a voice channel would be enough.

You could either do "video push-to-talk" where one person who really needs to be on screen can jump in with their camera feed or screen share. Or a channel admin can assign people to be on camera or to share their screen while the others can chat via voice or keyboard.

• TimbreWolves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it'd be cool to be able to setup video channels the same way as voice channels so that people can hop in and out of video calls/chat easily without having to go through and call one person, then add people to it one by one. This way people who regularly use video calls (online DnD maybe?) can just hop in and out as needed instead of having to setup a room and invite people every time they need to use the video chat. This could also be used for people who use the service for business, maybe even the Discord dev's themselves?

• KijonaiaArt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! Maybe limit how big the server/channel can be to reduce the toll on Discord, but it would be a great option, especially for users who integrate Discord with Patreon for exclusive rewards.

• Shay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry guys, but I don't think this will or should ever happen.
    Discord screen sharing is not meant to be a livestreaming service, if you want to share your screen to an entire community use something better suited for that, Twtich, YouTube, Hitbot, etc.

• Grimlore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great for the VTT server we have. Currently, we need to use hangouts (yuck) for voice & video and then join a discord channel and mute ourselves to have access to our music bots.

Please make this happen so we can ditch other programs and just use discord for everything. Hell make it a paid feature if server strain is too much!

• LuckyLime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create a separate video channel feature with hard limit of maybe 10(?) or less people. This would allow servers to utilize video calling but prevent too many people getting into a single call.

• xstarmax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs a LOT of horsepower. Maybe next year, when the guys get more servers from all that juicy NITRO stuff.

• PhoenixDown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this happen. Discord is big with not just gamers but the art community and we could bring a more intimate live experience to our discord users. Even if it has to be limited to a short amount of time or has quality restraints, please consider.

• Luke18033 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good idea, but it seems like things might start getting laggy when there are a lot of people sharing video at the same time. There's probably a way it could be done, but I can't think of anything at the moment. Upvoting the idea anyway.

• TigerDragonB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this would be too much for discord servers to handle then maybe this feature can be added as another nitro benefit. I would so buy nitro if that was added. At the moment nitro is not worth the money for me.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base