How can we improve Discord?

A new "video" channel type, for server-wide video share

We have voice channels, text channels, DM Channels, and Group DM's.

Video is coming to discord, to DM channels, to Group DM channels, but not to servers.

If servers had "Video" channels with their own permissions like, "connect to channel", "send video", "send audio", "view video", "hear audio", etc, that would be so useful.

Think of the possibilities, bots can play videos and everyone can watch them, bots can control what plays.

We could have stats channels, like say a tournament is being ran, you could make a bot live show the tournament/game, with stats, information, just like watching a real tournament.

We could have "video announcements," like a bot just scrolling through news and stuff constantly, on a loop.

and so many many many many many many many many more possibility, it could change communities on Discord forever. (ex NGNL and other Discords).

If you have any other "ideas" that could happen if we had such a thing, please do share it below.

If you agree! PLEASE UPVOTE! LETS MAKE DISCORD BETTER THAN ANY CHAT APP THAT EXISTS!

550 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

binbin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • XCanGXCanG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is a revolutionary idea and Discord may be a way more interesting, than other communication services!

• GoomsterGoomster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gary If you've seen the sneak peek of the picture like I have the video looks crystal clear. Its going to be awesome, also be on the lookout for Screen Sharing but, Channel Categories will be coming out before all of that.

• GaryCXJkGaryCXJk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the main issue at the moment is, will DM video even work good enough at the moment to be ported to a server wide video thing? Like, I can see why they only want to enable it for one-on-one, they first want to make sure it at least works properly.

• PhleetPhleet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so i just read a comment that i totally should have seen coming ._.

anyway, i figure a good addition to this is to set it so that players can be flagged as inappropriate streamers with the click of a button and then the last 30 seconds or 5 minutes or whatever is recorded and sent in for review?

adding to this, i think it'd be badass to have a cut-in system where you can have a small thumbnail of your webcam's display and if you're actively speaking loudly, moreso than needed to pick up your voice, it enlarges the video size to add emphasis.
    something like this : https://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ohpso2/images/4/48/Pso2_cutintest.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130509210908

and finally, i think it'd be useful to have an option set so that only people with the appropriate roles can stream video. for bonus points, add in options for the server to set whether you need a role to display or not, if there's a display length cap or whatever, NSFW rules or not etc.

• FucklessFuckless commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like you said, video is coming. How about you wait to see what features are available instead of making a suggestion for something that isn't even released yet?

• ExanimemExanimem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't agree with having video-specific channel. It should be a permission in any voice channel to be able to share video or not.

• flowerboyflowerboy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

god i cant wait for video to come out. you could have a channel dedicated to watching tv shows and movies and youtube and shit. so many possibilities. i really do hope it has computer audio sharing along with the video.

• [MiX] xdMatthewbx[MiX] xdMatthewbx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

guys guys ik how to convince discord staff

if you add this, discord could become a streaming platform, and you could make this nitro users only

kthxbye

• The SingularThe Singular commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

fuck no dude I don't want to join a server just to see video of some guy spreading his asshole wider then the stars

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base