How can we improve Discord?

NSFW as a server setting

Okay, we have NSFW flagging of chat channels, GREAT work. Can we have a way to just mark the whole server NSFW? I have 21 channels now with "NSFW-" before their names...

161 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DamagedDamaged shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • #MinorTom#MinorTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@PunchFox You still need to mark the channels as NSFW because otherwise people that post 18+ Content Violate the ToS and their account could be suspended.

• DamagedDamaged commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@PunchFox The point of NSFW channels is to disable the adult content filter, and to stop users from being subjected to possible account suspension due to ToS violations. I already had a "landing channel" on my server, where my bot would tell people to verify they are 18+. This is still in place, but to protect everyone's accounts from false violation claims, all the channels need to be marked NSFW. All we want is a way to flag the whole server to be exempt from this filtering.

• PunchFoxPunchFox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it's the whole server, just spend ten seconds vetting the people you invite. The point of NSFW channels is to make it clear certain spaces are NSFW when you have a mixed audience. If the whole server is for one audience, this is completely pointless.

• digimbytedigimbyte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be nice to have a mature setting, to be fair, 18+ isn't exactly ideal as other geo-locations have 21 and others 16. something to consider if making a filter that's NSFW vs 18+ vs Mature vs Adult.
    I feel "Mature" is a good title with the implication of 'adult' + 'NSFW'

• slavaseshslavasesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, my server isn't all NSFW, but we don't want minors, period. Having the ability to mark an entire server 18+ would be wonderful.

@timmyRS Look at the image I linked previously, of the channels that aren't tagged NSFW, there is "rules" "announcement" and "logs"

The server is NSFW.

From staff: Sorry for the late response on this one. We thought that prefixing channels with "nsfw-" would be a good delineation that the channel contains NSFW content. We've listened to the feedback on this one loud and clear - and we'll change how this behavior works in a future update - with a better design that doesn't require you to all prefix your channels with "nsfw-" while still showing an age gate.

So soon we can say goodbye to:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/278734313019801600/308122083152625664/unknown.png

• RollingTheOCRollingTheOC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, having the prefix "nsfw-" on every single one of my channels in my chat annoys not only me but the other members in my server

• SollaceSollace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seconded, plus it has the advantage of being able to ask before someone gets into the server, and optionally nope them out of joining if they don't consent.

@Chrees

I understand that. I use a bot (Red) to handle new users and all channels except for one (plus rules/announcements/logs) are hidden until they are greeted by a mod. So in truth making sure they see the click-through would be easy, but it still stands to reason that a general "this whole server is for adults" option would be nice.

• ChreesChrees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@nsfw-Damaged I think what Mikesky is trying to say is that labeling the default channel as NSFW will (usually) force the user to see the NSFW popup upon first joining a server, effectively letting them know right away that it's an NSFW server. However, that doesn't work if an Instant Invite is given out for a non-NSFW channel, plus it's not what OP is asking for to begin with.

As it stands unfortunately the rules state that "Channels that intend to share NSFW content must be marked." I can understand the frustration of having to rename ALL of your channels to include the NSFW prefix, which is probably quite the eyesore, so I think this is a perfectly fine suggestion. I'm not sure whether I agree with this or not, just trying to clear up some confusion.

• BlankBlank commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you, I highly recommend discord add a way to skip the "nsfw-" prefix entirely and add a nsfw option to turn the entire server nsfw.

@Mikesky

From customer service:

Hey Byron,

Thanks for the feedback! I hate to rain on the parade here, but unless something gets changed on our end (totally possible, we're always open to new suggestions) changed on our end, I'm afraid it is recommended slap the NSFW tag on any channels containing NSFW content. I'll be happy to pass your input along to the team in the meantime! If there's anything else I can help with, feel free to let me know here!

Cheers,
    Cilantrelle

@Mikesky Is that official? I don't want my users getting accounts suspended for my mistakes

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base