How can we improve Discord?

Audit log if messages are deleted

I agree with the stance it's the user's right to delete their message and have it be deleted, I think it should be logged that a message was in fact deleted, in what channel, by who, and who's message. With reasons. This would allow you to see if a mod is deleting tons of messages for no reason quietly, or if you swear you saw something suspicious and you think it got deleted, you can check that. No message content needed.

908 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ExanimemExanimem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Im RockIm Rock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can you make it at-least return who removed the message in on the on_message_remove event (regardless if they're a member or bot)

• turtleoogwayturtleoogway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I think it should be a separate permission from the audit log though, as privacy is important. As a server owner, I'd like to know what these messages said to get them deleted by one of my mods. I've had it happen where no one's story can be verified due to them deleting their own messages.

It should be an expand option to see what the message was, that way you don't have to look at whatever it was unless you click to expand and see what was deleted.

• DarthDarth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a message was deleted by a moderator, the actual message that was deleted should be displayed inside the audit log, to make it easier to see who did what, and why.

• Thunder33345Thunder33345 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 -1
    An issue with this is simply confidentiality, what if someone posted something private and the mod deleted it for that reason?
    On the good side of things we can actually see what is deleted, which allow owners to for example verify mod's claims
    But i doubt that will be implemented due to reason one, i believe discord respect user's privacy more then anything
    But it would be nice to have a "reason"
    If you really want a log, just go get a bot

• PatriciaPatricia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want to sound rude but this idea is horrible. This idea will overload the audit log and kill it.

• Peter C (SolidBlocks)Peter C (SolidBlocks) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Discord should record messages in the audit log. This way, channels can gather proof of words others have said & deleted.

It's pure annoyance when someone has said something bad, but you can't use evidence against that person.

Or just when you get pranked by someone who made a message and deletes after you replied. *sigh*

• nikolanikola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be nice if deleted messages would be shown in the audit logs, currently it only shows who deleted it, but i think it would be better if the message that was deleted was there too

• OSCAR__WOS__OSCAR__WOS__ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought I would like to add onto this.

Currently through Audit Logs when a Moderator [Permission: MANAGE_MESSAGES] removes Someone Else's message, audit logs are very vague on what it returns.

It comes down to this - The Audit Logs only provide the following

Who deleted the message,
    Where it was deleted,
    Who's message was deleted

From those 3 variables it gets quite hard to locate the actual 'Message' that was deleted. I was wondering if it would be possible for whenever a User / (Not a Bot) deletes a (single message) to be able to return some sort of reference to the message being deleted. Whether it be a message snowflake (id), or anything along those lines.

Thank you for reading.

• {IGN} JcWolf{IGN} JcWolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want there to be a way to see an edited message unedited or a deleted message whole because in my server I've had issues where someone typed and said something very offensive deleted it and we had no proof so if we had this it would prevent people from being able to insult someone and get away with it so easily. (And yes this is the internet you will get insulted but this can help stop it)

• FurenikuFureniku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 - it would be very useful.
    It'd also be useful to see messages users deleted themselves, so when they claim they never yelled abuse at another server member we have the evidence to say *yes you did.*

• ExanimemExanimem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to see if someone has been posting images that have been getting caught in the filter would be useful so we can deal with them appropriately

• slixxedslixxed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As of now you cannot see what the deleted message was, just "a message has been deleted", I think we should be able to see the message which a moderator deleted.

• BakugouBakugou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping for this as well. Maybe an option to exclude members or bots based on the role you've given them. So for example, the audit log ignore activity from one member because you've given them the "Non Audit" role or whatever you'd like to title it.

• SakshatSakshat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Audit log can become very messy and can be just like a useless spam in the logs , we have bots who have there own logs for users deleting there messages like Rhino.

• KronogenicsKronogenics commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having deleted messages be stored inside of the audit logs (maybe a server setting?) this would allow servers to have things like ban appeals etc.

• RusianmophiaRusianmophia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would just be nice to see the actual message that was deleted, regardless of who deleted it. This would prevent people from posting offensive or harassing content and being able to instantly delete it right after. Also, corrupt admins wouldn't be able to kick or ban members after deleting a harmless message, only to tell the server owner that it was a message worthy of the ban hammer :) (Yes I've had this problem and I'm sure others have too)

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base