How can we improve Discord?

Audit log if messages are deleted

I agree with the stance it's the user's right to delete their message and have it be deleted, I think it should be logged that a message was in fact deleted, in what channel, by who, and who's message. With reasons. This would allow you to see if a mod is deleting tons of messages for no reason quietly, or if you swear you saw something suspicious and you think it got deleted, you can check that. No message content needed.

1,331 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Exanimem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

50 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andy - The Priest of Gamers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Might I also suggest that the audit log also keep a copy of the message that was deleted, to be displayed when clicked. When people complain that a message broke the rules, and we go to check, but the message has been deleted, knowing that the message has been deleted in the audit log doesn't help us if we don't know what that message said.

Usually I suggest that people screenshot messages like that, but that's not always going to be an option. I also have a situation currently, where a user was causing trouble and I forgot to take a screenshot. You can see in the audit log that I deleted four of this users messages, but no one can see what these messages were.

• Tuna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's been a problem in some servers I'm in where people are posting messages that break the server/discord rules, then they delete them soon after. Admins can't see in the audit log when people delete their own messages, so there's no proof to mute/ban the person. If we had a section in the audit log for people deleting their own messages, it'd be really helpful for cases like these. Also having an option to not show this in the audit log might helpful too, since there would be a lot of people deleting their own messages for non-malicious reasons.

• EliT3_ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment, Audit logs only show messages that were deleted by OTHER users, I was thinking it would be a lot better if you could see messages that someone deleted themselves.

• Good Boye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this, mainly because I have a friend who purposely deletes other's messages that he doesn't like, and it gets really annoying because it's pretty much abusing the fact that he's a server owner.

It probably should eventually clear the history or something tho, otherwise it's gonna overload the server.

• aeaeaeae commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a great idea, only visible to the server owner. Or people with that role level.

• TestDummy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Audit Log- Show when people have deleted their own message. This means that if someone says something and lies then we will know if anything has happened. Would also help if the message that was deleted showed up in the audit logs too

• Kayon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This. Moderators can have proof in the Audit-Logs for situations like when someone says something rude/inappropriate and then deletes it. Also gives us the opportunity to see another moderator's action like deleted messages for no reason

• garc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good if not only after being deleted you could read the message in the audit log, but also if a mod or owner could delete the message from it. Sometimes mods can do stupid things, and if someone deletes their message and a mod keeps printing it from the audit log and post, there'll be a not-so-stupid mod who would delete it definitely.

• Trooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just now noticed that if you delete a message, you leave no "traces" in audit log. I thought that it'd be a good idea for those actions to show for the case when a moderator abusively or wrongly deletes some messages.

• Sputnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pretty annoying to have members on your server mentioning everyone and/or deleting things they posted ( which also makes you have to scroll down when you click on the channel for whatever reason ), and to never be able to really know who did it. So seeing who deletes what and who mentioned @everyone ( and possibly other roles ) in the Audit Log would be really handy.

• 4g0tt3nSou1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Deleted messages are shown, they just don't show what the message is for spam and ease reasons. I suggest setting up a bot to read messages and log if you want a full log.

• Jack Sky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use a bot like Dyno and configure it to show deleted messages in a channel.

• Shityyscupper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the audit log, it only shows that a message was deleted. If it would show the message that was deleted, that would be very helpful

• Im Rock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can you make it at-least return who removed the message in on the on_message_remove event (regardless if they're a member or bot)

• [GOCLW]GeorgeOnsiAlfy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, it would be useful for bots that repeats what a user says. So a user would say something that violates rules (example, insults) using bots. A mod bot can remove his message, but maybe the bot message stays. So server managers could know who told the bot to do that.

• turtleoogway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I think it should be a separate permission from the audit log though, as privacy is important. As a server owner, I'd like to know what these messages said to get them deleted by one of my mods. I've had it happen where no one's story can be verified due to them deleting their own messages.

It should be an expand option to see what the message was, that way you don't have to look at whatever it was unless you click to expand and see what was deleted.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base