How can we improve Discord?

Audit log if messages are deleted

I agree with the stance it's the user's right to delete their message and have it be deleted, I think it should be logged that a message was in fact deleted, in what channel, by who, and who's message. With reasons. This would allow you to see if a mod is deleting tons of messages for no reason quietly, or if you swear you saw something suspicious and you think it got deleted, you can check that. No message content needed.

501 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ExanimemExanimem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • OSCAR__WOS__OSCAR__WOS__ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought I would like to add onto this.

Currently through Audit Logs when a Moderator [Permission: MANAGE_MESSAGES] removes Someone Else's message, audit logs are very vague on what it returns.

It comes down to this - The Audit Logs only provide the following

Who deleted the message,
    Where it was deleted,
    Who's message was deleted

From those 3 variables it gets quite hard to locate the actual 'Message' that was deleted. I was wondering if it would be possible for whenever a User / (Not a Bot) deletes a (single message) to be able to return some sort of reference to the message being deleted. Whether it be a message snowflake (id), or anything along those lines.

Thank you for reading.

• {IGN} JcWolf{IGN} JcWolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want there to be a way to see an edited message unedited or a deleted message whole because in my server I've had issues where someone typed and said something very offensive deleted it and we had no proof so if we had this it would prevent people from being able to insult someone and get away with it so easily. (And yes this is the internet you will get insulted but this can help stop it)

• BakugouBakugou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was hoping for this as well. Maybe an option to exclude members or bots based on the role you've given them. So for example, the audit log ignore activity from one member because you've given them the "Non Audit" role or whatever you'd like to title it.

• SakshatSakshat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Audit log can become very messy and can be just like a useless spam in the logs , we have bots who have there own logs for users deleting there messages like Rhino.

• JoshJosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. Not sure how it would work but with bots you could possibly log them into one update? Instead of having it update the log every delete perhaps set a min time frame caching any MessageDeleted events and have it consolidate deletes into one audit log update to reduce stress on it?

• GPM1000GPM1000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, the new Audit Logs for Discord Canary are really cool and helpful for my server, but what I think would be even better is if it showed who deleted a message, as that can be a problem a lot of the time. It probably wouldn't be too hard to add, and it would definitely show what staff you can and can't trust.

Feedback and Knowledge Base