How can we improve Discord?

Audit log if messages are deleted

I agree with the stance it's the user's right to delete their message and have it be deleted, I think it should be logged that a message was in fact deleted, in what channel, by who, and who's message. With reasons. This would allow you to see if a mod is deleting tons of messages for no reason quietly, or if you swear you saw something suspicious and you think it got deleted, you can check that. No message content needed.

1,665 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Exanimem shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TambourineBamMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is delete even an option? All it does is give people a tool to help them say things they shouldn't and get away with it.

• Phoenix Queen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any way we can see what the chat said when it gets deleted in audit log? Because, my rules were deleted and i don't remember them. lol I only know who deleted them.

• Delmain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Khisera hit the nail on the head. As the server admin, I need to be able to see what people are deleting in case someone is harassing another user, then deleting the messages to hide it.

It seems like you were considering it a year ago, so what was the decision and reasoning?

• MorbidAntelope commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But what if the thing they deleted was important to the server? What then, where do i go to retrieve the important info for the server.

• Khisera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an admin to a few discords with members who like to get in squabbles and then delete their stuff, I'd really like to see a log of who deleted a message, what it contained, and in what context it originally was. I find my ability to get to the bottom of what happened is diminished when half the conversation is in pieces.

• slipperybiscuit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this in the audit file, at least for a temporary time like 48 hours before official deletion.

• Azenix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is possible through bots already, but would be better with official support.

• Ossein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Audit log should display contents of deleted messages
    If someone wants to delete things arbitrarily and then invent reasons for why it was done, it is impossible to argue against when nobody else can verify the post's contents.

It's shockingly easy to abuse.

• RandomGgames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been an admin on a couple servers where someone has said something, than they delete the post a day later, than they say: When did I say this? It's not in chat!! Than I hate them...

I love discord so much, but it doesn't log when players delete their own messages. I get that bots could spam the log, but at least have it so when users delete their own messages, it shows up in the logs. That would be great!

• JawsHC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we need that, but not with the bots, just make it so that bot deletiong gets put in a different log!

• Voidsealer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a message is deleted, show what that message contained inside the audit logs. This would help prevent abusive deletion.

• Marius Alcadius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just an idea but as an admin for multiple servers and a couple large ones at that. It's come to our attention that when it comes to incidents where messages are deleted. we can't see what the message said in the audit log so when we try to find out what happened, why it was deleted and what needs to be one, we have no evidence but what the person who deleted the message says. so more often than not we end up in a situation where we don't know the whole story. So i believe it would be very helpful if admin could read the deleted messages in the audit log as it would help solve disputes and end confusion at a faster and more reliable speed

• Ciak_994 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to being able, as an admisitrator or as the channel owner, to visualize messages that have been deleted by the same person who has posted it, to avoid people to hide foul/against the rules messages behind the fact nor them nor messages don't appear in the audit log.

• Jarvis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Might I also suggest that the audit log also keep a copy of the message that was deleted, to be displayed when clicked. When people complain that a message broke the rules, and we go to check, but the message has been deleted, knowing that the message has been deleted in the audit log doesn't help us if we don't know what that message said.

Usually I suggest that people screenshot messages like that, but that's not always going to be an option. I also have a situation currently, where a user was causing trouble and I forgot to take a screenshot. You can see in the audit log that I deleted four of this users messages, but no one can see what these messages were. " -Andy - The Priest of Gamers

^^^^

I agree with this 100%
    My current problem is. I am running a discord for my Twitch. I can see messages my mods deleted but I need to know what they were. I have to keep tabs on them especially the newer ones, they might have deleted something that was acceptable.

Twitch is a business and this has the potential to cost me viewers and money, money which does go towards Discord Nitro.

Twitch Support has responded that it will get added to their server feature. Sadly I would 100% leave discord and start using their app if it gets added. In fact I have already started creating all the rooms and voice channels, just in case. In the end it will likely be a backup for if discord ever goes down. Unless they this feature and other features that focus on complete control of my server.

If this was a business application this wouldn't have been overlooked. I understand it takes up space to log messages.

Here is how to solve it:
    You Can make it a Nitro feature with or without an expiration
    You Can make us select a Drive to save Audit Logs client side
    You Can make it so that it expires after 72 hours
    or
    You Can store it in a client side Cached folder and seamlessly integrate it, a la millenial "do it for me cause it's too hard" style :D

---No this is not my streaming account. I don't need the spam that usually ensues, there's twitter for that---

• MrHaon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know that when a moderator deletes the message from another user, the action appears in the Audit Log, but the message itself does not appear. Sometimes it is helpful to know what the message that was deleted was saying. And also show when a user deletes their own message, which is very important, if it is a NSFW post, or something against the server rule. These things would be very useful for staff members. Thanks for your time!

• redlord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if there was an option to see whats deleted that would be great in one of my servers we have an admin under review for deleting random messages but we have no way to check to see exactly what messages were deleted or restore them

• Prangoals commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know its a big ask but I feel it would be helpful if server admins could look at what has been deleted in the Audit Log and not just that something was deleted and who it was deleted by to allow admins to have greater control over what happens on the server.

• Ten ✨ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get a modbot that logs deleted messages since Discord's servers don't save deleted messages and once they're deleted, they're gone for good.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base