How can we improve Discord?

Add the Offline list on sidebar when a server has 100+ members

Or, otherwise put, don't make it disappear when reaching 100+ members.

For me, an admin in three servers, a mod in a few others and a member of various Discord servers, losing this list is just dumb and annoying, and it doesn't affect performance at all for me. (see the last paragraph for me elaborating on this)

Make the function toggle-able or lose it. I want to be able to see offline members in Indie Game Utopia (main server I am admin'ing in.) and others to see it as well, in a server that's made for small indies to talk about their games and stuff isn't it a good thing if they can see who's in there, if a developer they know or like is in there? And with many members being from different timezones, the online users at the same time isn't a lot, so people might think it's a small server.

More on the performance issues thing:
I have been in servers with like 600+ online members, no loss of performance, not even a slight bit and any loss I might have had was if I had other programs open that used the CPU, not Discord. I think it's just a lame excuse to take the feature away and a few months later it will be added as a Brand New Feature™ for their paid Nitro program. I hate to sound cynical but I think the Discord devs are lying about this. Other moderators in my server also think so, and it also bothers them to not have the offline members list, and having to do like 5 clicks to see the member list in Server Setting is inconvenient, on mobile especially, and completely pointless as I stated before. I have seen threads with dozens of people almost unanimously agreeing on this issue as well. Those people also stated no loss of performance when many more members are online as well. Just leave the list no matter how many members or make it an on/off option.

861 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bas-Makes-GamesBas-Makes-Games shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

109 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • MochaMocha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

try going into a discord with over 50k people and around 15k are online i guarantee you will get stutters and lag adding that would be pointless

• Squirt_lelSquirt_lel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree, I run a discord with a verification process that leaves someone in a channel until they verify. Without the offline list I can't know who is hiding in this room unless I look through the memberlist. I've heard betterdiscord mod has such a plugin, but it'd be great to have on discord itself, at least as an option.

• DaijobouDaijobou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Impressive, you mention and can write names like "クロキュー"? And no, that is not a exception, there are many of crytpic names!

btw the server memberlist I can not contact this member directly. I must copy the name and search it. Not really comfortable.

• AnuBiusAnuBius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait, so youre telling me people are using the side member-list for administrative action, and NOT the actual members list in the User managment section of the Server settings?? Its specifically there, has nice alphabetical ordering, lets you do the same stuff as in the members-sidebar AND shows offline/online people alike.

Admins/Mods that use the sidebar and nothing else are just straight up bad at their job and should consider reading up on everything that Discord has to offer in the Server Settings etc.

Also, "A user can't write a message to another if he isn't online.", what...?
    You can still write to someone who is offline. You can mention them, you can find them with the Search-for-friends function etc.

• DaijobouDaijobou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"A user can't write a message to another if he isn't online."
    That's the reason that skype is much better as discord for group chats! I love discord, but after the server reached 100 users, all offline users disappeard and I can't write important contacts. Offline users must not be show as default, but here should be a option to show it and when this only for few minutes.

• GlacialManGlacialMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. A user can't write a message to another if he isn't online. An auto user list channel could be useful (@nickname - @role1 - @role2 - etc).

• LiggliluffLiggliluff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As some has said, at least write out the offline title including a number, but don't show the members (or let it be expanded or paginated).

• StickNikStickNik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A great compromise is that usually, it only shows the number of users offline, but you could expand the offline section to see all it's users, either extending the users or popping up in a seperate hover which is laid out better.

• DEDMEMDEDMEM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think discord should add it, but make it more like an option (idk what it would look like with 101 offline people)

• Tangled_SkiesTangled_Skies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Moderating offline users isn't actually hard on discord. If a user has typed in chat, you can very easily click their name and moderate them that way. If you want to clear inactives, use the prune feature. it's very handy.

• sBeastbumsBeastbum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but no at the same time because then that will make the member list filled, and it would just break the high cool quality of the fine discord widgets and stuff

• denNorskedenNorske commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make this happen.
    It should be up to each of the server owners to decide whether the loading is too harsh or not. The list is useful.
    Make a toggle, easy much?

• Dank Lord Meme ScrubberDank Lord Meme Scrubber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a discord server I've been running for a few years and i can't grow because of offline members being hidden. Everytime i hit 100 members i have to start kicking people, or inactives, or whatever to keep it just below. Otherwise the offline member list is hidden and administrative action becomes impossible.

Discord needs to fix their shit. I already contacted their dev team and they replied saying they had no intention of ever fixing this, and that they've seen this thread. I'm losing faith in this service and am very tempted towards moving elsewhere.

• LewdyLezboLewdyLezbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to be able to see offline users and be able to apply roles to them, if i have a VIP member role, and the only time i can be online is when they're off line, and i want/need to apply the VIP role to them, i cant. Id love to be able to do so, seems fair. And yes, having an option for admins or mods to see offline members is a must as well.

• TiemenTiemen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will not happen since it's done for efficiency and performance reasons.

• Alkali MetalAlkali Metal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reason the offline members are not displayed after 100 users are in the guild, is because if they are displayed it will put more stress on the client for loading times.

• Tre©Tre© commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE, bring back the ability to see OFFLINE users if you can 100 members showing online what is the difference with members being offline shouldn't matter how many members you have plz bring this back asap

• SynergySynergy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, the fact that I cannot see my offline users inhibits my ability as a server administrator to get ahold of offline or invisible server members. As someone who enjoys using the invisible status, it is detrimental that while I use this feature there is no way for the patrons of my server to find my name in an easy and reliable fashion. Being able to view offline users in some sort of collapsible list format or even limited to some number based on most recent server activity would alleviate this issue, and would be a feature that I would like to see in newer versions of your product.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base