How can we improve Discord?

Add the Offline list on sidebar when a server has 100+ members

Or, otherwise put, don't make it disappear when reaching 100+ members.

For me, an admin in three servers, a mod in a few others and a member of various Discord servers, losing this list is just dumb and annoying, and it doesn't affect performance at all for me. (see the last paragraph for me elaborating on this)

Make the function toggle-able or lose it. I want to be able to see offline members in Indie Game Utopia (main server I am admin'ing in.) and others to see it as well, in a server that's made for small indies to talk about their games and stuff isn't it a good thing if they can see who's in there, if a developer they know or like is in there? And with many members being from different timezones, the online users at the same time isn't a lot, so people might think it's a small server.

More on the performance issues thing:
I have been in servers with like 600+ online members, no loss of performance, not even a slight bit and any loss I might have had was if I had other programs open that used the CPU, not Discord. I think it's just a lame excuse to take the feature away and a few months later it will be added as a Brand New Feature™ for their paid Nitro program. I hate to sound cynical but I think the Discord devs are lying about this. Other moderators in my server also think so, and it also bothers them to not have the offline members list, and having to do like 5 clicks to see the member list in Server Setting is inconvenient, on mobile especially, and completely pointless as I stated before. I have seen threads with dozens of people almost unanimously agreeing on this issue as well. Those people also stated no loss of performance when many more members are online as well. Just leave the list no matter how many members or make it an on/off option.

1,650 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bas-Makes-Games shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

215 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • nulljdq commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hiding the offline users is a very annoying non-feature. Please fix this.

• maripaint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quero :l
    é muito chato que não apareça mais ;_;
    Poderiam colocar a opção de ocultar offlines, mas tirar totalmente é terrível...
    abraço

• AirRider commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either have it as a personal setting for each person per member or have it assigned under Roles permission (see Offline members) or make it a collapsible list. It's extremely inconvenient and I want that feature back. It annoys a lot of existing members and moderators who can't help moderate members who are offline without Admin privileges.

• Clijmart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once our server reached a total of 100 users, the Offline Members got removed from the list.
    This is normal, however it can be really annoying.

A few suggestions:
    - In the chats with less members, such as staff chats, show the offline members. There's no real reason not to show it in those chats, in my opinion.
    - Add a permission/option per role, so you could make server moderators visible when offline for example.
    This would give you more options to use.

Hope you guys will consider this feedback <3
    - Clijmart

• Big_Up_GliTch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The offline list disappears at 100 people, if you own a server i think you may know how annoying this really is, it can really hinder the growth, i think the list should be toggled in your own personal user settings instead of just being turned off, this way discord can still be lightweight for those who need it

• CookieOfPower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with making this a toggle on or off feature. Forcing it to happen on servers once reaching 100 is pretty bad. I tried pruning members to drop down below a 100 and it doesn't revert back. My offline member list is perma hidden.

I can still go to the server settings and see all the members that way but that's dumb.

• evanextreme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For large servers over a certain amount of users, the member list stops displaying any offline members, including when they have roles which display them separately.

It would be useful for server admins not just have the ability to display users of a role separately on the sidebar, but also to display all users of a role, regardless of their online/offline status, if they so choose.

• Hoboz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is pretty annoying that I can't see offline users as I own a server with over 100 members. I would like to see this in a future update. If I wanted to message a certain user in the server, I would have to search them or go into settings.

• ✨ Sunrise Land ✨ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

for some reason, the "feature" doesn't go away after some members have been kicked and there isn't a total of 100. I honestly feel like the limit should be made a lot bigger, if not removed entirely. I don't see a reason for it to exist in the first place. I really want to see this gone.

• patsboy272 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of not showing offline people in servers over with over 100+ members maybe make it like 300+ because when people join and they don't see many people online they feel like leaving because not many people are in the server/dead chat. I don't know, just a suggestion.

• CUD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just hit 100 members and noticed this 'feature'... This should not be forced on servers.

• Swig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in the same position here. Server ticks over 100 members and I assume I've messed up a setting. This only discourages server growth in small communities and makes me abrasive toward subscribing Nitro. Discord is great, this limitation isn't.

• Ghostek-Yavuz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want my users to be able to send each other messages, even if one of them is offline and not added as a friend.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base