How can we improve Discord?

Add the Offline list on sidebar when a server has 100+ members

Or, otherwise put, don't make it disappear when reaching 100+ members.

For me, an admin in three servers, a mod in a few others and a member of various Discord servers, losing this list is just dumb and annoying, and it doesn't affect performance at all for me. (see the last paragraph for me elaborating on this)

Make the function toggle-able or lose it. I want to be able to see offline members in Indie Game Utopia (main server I am admin'ing in.) and others to see it as well, in a server that's made for small indies to talk about their games and stuff isn't it a good thing if they can see who's in there, if a developer they know or like is in there? And with many members being from different timezones, the online users at the same time isn't a lot, so people might think it's a small server.

More on the performance issues thing:
I have been in servers with like 600+ online members, no loss of performance, not even a slight bit and any loss I might have had was if I had other programs open that used the CPU, not Discord. I think it's just a lame excuse to take the feature away and a few months later it will be added as a Brand New Feature™ for their paid Nitro program. I hate to sound cynical but I think the Discord devs are lying about this. Other moderators in my server also think so, and it also bothers them to not have the offline members list, and having to do like 5 clicks to see the member list in Server Setting is inconvenient, on mobile especially, and completely pointless as I stated before. I have seen threads with dozens of people almost unanimously agreeing on this issue as well. Those people also stated no loss of performance when many more members are online as well. Just leave the list no matter how many members or make it an on/off option.

1,321 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bas-Makes-Games shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

152 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Loner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I liked Discord attitude towards this subject, but was poorly developed.It is really annoying.The user itself (Server ADM) should be able to allow or not this change. For better communication and quality with the program, we should have the chance for at least make our choice. I hope in the future this could be changed. Thank you.

• ramma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thought I broke a setting, but it was just a server passing 100. Good milestone, really disappointing forced limitation. Can't even see the user list in mod only channels with just a few members...

• CharlesX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you do not want o overload the server with all the names and the avatars, just add Offline(1276) with the number of offline users, that might already help a lot.

• mart-w commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the avatars taking up too much bandwidth really are the issue, the offline members list could also be reduced to just the names.

And if *really* large servers are a concern: I get that. But as the original poster said: Considering that there are servers with hundreds or even thousands of online members, 100 is a ridiculously low threshold.

• Nutsack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i own server with 3k members,whenever somone joins he thinks we have like 200 members,it is really annyoing this should be added.

• I9hdkill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree! We have staff chats where we NEED to see who is in there as we have often changing staff members. Otherwise its hard to see which guy we still need to remove and so on

• -MIDGET- commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this, a toggle-able setting for each individual would be appreciated.

• sparx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to have it toggle-able, the offline list looks ugly with all the washed out colors. I don't have more than 60 people or whatever the cap is to have it off, but I would like it to be off.

• Tashkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree I really do not like that it doesn't show offline members. It makes your discord channel look small when it's not due to members offline at the time.

• RedstoneMaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it so that no matter if you have 50-100+ I want it to be where if you have even 2 members(you and someone else),you can hide/show offline users.

• FishermanAC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hate this. I am a server admin of a student server with 100 members. For new members it does look like we only have 3,4 or 5 members.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base