How can we improve Discord?

Allow only admins/moderators to mention certain roles

For example, let's say there's a beta tester role. We don't want everyone to be able to mention that role, that would lead to tons of spam and abuse. Why not have an option to allow just admins to mention that role instead of everyone?

2,194 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Silicon Valley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

106 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • The Unnamed Engineer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if the allow everyone to mention this role was replaced by a "Define roles that can ping this role" button or "Define what roles this role can ping"

• FlnkR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’d like to see it be more like a perm that can be put on a role that allowed the use of pingable roles, but the role would have to have it turned on to be able to even be mention still. But make it so you can disable pinging of roles for everyone.

• Chimiere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEAAASE add this, we have PUGs role for games and it's a hassle to have to disable and re-enable it constant o that other people cant abuse it!!

• Eternalll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this, I have a public discord with a role system you can join, but I enforce a rule you can only mention the role if you have it yourself.

Adding this as a permission node per role would be great!

• Gerronuma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I'm a moderator on the official Watch_Dogs Discord, and we have actual Ubisoft staff that will pop in from time to time to answer questions and concerns (and the occasional roast) for players and fans. These awesome people have their own role to show that they are there and yes, they will answer your questions. However, we have some people who refuse to wait for an answer, and will tag the entire role to ask a question, or just want to be trolls and annoy the staff. These people have very busy lives, and as such, we have a rule against tagging them. Not to mention, there are a good amount of people in this role; at least 7 or 8. Quite honestly, our users have no reason to tag them, as even though the staff are there, there isn't much of a presence for them, and really, the only reason why users would tag them is for the reason of just being annoying. Even us mods and the admins don't tag the staff. They just show up whenever there's something big to announce or there's a sort of Q&A.

• Creative commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a really amazing and helpfull feature! I don't understand why it's not a thing yet.

• Blaise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should really be a feature.
    In one of the servers I'm admin in, we have a VC role, which is a self-assignable role. We want to use this role to tag people whenever the mods or the server owner want to join VC, so that the people who don't want to be notified every time we hop in VC don't have to be notified with an @everyone, and as a result, our important announcements get more reach, because fewer people are disabling notifications for @everyone and @here. If we have this feature, we could actually use the role as intended, as in notify only the people who want to be notified when a mod or admin joins a voice chat, instead of having to deal with random people tagging it.

• azgoodaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let Admins have hierarchy over pinging roles.

Admins can't mention a role unless they enable `"Allow anyone to @mention this role."` But if we enable this, anyone on the server can mention them.

Hierarchy should override this and ping any of the roles you created.

• HEXLIME commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now, in Discord, roles can either be pinged by everybody, or nobody. (Except @everyone). However, if this was changed, it could fix a huge problem, which is ping triggering. Server admins want to broadcast less important pings, but, someone always gets triggered. If we made a @Ping role a bot could give, there is a risk of a raider coming in and spamming it to death. If a selective ping permission was added, servers could have an addable unimportant ping role, or an auto-assigned but removable all ping role without risk of raiders! It would be awesome! For example: allowing @Host and @Admins to ping @unimportantPing but not @Member or @everyone.

• Red Eyed Tyga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to mention private roles in private channels without @everyone also having perms to @ them would be extremely helpful.

• jonthesquirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mentioning roles definitely needs to have permissions. I might want certain roles and higher to be able to mention that role, but definitely not just anyone. This is desperately needed because nearly everyone suppresses @everyone notifications.

• Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

being able to set a role permissions to mention other roles instead of letting everyone being able to mention that role so basicly
    Mention roles Yes_No
    Allowed roles to mention
    Role 1 Yes_No
    Role 2 etc Yes_No

• Samuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't you hate when they mention @everyone in the announcements channel I know it can be closed for everyone buy I made a role just for that reason so only the ones who like to get notifications can use the role and there for we can mention it. But then I realized that other people have accidently mentioned the role which had a lot of members and also raiders did the same to promote their servers and just to annoy people. so please vote if you like my idea and if it's useful for you.

• .JourneyPlayz ✓ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They should defo change it.. So only admins/moderators Can ping roles.. Because if you have a role that mostly everyone has.. And someone just randomly comes in and pings it.. It can effect your discord Alot. I Really hope this gets updated.

• goat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the only workaround is to have a bot enable mentioning, ping the role, and to quickly disable it again. It's clumsy af and there should be a better solution

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base