How can we improve Discord?

Allow only admins/moderators to mention certain roles

For example, let's say there's a beta tester role. We don't want everyone to be able to mention that role, that would lead to tons of spam and abuse. Why not have an option to allow just admins to mention that role instead of everyone?

1,492 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Silicon ValleySilicon Valley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

56 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • CPTpurrfectCPTpurrfect commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm co-admin on my clan's discord server and i want to be able to set up that only role X can mention role Y.

Example:
    we have @member, @associate and @officer
    We tag @member for stuff that doesn't concern associates instead of using @everyone, but I want to set it up in a way that ONLY officers can use @member and regular members CANNOT

• JackTJackT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh yes please. I'm so sick of @everyone and @here spam. This would stop that.

• KayonKayon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This PLEASE. I host a weekly session where we watch shows/streams together with the people with that specific roles but it's a ping role. Anyone can spam it so that's the thing that bugs me the most.

• JacenBoyJacenBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Part of the issue here is that Discord's permissions system is really wonky. This would be a great first step towards allowing more fine-tuned permissions.

• GrandmasterPoiGrandmasterPoi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why it's not implemented yet?
    Just add the option for top hierarchy group to mention bottom hierarchy groups and that's all!

• MustDestroyAllMustDestroyAll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Role Mentions are able to be bypassed in servers by the owners/mods of the server. There is no way to turn off the notifications from it. So people ABUSE the system easily. It has been an issue since the beginning and I don't approve of this abuse and I'm surprised it hasn't been changed already so members can disable role mention notifications. This discourages communities far too much and shows how people are willing to cheat the system all because Discord themselves are not willing to FIX this problem. To also point out I AM NOT the owner or mod of the server. I am just a member of the server. Please make it an option to disable it completely for server members. Not just the admin/mods.

• kathith1234kathith1234 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe this suggestion is the same as the one above "Allow only admins/moderators to mention certain roles", but I do love the idea.

• Squirt_lelSquirt_lel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ABSOLUTELY yes, this would be amazing. In the discord I run if you want to mention a role you need to go into the roles settings allow people to mention it, mention the role, then go back and disable mentioning so it isn't misused by trolls.

• Mr. GencyMr. Gency commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not possible atm.

I definitely want this so that I can have a role mentioned only by others with that role.

• OofOof commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be useful if you have for example a "donators" role on your server, lets say you want to be able to notify them but you dont want people able to mass mention people .

• LiggliluffLiggliluff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only allowing certain roles to be mentioned by certain roles will make it a complicated cluster to work with.

A solution could be to expand the "Allow everyone to mention this role" into:
    [ ] Allow anyone to mention this role
    [ ] Allow only roles above this role to mention this role
    [ ] Allow only members with special mentions to mention this role

Then in addition to [ ] Allow mentioning @everyone you also have [ ] Allow mentioning @SpecialRoles

• 未知の未知の commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this. As a mod in a big server that would be a usesful addition for mods and admins. Lots of members troll with taggable ranks and having it only be possible for the high ranks to tag would spare everyone the trouble. I like the concept ZeroYami has given with the enable and disable options.

• ZeroYamiZeroYami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is very much needed. There must be many large Discord servers which partly depend on specific tag usage, and they don't really want to feel forced to disable them all.

- Having certain users come in and misuse, abuse, or spam them is a serious problem. The Discord IP ban doesn't work, if people use a proxy to go around it, with enough motivation, the problem will continue. It would be better to work with, or add Hardware ID bans, or Discord client installation ban.

- I think this should be implemented hand in hand with an option for users to manage their role notifications, e.g. enabling/disabling for which of your current roles you want to receive notifications.

- Finally a comment to the original suggestion, each role should have a mention permissions, a list which includes all custom roles, which can be set to:

* be mentioned by [everyone]
    * be mentioned by [nobody]
    * be mentioned by [list of custom roles] {enable/disable}

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base