How can we improve Discord?

Allow only admins/moderators to mention certain roles

For example, let's say there's a beta tester role. We don't want everyone to be able to mention that role, that would lead to tons of spam and abuse. Why not have an option to allow just admins to mention that role instead of everyone?

1,859 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Silicon Valley shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

88 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

being able to set a role permissions to mention other roles instead of letting everyone being able to mention that role so basicly
    Mention roles Yes_No
    Allowed roles to mention
    Role 1 Yes_No
    Role 2 etc Yes_No

• Samuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't you hate when they mention @everyone in the announcements channel I know it can be closed for everyone buy I made a role just for that reason so only the ones who like to get notifications can use the role and there for we can mention it. But then I realized that other people have accidently mentioned the role which had a lot of members and also raiders did the same to promote their servers and just to annoy people. so please vote if you like my idea and if it's useful for you.

• .JourneyPlayz ✓ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They should defo change it.. So only admins/moderators Can ping roles.. Because if you have a role that mostly everyone has.. And someone just randomly comes in and pings it.. It can effect your discord Alot. I Really hope this gets updated.

• goat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the only workaround is to have a bot enable mentioning, ping the role, and to quickly disable it again. It's clumsy af and there should be a better solution

• Enodoc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ExoAkaDeboss Reporting users for spamming role mentions isn't really the issue here. We're looking for the ability to have mentionability be role based for ease of use. It's already possible to disable the @everyone mention for certain roles, and this is an extension of that.

For example, we would only want our "Guild Officers" to be able to use @"Guild Members" to tell them about an upcoming event; we don't want everyone to be able ping "Guild Members" for the same reason we don't want everyone to be able to ping @everyone, but we do want to be able to inform all "Guild Members" at once that the event is coming up.

• ExoAkaDeboss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This can be done by finding a bot or asking someone you know that can to make a !report bot for you yes seeing discord implement cool things like this would be nice but lets save discord time and just make a report bot so you can just do !report @user spamming

• XpertAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's say that you (server owner/admin) have a "poll" role that you want to ping every time you post something in #polls so you let others know you made a new poll. The only option to ping roles is letting @everyone ping them. Why not add some "only let important and sexy people ping this role" option?

• Siege commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this has certainly become a real problem in my server, people constantly using mass pings that are ideally just meant for admin use and it's really annoying my members

• DanteTorn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently you can only limit everyone from @role pinging, including the server owner, rather than have any permissions for role pinging.

I think it'd be useful for the ability for moderators or server owners to be the only one to be able to ping a certain role, if the role is set that only someone with a role able to ping that role is set on them.

I accidentally pinged a role for people who want to be notified on a daily announcement when asking about the announcements, which caused some confusion with a bunch of people suddenly asking why they were pinged. It was my mistake to use the ping (thankfully the mods were understanding) but I probably shouldn't have been able to ping it in the first place. To which the server owner mentioned that isn't possible and after testing it for myself on my own server I found this was the case.

I'm surprised it's not already a feature TBH.

• Merkk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An option to only allow pinging a role, including the ability to ping any and all users in said role, to specific roles.

• Xblade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(Then +bonus points if you can separate @everyone and @here. Again, in a server with thousands of people, perhaps we only want to allow people to contact people here NOW, but not people that are offline to get pinged 1000 times while they sleep)

• Xblade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, if I turn on "anyone" can @everyone/@here, maybe we don't want EVERYONE to be able to use it (our server has 6000 people). However, we want certain roles to be able to be pinged by MODERATORS+ only.

Let's say I have a role "Awesome People". I ONLY want to be able to ping the @awesome people with important announcements. I don't want them to be spammed by every single person on the server by thousands of people. Only mods.

Currently, to achieve this, every time I want to ping them, I need to go to role permissions >> allow @everyone >> I @ping the role >> go BACK to role permissions >> disable it again before anyone realizes.

Same for bots -- this is how you ping @roles is extremely annoying. You have to ENABLE @everyone, @ping them, then DISABLE @everyone immediately after.

• EpicExcelsior commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want everyone to have the permission to @ one of my roles. I would like to be able to let myself and other mods/admins @ certain roles.

• Melisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be useful if we were able to toggle it so that certain roles can tag other specific roles instead of either having it on for everyone or off for everyone

• CPTpurrfect commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm co-admin on my clan's discord server and i want to be able to set up that only role X can mention role Y.

Example:
    we have @member, @associate and @officer
    We tag @member for stuff that doesn't concern associates instead of using @everyone, but I want to set it up in a way that ONLY officers can use @member and regular members CANNOT

• JackT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh yes please. I'm so sick of @everyone and @here spam. This would stop that.

• Kayon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This PLEASE. I host a weekly session where we watch shows/streams together with the people with that specific roles but it's a ping role. Anyone can spam it so that's the thing that bugs me the most.

• JacenBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Part of the issue here is that Discord's permissions system is really wonky. This would be a great first step towards allowing more fine-tuned permissions.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base