How can we improve Discord?

Admin Icon - Give Admins a better way to identify themselves

The idea is that admins could have a small bubble (an icon) added to their profile picture (or name, for the compact view) to quickly display that this user is an admin, withing the actual chat without looking at the member list.

The bubble could be either a custom picture in a very small resolution (hence it being an icon) or a preset (colors, forms, e.t.c.) which can be activated or deactivated for the server. It could be displayed either at the top left, top right, bottom left or bottom right of the profile picture.

I ever felt like it could be easier to quickly identify who has admin rights and who not, especially on big servers where, if you are in a hurry, you may or not may be able to instantly see exactly that. It is just a small addition, the fact that it could be activated or deactivated within the server settings also means that it is no forced change. So a pure addition ^^

647 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

⭐Toobs⭐⭐Toobs⭐ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • NatoBoramNatoBoram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea is incompatible with the current system, where server owners make up their own roles. This idea needs a template for creating an "Administrator" role. In fact, I think it would be awesome to add some preset roles to Discord in such a way that administrators are better identified. Some common roles could include moderators and permanent members (to separate them from @everyone).

• SeanSean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love this idea as a permission role, something like "Display custom server icon" - a way to give icons to certain people, without necessarily being admins of the server.

• ZeroYamiZeroYami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you mean for administrators, or owners? They could add a little crown/badge in the online status marker

• shaelynshaelyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

like the "bot" identifier, except have it say Admin - I like it.
    though, optional is good.

• VR_ServiceVR_Service commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd prefer this for anyone with a 'Show Admin Badge' style permission.
    Reasons:
    - Undercover admins
    - Some staff on servers aren't administrator role

• ❰ζ͜͡'Ynnc❱❰ζ͜͡'Ynnc❱ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could code you a bot that sets an admin icon behind every user that has the admin role if you want.
    If anybody wahts such a bot: Ynnc#8668

• garantiertnichtgarantiertnicht commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - maybe even not limit it to admins but to roles when going the custom image with small resolution role. Other staff members or special members could benefit from an icon too.

• ⭐Toobs⭐⭐Toobs⭐ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And on mobile? Adding to that, seeing a role does not mean knowing if that user is in fact an admin ^^

I had multiple occasions where my admin friend didn't knew who was admin :(

• CobblerCobbler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be nice, but right now you can right click on the user in chat to see their roles.

Feedback and Knowledge Base