How can we improve Discord?

Make minimum window size an optional feature.

Ever since the last update (earlier today), discord has now a minimum window size.

However, this minimum window size is way waaay too big for me. I want my window way smaller than that, I like to keep discord opened on my second screen and I only really need to see the last 2~3 messages.
Right now, discord takes up half of my screen, I don't need or want it to take up that much of the screen.

I can see how it's needed in certain occasions, or how it's handy for a few people. I also know there's been a bug that sometimes makes discord as small as an icon and I'm guessing this is a "fix" for it, but it's certainly too exaggerated.

So, I suggest you to make this either an optional thing, where you can turn it on or off in the preferences, or simply let us choose what the minimum size we want is.

Generally speaking, forcing an UI change that is this simple and that affects functionality on users isn't really a good thing to do, I feel you should always consider keeping the previous iteration as an option for whoever wants it (like you did with the white background discord, which barely anyone uses, but it's great that it's still there for those who want to)

984 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Liyarin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

87 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Veph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The forced window size is extremely frustrating, especially since there's still no way to pop-out a small chat window (which I really think Discord should have). The only reason I can somewhat manage it currently is because I have dual monitors, but I know plenty of people who don't and Discord takes up most of their screen real estate. It's just a chat program, and it should really have an option to size small so people can do multiple things while talking to others.

• Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you @Vanowm and @Zandro This has been bugging me for a while now. My minimum window size was 1400x740 and even on a 4K monitor it took up way too much space. This works perfectly thank you guys!

Developers why do users have to fix these minor things? What good is the ability to toggle the user pane on and off if the window stays the same size? I'd love to see you guys add a toggleable channel pane as well and when you toggle either user or channels pane it automatically reduced the size of the app accordingly. There message boards are full of people asking for the same. Simple things to make people happy!

• DroopingPuppy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is the only reason why I have to halt the update on Discord for a half of a years and have to use the outdated version. And today the former version doesn't work. Discord seems good, but its UI is a pure garbage.

• KarieChaos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't got the option to have a second screen, and having discord taking up 2/3 of my laptop screen is not useful. I'm constantly having to switch tabs while I'm doing things, and its a pain. I used to keep it much smaller, and I didn't mind the button overlap, I mostly don't use those buttons anyway, and if I wanted them, switching to fullscreen wasn't a big deal.

Every update I check again to see if I can resize my screen again and nope. PLEASE fix this, because its rediculous that my chat app takes up almost as much room as my browser windows.

• ludux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I guess I don't actually have to use discord. A /chat app/ should not be so user hostile.

• ludux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's too large on my monitor and takes up most of my screen. I'm not watching video on this, just trying to chat with friends - I don't need it taking up 1/3rd my screen but it won't go any smaller.

• happyfaces321 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you do decide to do this, please make the server/friends list collapsable as to make it so we can still read messages while making the window smaller

• Des commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm someone that's constantly dragging to resize windows to fit my needs on my laptop. The fact that you can't do that on Discord anymore just feels unnatural, let alone the default size is HUGE. But it should have never been forced to begin with.

• vanowm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Zandro nice find! works fine.

The settings file location: %APPDATA%\discord\settings.json

Make sure you quit Discord before modifying it!

Notepad doesn't recognize unix style newlines, so it shows everything in one line, which is fine

Here is entire settings.json file with Zandro's changes for reference:
    {
    "IS_MAXIMIZED": false,
    "IS_MINIMIZED": false,
    "MIN_WIDTH": 0,
    "MIN_HEIGHT": 0,
    "WINDOW_BOUNDS": {
    "x": 0,
    "y": 0,
    "width": 655,
    "height": 333
    },
    "trayBalloonShown": true
    }

• Zandro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fixed by adding to settings.json before "WINDOW_BOUNDS":
    "MIN_WIDTH": 0,
    "MIN_HEIGHT": 0,

...Why does anyone have to do this?

• SrcError commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could not agree more! This is the only thing about Discord that I don't like -- also you all are doing a wonderful job :)

• Ammythyst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please oh lawd please make this window fully customizable! I can decide for myself what width and height it needs to be, thank you very much! This completely ruins the second screen experience for me, where it was once never a problem.

• miranda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot use Discord for casual text only conversations while multitasking because it is way too wide, https://i.imgur.com/xKMiD9K.png very annoying having to eclipse my view everytime i want to respond to someone.

I preferred to use steam because of how little real estate it took up but they are gimping their chat so i'd prefer to move to Discord https://i.imgur.com/abgmqbK.png Heres how nicely it fits.

Split screen isnt great either because it decreases ths browser window's width so much that website layouts change to mobile versions. heres an example with youtube https://i.imgur.com/0uASZnv.png

Someone made a beautiful mockup over a year ago of a super thin interface https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/15673794-mini-interface-layout#comments

• Drayko the Squirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whine, whine, minimum size, I don't care about that, I never had it to where the buttons overlapped, and even then, just maximize the window, I'd much prefer the ability to mulittask instead of alt-tabbing every time I get a notification, and saying that is basically saying "Well, they burned the refrigerator to get rid of the spoiled food, but it's okay because at least there's no spoiled food now!"
    Ruining a core aspect of an app is never a fix by any means, and since this is designed for gamers, yes, multitaskability *is* one of its core aspects.

• vanowm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It might be too big, but with minimum size bunch of buttons overlap each other - that is the most stupidest design I've ever seen.

• theGiallo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've a 1920x1080 93~dpi in pivot mode (rotated 90°) and I keep Discord there, with UI scaled down, because my main monitor is a 28" 4k monitor 153~dpi. The UI is scaled down but not the minimum size of the window. This is very annoying.

• Drayko the Squirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Yep
    The window size doesn't go any smaller than a certain amount.
    There's a way to fix it by adjusting a text file in the roaming folder, but for most people, you can't shrink discord down more than most of the screen, unless they've changed it in a recent update.
    I applied the fix on mine, so I don't know if they have or not.

• Yep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't you just adjust the window size yourself by going on the edges of the window and dragging it?

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base