How can we improve Discord?

Make minimum window size an optional feature.

Ever since the last update (earlier today), discord has now a minimum window size.

However, this minimum window size is way waaay too big for me. I want my window way smaller than that, I like to keep discord opened on my second screen and I only really need to see the last 2~3 messages.
Right now, discord takes up half of my screen, I don't need or want it to take up that much of the screen.

I can see how it's needed in certain occasions, or how it's handy for a few people. I also know there's been a bug that sometimes makes discord as small as an icon and I'm guessing this is a "fix" for it, but it's certainly too exaggerated.

So, I suggest you to make this either an optional thing, where you can turn it on or off in the preferences, or simply let us choose what the minimum size we want is.

Generally speaking, forcing an UI change that is this simple and that affects functionality on users isn't really a good thing to do, I feel you should always consider keeping the previous iteration as an option for whoever wants it (like you did with the white background discord, which barely anyone uses, but it's great that it's still there for those who want to)

723 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LiyarinLiyarin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

72 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • vanowmvanowm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It might be too big, but with minimum size bunch of buttons overlap each other - that is the most stupidest design I've ever seen.

• theGiallotheGiallo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've a 1920x1080 93~dpi in pivot mode (rotated 90°) and I keep Discord there, with UI scaled down, because my main monitor is a 28" 4k monitor 153~dpi. The UI is scaled down but not the minimum size of the window. This is very annoying.

• Drayko the SquirrelDrayko the Squirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Yep
    The window size doesn't go any smaller than a certain amount.
    There's a way to fix it by adjusting a text file in the roaming folder, but for most people, you can't shrink discord down more than most of the screen, unless they've changed it in a recent update.
    I applied the fix on mine, so I don't know if they have or not.

• YepYep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't you just adjust the window size yourself by going on the edges of the window and dragging it?

• BakeBake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I made a similar feedback but I see this was already here and getting votes. The chat window horizontally is HUGE -- it's ridiculous that you can't resize it. And the friends/channels list is also really wide. With multiple monitors, it's not as glaring of a problem, but when I use my laptop, it's so unsightly -- can't even split screen 50/50 with anything else, it overlaps!

• ZulgribZulgrib commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time to ditch discord and use services that doesn't require an entire screen ?

• MérovéeMérovée commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There wouldn't be an issue of needing heaps of options to revert spaghetti "bugfixes" if the policy on bugfixing wasn't hide it under the carpet.

• r543r543 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed(would've been also lovely if we could've had a option for the "pop out" Settings menu, of course adding a "option" for every change is a bit overkill but minimum size should definitely be toggleable(would be nice if we could add a minimum size ourselves as frequently I end up "glitching" Discord where the maximum size ends up being the regular size)

• SpiinsSpiins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a new user, I have to say this is the first thing I noticed when I launched the app: it's way too big!

The member list can be hidden (unlike the server column unfortunately), but that won't let me save that space to reduce the window.

The server and member columns are also unnecessarily big, you could have the same amount of informations in columns half that size!

To be honest, the only thing I need when I'm using a chat is the room's message window, and I guess people using only voice chat don't even need that.

So please, let us just disable what we want in the interface and resize the window as we need.

• Drayko the SquirrelDrayko the Squirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sol, we're not wanting it back to how it was, the problem we're having is that the new minimum they set was way past the range of overlapping icons and pointless to have minimized.

• Sol_3Sol_3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is totally a good idea, however previously there was an issue with overlapping icons a fix for both of these issues would be to incorporate some form of responsive design with a bootsrap (or similar) functionality. I would be 100% behind this. Imagine folding it away as a sort of toolbar, this would be ideal for people with double monitors and limited space incase you watch videos at the same time as gaming (like me :P)

• SILVERSUNSILVERSUN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord used to fit nice and neat in the corner of the screen on my left monitor, now it's interfering with the other apps/windows I have on that screen. Please fix this, it's been too long now.

• ReapzReapz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also love for you to hide the voice chat section if you never use it. Similarly to hiding the user list on the right

• ShruShru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love a way to be able to horizontally resize server, chat and online members columns independent of each other so that I can snap discord to half a screen and adjust the columns to my preference to make readable to me. So + 1 from me. As Riv stated, if it was to fix a UI issue there surely is a solution and I'd be happy to propose one if I knew the constraints

• Dreamscape195Dreamscape195 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm used to split-screening my discord, and this width-locked UI makes things as simple as watching a youtube video and chatting simultaneously impossible.

PLEASE. I understand there was an overlap problem, but honestly if I had to get to those buttons momentarily I could just fullscreen for a second or two - the overlap never bothered me. If we could just get the OPTION to bypass the minimum size lock, even if it has to come with warnings.

• NullmatrixNullmatrix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really do not understand that we have to suggest a change that was already option. The update only hid one problem and created a new problem.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base