How can we improve Discord?

Make minimum window size an optional feature.

Ever since the last update (earlier today), discord has now a minimum window size.

However, this minimum window size is way waaay too big for me. I want my window way smaller than that, I like to keep discord opened on my second screen and I only really need to see the last 2~3 messages.
Right now, discord takes up half of my screen, I don't need or want it to take up that much of the screen.

I can see how it's needed in certain occasions, or how it's handy for a few people. I also know there's been a bug that sometimes makes discord as small as an icon and I'm guessing this is a "fix" for it, but it's certainly too exaggerated.

So, I suggest you to make this either an optional thing, where you can turn it on or off in the preferences, or simply let us choose what the minimum size we want is.

Generally speaking, forcing an UI change that is this simple and that affects functionality on users isn't really a good thing to do, I feel you should always consider keeping the previous iteration as an option for whoever wants it (like you did with the white background discord, which barely anyone uses, but it's great that it's still there for those who want to)

209 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LiyarinLiyarin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • MaizingMaizing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes. I definitely noticed how huge the window is now. I prefer to keep my app windows half that size.

• miraclemangomiraclemango commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My small laptop screen can barely show the discord window and one other window- discord just ends up taking the majority of it. I now have to just minimize discord if I'm doing anything else.

Being able to condense the friends list would help IMMENSELY, as well.

• ShadåvShadåv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Before the last update i was able to use one program on the right side of my screen and Discord on the other (50/50). But since the last update, Discord uses at least 60% of my screen. I use a 1920x1080 screen. It would be better if you could narrow Discord down to 50% of the screen again.

• NinjificusNinjificus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh god this is annoying the crap out of me. I noticed after the patch and was so annoyed. I stream and would also like to see the Discord and my chat and my game and this screen is taking up so much space that I have to push most of it off the screen! Why would they change it to this!

• KenjiKenji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the update the window for the app on my computer takes up about 80% of my screen. I tend to resize it so i could do two things at once and now I can't do that and it's becoming increasingly frustrating. Please can we be given the option to be able to resize it or not.

• gaycuntgaycunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want my discord to be the same size as my teamspeak, thin as fuck, but this update makes it take up two thirds of my second monitor.

• Jules66Jules66 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great enough issue for me that it will likely cause me to move to a different chat client. I do appreciate what you are trying to resolve with the icons however you are forcing your customers to accept this without the ability to choose a smaller size. I prefer to have choices.

I literally can no longer have the chat window pushed to the side of my game clients and have access to both. Very frustrating to say the least.

I do hope you can resolve the size issue as I really like Discord. Perhaps moving the icons to a double row or a drop down arrow or even auto hiding the channel window (or make it a separate window) would work better.

Thanks!

• KingKarpKingKarp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this as an option. The discord UI now takes up 60% of my window and interferes with any other activities that require the use of my desktop.

The forced giant UI is terribly clunky and and annoying and I hope a fix will be implemented very, VERY soon.

• HolyniwaHolyniwa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like a button to slide in and out the chat.
    Sometimes I just want to see the channel list and the viewer list, but not chat at the moment (i may be streaming or something, but i want to keep tabs on activity). But if i see chat activity, I would expand it to see it what's up. It would be awesome to have a button that compresses the screen to hide chat, with a button to expand it back to its previous size.

• CherkCherk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, please, someone needs to make this happen.

Come on, it was so good and now it's a clunky big ass window... What is it, 1995?

• Supernobody_On_MobileSupernobody_On_Mobile commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem. I wanted to make my Discord window smaller but the latest update wouldn't let me. I was forced to launch the older Discord version from the appdata folder. Please make it like previous versions where you can make the Discord window as narrow as you want instead of restricting us and forcing us to have wider-than-we-want windows.

• Wasatch ChiefWasatch Chief commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

at least let us change the size of the chat, channels list, and friends list size to make the program smaller on our screen.

• GreyGrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Discord would benefit from a more modular approach, though this would obviously require an almost total redesign of the UI. It would be great to be able to resize or even toggle each component. Regardless, this annoyance hardly rates the abusive language seen in previous comments.

• FeliceFelice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's an idiotic design decision founded on programmer or UI/UX guy laziness. Fix the problems with your UI that make it incompatible with sensible sizing. Don't limit the sizing. That's just idiotic. How about you find a solution to the third of the window that's f***ing BLANK and totally wasting space on my desktop instead? Jesus, it's like no one has any common sense over there.

• roguerogue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Discord on my second monitor which is sitting vertically.
    In the previous version it sat just fine at the right width.
    Now, the minimum width is too wide for my monitor.

The only way to get it to fit is by expanding it to fullscreen, but that means I can't see the afterburner stats I also have on my second screen.

My second screen's resolution is 900x1600.

Please fix this Mr. Discord!

• avdisp86avdisp86 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer to have my discord shrunk down to a fingers width at the right of whatever I'm doing. This way I can voice chat with whoever and If someone posts something I can quickly maximize, review, and reshrink the window. Now it takes up a full two thirds of my screen no matter what I do. I like Discord, and I'm not going anywhere because of this, but It is the most noticeable change in the recent update for me. I haven't actually noticed any other change. Please bring back full functionality to resizing!

• LiyarinLiyarin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, I closed and re-opened discord, and seems this has been "fixed" now?

• TechnetiumTechnetium commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It entirely breaks Discord on High DPI screens, it's impossible to snap the window properly now! It overlaps two thirds the screen! Stop limiting the size of the main window! Some people want a little square on the desktop with only the people in the voice channel. Think of the users that have secondary screens with different scale factors! Think of how many people use Discord on a TV as a secondary screen!

• testing123testing123 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of god, undo the min width. Min width is a godawul idea ESPECIALLY in today's era of responsive design. 500x950 takes up literally 80% of my already limited workspace because I work on a 13 inch laptop. Minimum/fixed width is a godawful UX design idea from the 90s that needs to die permanently.

• frukefruke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please.. I use discord to talk with long distance friends all the time and like to have it tucked to the side of my screen so i can browse internet and watch shows at the same time, but this minimum size screws with a lot of my already cramped space. I honestly don't care if I have to expand the window to access some of the toolbar at the top, I've accepted that (though having the toolbar take up two lines to prevent overlap when sized down would be much appreciated). I just absolutely cannot justify keeping a chat open that takes up literally half my screen.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base