How can we improve Discord?

Screen Sharing without a camera

So I am one of the 5% of the people who can test Screen Sharing, but I've noticed that Screen Sharing requires to start a video call, which requires a camera. Basically, you can't start a screen sharing session without having a webcam. I think we should be able to start screen sharing without having one as I don't really understand why it would require one.

1,036 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bynos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to share my screen, but I do not have a camera installed - so i can't?!

Shouldn't the Screen Sharing and Camera features be separate entities so you can do one without the other.

• Miroware commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nope. You can start sharing your screen through the voice call option as well.

• TheLoneWolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"You don't need a camera to screen share. Enter a voice call, and a little screen share button will appear. I agree it needs to be more obvious or apparent, but it's already possible without a camera."

^ This guy

That`s a terrible Idea, if you don`t have webcam simply the video cam will not work. i don`t understend why you have 747. This has to be a bug =))

You can simply start a voice call and then press the screenshare button, You do not need to press the video calling button.

• GamingFlamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can simply start a voice call and then press the screenshare button, You do not need to press the video calling button.

• MysticSpooker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should try voice call, it does work on that. Tried with a couple of friends and voice call works, it's pretty much video call but voice call isn't turned on.

• King Revoker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My camera has been unplugged every time I screen share and it worked fine. Maybe you are bugged?

• Xblade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"You don't need a camera to screen share. Enter a voice call, and a little screen share button will appear. I agree it needs to be more obvious or apparent, but it's already possible without a camera."

^ This guy

• Chillah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You don't need a camera to screen share. Enter a voice call, and a little screen share button will appear. I agree it needs to be more obvious or apparent, but it's already possible without a camera.

• Emzlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already, I don't have a camera and I can still screen-share.

• Zeryther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lmao I submitted this before I knew that you don't need a camera.

so please stop upvoting this xD

• vonrohawk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been able to screen share without a camera so far. I wonder if there is something else going on that is preventing your from getting it? I think my settings are normal. At the moment, I am screen sharing with my cousin, who doesn't have access to the video calling, and as long as I call her, we can screen share. She has a Mac, with a built-in camera, and I unplugged mine because I don't use it much.

I know this doesn't help much, but I have been able to use the screen sharing without a camera (tl:dr).

• Faeryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From Discord's Change Log:

"We've rolled out Video Chat and Screen Sharing to 10% of our players at random in order to test bandwidth and quality."

"Video chat or Screen Share with up to 10 friends (although more than 5 can be on the struggle bus)."

______

Hard to tell, but it really depends on what Discord's definition of "Screen Share" is ... :thinking:

• Xandarius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify, you do not need a camera to screenshare. I've been able to screenshare and I have no camera hooked up to my computer.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base