How can we improve Discord?

Screen Sharing without a camera

So I am one of the 5% of the people who can test Screen Sharing, but I've noticed that Screen Sharing requires to start a video call, which requires a camera. Basically, you can't start a screen sharing session without having a webcam. I think we should be able to start screen sharing without having one as I don't really understand why it would require one.

673 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • King RevokerKing Revoker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My camera has been unplugged every time I screen share and it worked fine. Maybe you are bugged?

• XbladeXblade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"You don't need a camera to screen share. Enter a voice call, and a little screen share button will appear. I agree it needs to be more obvious or apparent, but it's already possible without a camera."

^ This guy

• ChillahChillah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You don't need a camera to screen share. Enter a voice call, and a little screen share button will appear. I agree it needs to be more obvious or apparent, but it's already possible without a camera.

• EmzloEmzlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already, I don't have a camera and I can still screen-share.

• ZerytherZeryther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

lmao I submitted this before I knew that you don't need a camera.

so please stop upvoting this xD

• vonrohawkvonrohawk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been able to screen share without a camera so far. I wonder if there is something else going on that is preventing your from getting it? I think my settings are normal. At the moment, I am screen sharing with my cousin, who doesn't have access to the video calling, and as long as I call her, we can screen share. She has a Mac, with a built-in camera, and I unplugged mine because I don't use it much.

I know this doesn't help much, but I have been able to use the screen sharing without a camera (tl:dr).

• FaerylFaeryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From Discord's Change Log:

"We've rolled out Video Chat and Screen Sharing to 10% of our players at random in order to test bandwidth and quality."

"Video chat or Screen Share with up to 10 friends (although more than 5 can be on the struggle bus)."

______

Hard to tell, but it really depends on what Discord's definition of "Screen Share" is ... :thinking:

• XandariusXandarius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify, you do not need a camera to screenshare. I've been able to screenshare and I have no camera hooked up to my computer.

• JeremyJeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at the comments, there seems to be a little confusion and a workaround. If you do not have a video device installed, the option to start a Video Call is greyed out and says "camera unavailable" when you hover over.

Using the Voice Call > Screen share sounds like a good idea as a workaround. However, the Help page explicitly tells you to start a Video Call to access this information.

It would be very helpful to have this separated completely. If not possible, updating the help page with information on how to access the screenshare without a video device would be excellent.

• IvandsiIvandsi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You don't need to start a Video Call to Screen Share, just press the button and a button called: Turn on Screen Share besides the Mute button

• DashJavii03DashJavii03 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not have the screenshare, but it would be a great idea to screenshare without camera, because idk why it does require it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base