How can we improve Discord?

Enable pop-out video chat, and allow dragging the box anywhere.

Currently, the video chat function is limited only to when you have discord focused, a 'pop out' button would be a really good idea.

As well, currently you can only drag the window (While in a chat other than who you're calling) to either the top or bottom right, it'd be nice if you could fix it anywhere on the screen.

552 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SodahSodah shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • LaddeusLaddeus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you can make it so the pop-out video appears on top of fullscreen games it would be even better, that is something that Skype is unable to offer, I always have to set the game to windowed mode, and then also pray that in that certain game the mouse won't go over the camera, in that case I would have to make the game window smaller. So far it's great just too bad it works only within the app

• KDDLBKDDLB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Literally the only thing I use Skype for is video. I would gladly rid it from my systems, but no can do, unless Discord implements this basic feature for video chat.

• DrPanCakesDrPanCakes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel in the preview window (the little video window you see when going into other channels while in a video call), you should be able to see yourself; and be able to drag the preview window of the discord app so it can overlay anywhere on the desktop.

• Prof3ssorPantsProf3ssorPants commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to have an "always on top" video window of my friend(s) that I can drag around and place. Although an integrated video overlay on games would be cool too as long as there were some customizations on placement, size, and transparency.

• BetterthanjenBetterthanjen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is when you are using video chats but you want to minimize discord to do other things. Just like skype i am asking the devs to make a pop out window when you minimize the sweet video call you are in but you still want to see who you are talking too

• MaximeMaxime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if the popup that comes out when you leave the conversation during a video call could be visible over all other windows like in Skype for example

• DekuDeku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! This is what's keeping me from ditching Skype, come on discord gods... I know you can make it happen!!!

• selbishikhselbishikh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this! This is the main reason I still went back to Skype, even after I purchased Nitro to be able to try out video call.. Please try to consider adding a small window even when tabbed out of discord!!

• JoopisJoopis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So Skype has this thing where if you're in a video call with someone, you can tab out and the video will overlay in a movable smaller window over whatever you're doing. I like this feature and think it should be implemented so I can see and talk to someone whilst looking at memes. I also think that you should be able to minimize the left sidebar with your DMs and chats while in video calls so that there's more room for the video.

• SimonTheKirbySimonTheKirby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the ability to pop out multiple screenshares into their own re-sizable windows would help make it easier to see multiple screenshare feeds at once.

• jottocraftjottocraft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it so the picture in picture UI is system-wide instea of only the app for desktop client users. I know it's possible on Windows, but I'm not sure about macOS or linux

• seshormerow ⧉seshormerow ⧉ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to be able to use discord while having a full screen video call on another screen! Easier than using two different clients.

• MikeskyMikesky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current Picture in Picture (PIP) window is great for when you're browsing around Discord, but only when Discord is the focused window. I'd like to have a popout video window that will be able to sit over all the other open windows on my computer so I can see the video feed no matter what i'm working on. Skype has a similar implementation, and it would help complete the change if this was in Discord as well.

• EluviaEluvia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

I agree, it would be nice to be able to put the video thumbnail anywhere on any screen we may have, and not have to have Discord have the focus to do so.
    But please, no button for that, the default behaviour should be like that.

• ZoomZoom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It can only be in the discord client from what I know. Make it so that it can be on another monitor and anywhere on the screen.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base